SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 06, 2012, 07:25 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,582 Posts
Build Log
ToonJet style EPP Parkflyer

I've been wanting to try a ToonJet build for small parkflyer areas.
Its been on the back burner for several years.
I got the bug again, so I'm collecting parts and info.
Heres a video;

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=toonjet
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2012, 07:51 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,582 Posts
The original ToonJet is more of a indoor/calm day flyer, using micro gear.
I wanted something similar for flying in smaller outdoor areas.
This will be my first Tractor/puller wing type build. I'm hoping it will be a bit more stable in pitch with the motor pulling instead of pushing.

Since I want to fly it in small areas and in some wind, I decided to go with EPP and a symmetrical airfoil.
Since its a simple airfoil, I just ordered a wing core from FlyingFoam.
With the wing core lengths available, I would end up with either 18" or about 22"s, getting the most out of the wing core. So I decided on the 22".
I also went with a 12% thick airfoil so hopefully I won't need hardly any wing reinforcement/spar and not be too dragie.
I was going to run a 5g outrunner an a 20"er, but I hate messing with such a tiny motor, so I went with a 10g HK outrunner, 6g esc and either 3.5 or 4.7 servos.

I'm trying to make it a simple build, so I don't have to worry about crashing it into things, like trees and neighbors houses. I'll post some pics when I get the core in.
Butch
Old Jan 06, 2012, 10:20 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,311 Posts
Butch, heres some pics of the Toon Jet that I got a couple of years ago from Bob Selman. This was a preliminary kit, but for some reason it never made the big time, i.e., being available in kit form on his website.

A pity it is/was, since this is a really fun flyer. It's fast, stable and loads of fun. It will slow down some and turn sharply - a needed commodity, since I fly it in a tiny gym!!

Details on the build:

All construction is 2 mm Depron
The black line in the wing is a strip of flat CF, 2 mm wide by about .007 as a "spar"
Rx is Plantraco Micro9 2 CH
Acts are Plantraco MiniActs
Motor is 2gm LCD BL (HK)
Prop is BSD Tri-Turbo
ESC is XP3 3A, 1 cell (HK)
Batt is 90 mAH FR
AUW is 16.2 gm
WS is 10 in.
Chord at Fuse is 5 in
In the last pic, the thread thru the canopy is to verify correct CG after batt replacement
356Jim is offline Find More Posts by 356Jim
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:39 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,582 Posts
I got my wing cores in from FlyingFoam.
I ordered two 30" x 6" cores, enough for 2 planes.
I cut the wings with a 30 degree sweep, like my WildWing Boomers.
I also trimed off 1/8" off the trailing edge because it was so thin.
The wingspan ended up at a little under 23".
The sweep eats up a few inches of core.

I drew out several profile's and finally drew one I liked and cut it out of 9mm EPP and sanded the edges.
So this is my version ToonJet! Hope it flys well. Butch
Old Jan 20, 2012, 03:16 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,582 Posts
One of the unforseen problems on a scratchbuild, is puting the electronics in the right place to get the C/G right and on a FlyingWing, it's even more of a pain.
I can't even put in a small wing spar yet, because the servos might need to go in the same spot.
So I have to fake it till I make it. I hate having to recut hole in a brand new plane.

Therefore, I went ahead and assembled the airframe, with motor mount. Then I'll hang the motor/prop and tape everything else on to get the C/G.

Since its a slowflyer/parkflyer and made of flexable EPP, I decided to make the elevons in the larger/3D size(30%). I used CA hinges, with hold punches on each side to allow them to flex easily.
I still have to add wing strakes, to stiffen the rear profile fuselage, then I'll be ready to start fitting the electronics.
The airframe weighed in right at 1oz, so I should be able to keep it under 3ozs flying.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 02:01 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,582 Posts
I got a chance last night to make the rear strakes. It took a bit of time with the angles.
Before I glued them on, the tail was very flexable. If you shook the plane, it would move a couple inches. Most the time I would add a carbonfiber spar, but once I added the rear strakes, it stiffened up the tail alot.

Then I installed the motor mount bracket and motor.
I have the C/G marked at 20% back and found that with just the motor on it, it ballanced almost perfectly!
But I still have to figure out where to put the rest of the gear.
So out of curiosity, I tossed the plane across the frontroom into the couch and was susprized how nice it flew! Hopefully it will fly as well once done. Butch
Old Jan 23, 2012, 05:29 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,582 Posts
I got a chance to work on the ToonJet a bit this weekend.
I had some 3.5 and 4.7g servos, but decided to just use some of my good GWS Picos.
At 6g's each, the total flying weight was still only right at 3ozs
It need a bit of a spar, and ended up real close to the servos.
But it stiffened it up good enough.
Looks like the rain is going away in the next couple days, so I should have a chance to maiden it this week.

When looking at the design, it looked like I might be able to put a horizontal stab/elevator on it and ailerons with just 2 servos. But I'll have to watch the ballance, since the C/G will move back to 30%, instead of 20%. Then I could compare the 2 flight performances. Butch
Old Jan 24, 2012, 03:48 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,582 Posts
Well I got a break in the weather and took the ToonJet out for a maiden.
Luckly the wind was almost calm.
I taped the batt on to set the C/G at 20% back and a couple clicks of up and tossed it!

Way too much Up! Squirly!

I brought it back in and moved the battery forward several times to get decent mid-cruze level flight. I tried the dive test a couple times and still too tail heavy.
I ended up with a 17% back C/G to get a good flight.

All in all, it flew just fine. A little more stable than my other small Flying Wings.
It has almost pure vertical and slowed down nice and would fly at about 50-60% power.
Loops were tight, even at 70% power. Turns were nice and tight and rolls were good.
At 3ozs with a bit of wind, it did have a bit of a wobble, like some of my slower Wings, but not too bad. Maybe a larger tail later.
After several landings on a dirt field, the prop didn't get damaged even though it would windmill all the way down. Another fun maiden, Butch
Old Jan 28, 2012, 04:37 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,582 Posts
I took out the ToonJet today, flying with the boys.
I flew it with the wind calm and then later with about a 8mph wind.
At 3ozs, it got blown around a bit, but not bad at all.
It could probably handle over 10mph easily!
Now if I get some time, I want to build one with ailerons and a elevator, then compare the two to see the difference. Butch
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:13 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,582 Posts
I finally got to take the ToonJet out on a windy day, with no rain.
The wind was 12mph, with gusts up to 18mph.
Windy enough my eyes kept watering even with my wrap aroung sunglasses, I may have to invest in a set of tinted goggles!

I gave it a toss and away it went. I was able to keep it right infront of me, into the wind at about 60% power.
I had to go full power a couple times when it got hit by the gusts.

At 3ozs, it had no problems with control at all.
It was quite stable and I was even able to even let it go hands off for moments at a time without worring about loosing it.
With a 3 cell, I'm sure it could fly in close to 20mph winds.
Another fun flyer. Butch
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:13 PM
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Joined Aug 2007
90 Posts
Nice to see how you succeeded Butch.
The video of the original is really good, too bad it is not sold anymore.

I am not good at scratchbuilding, but may try this one down the road. So thanks for posting this.
kontakos is offline Find More Posts by kontakos
Old Feb 18, 2012, 01:37 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,582 Posts
This one flys very well in the wind, at only 3 ozs.
I may build another, maybe just a bit smaller, with a 5 gram motor for outside flying.
Butch