SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 07, 2012, 10:57 AM
Motors beat engines!
Milwaukee Wisconsin, United States
Joined Feb 2001
4,564 Posts
Discussion
A better prop for Eflite Carbon-Z

I was looking to get into something a little bigger and more powerful, perhaps .40 class for some pattern flying practice when the first ads for the Eflite Carbon-Z showed up.

It seemed a pretty good flyer with plenty of power and was indeed quite fun to fly, about what I expected of it.

While the plane flew very nicely, I wasn’t pleased with the short flight times and low top speed, which was partially caused by the stock prop. At 125.25, it made excellent thrust, but required a lot of throttle to just maintain level flight. I tried out an apc 107-e as a Motocalc‘ed best guess at a prop that would draw about the same current as stock. With this one change, the plane flew much more to my liking. It was considerably faster and was able to maintain level flight at around 1/2 throttle. Taking advantage of this, my flight times went from the 4 minute range to more than 6, and the batteries stayed much cooler as well. It still has plenty of power to hover, but seems more powerful in ordinary flight, especially regarding climb rate. It can get to be a speck in the sky very quickly now. I do agree that the 10″ prop looks kinda small on the front of the plane, but its results can’t be argued with. I feel it makes the plane more fun to fly than stock.

Dean
DeaninMilwaukee is offline Find More Posts by DeaninMilwaukee
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2012, 06:09 PM
United States, LA, Gray
Joined Jul 2011
214 Posts
I also think the stock prop is too low of pitch, but I don't have calc so I typically resort to manu specs or guesstimating for prop sizes. For a power-25 sized motor, it should be able to turn a much-more aggressive prop.

Carbon Z motor specs: 25-size 1000kv, 12x5.25 prop

Power 25 motor specs: 870kv, 11x8/14x7 prop range

I may try an APC 11x8 on mine and see what happens. I'm not so much concerned with speed as I am with vertical authority. I goof off alot at low alt, and (while it does already have a considerable power-to-weight ratio) a simple prop change could augment it's capability.
DontTMACajun is offline Find More Posts by DontTMACajun
Old Jan 08, 2012, 09:08 PM
Motors beat engines!
Milwaukee Wisconsin, United States
Joined Feb 2001
4,564 Posts
If you have a tach, you can do a pretty good guess just be comparing your new props rpms to the old ones.
Since the old prop is right at the limit of what the motor can handle, just make sure your new prop has the same or greater rpms, and you then know your safe. I belive the stock prop is around 12.2k rpm, so anything higher should be fine.

Dean
DeaninMilwaukee is offline Find More Posts by DeaninMilwaukee