HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2001, 08:02 AM
SC3
Virginia
Joined Sep 2001
58 Posts
*Winter Project* - What's the best KIT?

Whazzup to my fellow pilots~!~ Well, winter is coming around again and it's time to start thinking about what I would like to take out to the field this coming Spring. Quick background: I've been piloting R/C aircraft now for about 1 year - starting with sailplanes and just recently getting into electric flight. I am now building my skills with a hopped up Sky Scooter (which is turning out to be a really nice learning plane. However, I can already tell that the slowflyer's are going to bore me quickly.

Like any true enthusiast - I'm longing for more. So, I ask you --- WHAT IS THE BEST (or just a really good) ELECTRIC KIT?

I would like something in a low-wing design with landing gear if possible. Scale doesn't particularly matter but I really would like for it to be a kit. It seems that nowadays people just don't want to take the time to build their aircraft and would rather have a ARF or ARC or even a RTF version. But I really enjoy building and have a great sense of accomplishment when I finish --- and there's nothing like that! Nor is there anything that comes close to the anxiety you feel when you get ready to put your 3 months of work in the air (and pray that it doesn't crash).

So... any ideas? Thanks a lot in advance!!!

SC3
SC3 is offline Find More Posts by SC3
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2001, 08:54 AM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
The UrbanFlyer would hone your skills but you can build one in a weekend. As much as I want to sell you one, I do need to suggest you look at the SR Batteries' X-250. It gets great reviews.

Doug Binder
www.mountainmodels.com
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
Old Oct 30, 2001, 02:21 PM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,272 Posts
Herr - Windy Day Park Flyer.
One of them is low wing with landing gear.
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Oct 30, 2001, 10:41 PM
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,601 Posts
Hi SC3,

The X-250 makes an excellent low wing sport aerobatic ship with landing gear. Plus you will never find a finer quality kit.

The only negative for the 250 as a winter project is that you will have it finished and ready to fly waaaaaaaay before winter is over!

Best Regards, Mickydee
mickydee is online now Find More Posts by mickydee
Old Oct 30, 2001, 11:17 PM
Keremeos, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 1996
632 Posts
Winter Project

Hmph; wish I had time for a winter project, I am still working on summer projects... I am still jerking around with E-Chargers and a Beaufighter f/f, and getting the ducts on my T33 up to (my) standard. A scale sailplane (or motorglider) will take your time, and provide satisfactory summer flying without too much crash-producing trimming; give it a thought, there are lots of plans around.
Terry Lyttle is offline Find More Posts by Terry Lyttle
Old Oct 31, 2001, 10:19 AM
Formerly of mcba fame
Luxembourg
Joined Apr 2001
3,007 Posts
Terry,
I know this is irrelevant but a couple of issues or so back in EFI there was an article about turning your T-33 into a He163 Salamander that flies much better. Might have been the August issue.
Matthew Allen is offline Find More Posts by Matthew Allen
Old Oct 31, 2001, 10:47 AM
SC3
Virginia
Joined Sep 2001
58 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. I was really looking for a serious kit --- not that thet x250 isn't. But anything that can be assembled in one weekend may as well be an ARF. Here's some examples of what I had in mind:

House of Balsa's Spacewalker

Herr's Pitt Special

House of Balsa's Decathalon

Anyone have any experience with these or other electric conversions? I may just end up going that route... ???
Old Oct 31, 2001, 11:01 AM
Super Senior Member
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Feb 2000
3,396 Posts
If you want something you can really dig into, try building from plans. Its much simpler than you might think, and you get to control the wood, you get to pick from THOUSANDS of available plans (which are not always available in kit form), and you get a one of a kind plane that you can be proud of. I only recently started plans building planes, and its very easy and very rewarding. So far I have built from plans:

Sport Twin
Jim Ryan P-47 Razorback
ME-262 2x6v400 prop driven

and am now working on a sp400 B-25 and sp400 BF-110 with retracts. Both projects are good to spend serious time on, but also build really easily. You can even get foam cores for the BF-110!

Greg
Slope Nut is offline Find More Posts by Slope Nut
Old Oct 31, 2001, 11:19 AM
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,601 Posts
Hi SC3,

There are reviews here in the E-Zone for all three of the planes you mentioned. Check out the archives.

Best Regards, Mickydee
mickydee is online now Find More Posts by mickydee
Old Oct 31, 2001, 01:33 PM
Silver Lake, Ks USA
Joined Dec 2000
602 Posts
Its a cabin plane, but take a look at the Electric scout also...http://flyinglindy.homestead.com/escout.html

Randy
RandyL is offline Find More Posts by RandyL
Old Oct 31, 2001, 02:05 PM
Kent, Wa.
Joined Feb 2001
641 Posts
If you want a serious challenge that is not expensive, look at converting one og the Herr or Dumas RBFF kits.

Two low wings I am planing to do are the Herr Ryan ST (as a PT-20) and the AT-6 Texan (as a SNJ).

These airplanes can be made to fly nicely on an S280 system.

Robbie
Rotten Robbie is offline Find More Posts by Rotten Robbie
Old Oct 31, 2001, 05:09 PM
SC3
Virginia
Joined Sep 2001
58 Posts
I think that Greg has kind of hit the nail on the head. I'm really looking for something that I can really sink some time into and make it last. I'm not worried about how long it takes - the longer the better. With the cold weather setting in, it'll be late march before the bird will probably hit the runway so I would rather it take a good chunk of time at a moderate build rate.

So where can I look at some plans? Websites?

Robbie, I had considered do a conversion - that's why I listed the spacewalker and decathalon kits above. The only concern that I have in that avenue is that, not only would I have to take the time to build it, I would have to take a SERIOUS chunk of time to educate myself on HOW to do the conversion. Like I said, I'm a sailplane kook - just learning about electrics. I'm not quite sure that I could do a good conversion without some intense learnin' first. Or is it less difficult than I'm making it out to be?
Old Oct 31, 2001, 05:53 PM
Super Senior Member
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Feb 2000
3,396 Posts
Email Mark Rittinger (mrittinger70@hotmail.com) about plans he has. I find them to be great for first time scratch building. In fact, the Sport Twin designed by Mark was my first plans built plane!

He has plans for lots of warbirds. He has a Westland Whirlwind, ME-262, Mosquito, B-25 in the works, and there is a free plan you can download from the Ezone called the Python (p-51 reno style plane). Also look for Fanman's posts here. He is working towards making great CAD plans available for people at a really great price.

Greg
Slope Nut is offline Find More Posts by Slope Nut
Old Oct 31, 2001, 06:34 PM
Always looking UP
Lilburn, Georgia, USA
Joined Nov 2000
2,361 Posts
Welcome to ezonemag SC3

Ive got gazillions of plans, lots of warbirds, name a few planes, I'll see what I can do. Want GIANT...A6M Zero, BF or ME109 (have to check) Wildcat, P-40, Dewoitine 520, PT19 Trainer, Texan...you got the idea. Most all can be scaled to your specs, email me if you like (rcplan@bellsouth.net)

FANMAN
FANMAN is offline Find More Posts by FANMAN
Old Oct 31, 2001, 08:18 PM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
plans

Another good source for plans is Bob holman plans service.i've got his ,THE BEST in scale dream book that has a s*** load of plans you can buy from him. www.anglefire.com/ct/bhplans.the january issue of m.a.n. has there complete collection of plans in it also.happy hunting.stefanP

Ghost rider requesting a fly by.
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44