HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2001, 06:53 AM
Most Exalted Windbag
Newark, DE USA
Joined May 2001
1,632 Posts
Decalcote for water slide decals, where to buy?

This stuff is supposed to make the decals conform to shape better. I can't find it on the web. Anyone know where to get it?.

Any known substitute? I have some glycerine.

RB
Red Baron 47 is offline Find More Posts by Red Baron 47
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2001, 09:24 AM
Registered Lifeform
Little Rock,AR,USA
Joined Jun 1999
801 Posts
Decal solvent

Nope, glycerine won't work. It sounds like you are looking for a setting agent which actually softens the decal so it can settle into the surface perfectly.

Any good hobby shop that sells plastic models will have at least one variety. There should be hundreds of web hobby shops that have it too. If you go to a real (as opposed to virtual) shop, pick up the latest issue of Fine Scale Modeler magazine which has a good article on working with decals and setting solutions.

Some brand names:

Micro-sol and Micro-set
Solvaset

Be sure to experiment with a scrap piece of the decal first!

Paul
Paul Willenborg is offline Find More Posts by Paul Willenborg
Old Oct 30, 2001, 09:26 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Hi RB, You can probably find it in a LHS that has model railroading supplies. If not Caboose Hobbies has some by MicroScale, a decal company. There are two kinds, Micro Sol and Micro Set, I think you use the Sol first, let it dry then the Set. Both bottles say "softens decals to conform like paint"

http://www.caboosehobbies.com

Search for Micro Sol & Micro Set

Good luck, BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Oct 30, 2001, 09:27 AM
Dave Segal
Philadelphia PA USA
Joined Jun 2001
551 Posts
Micro-Mark sells a decal-setting solution. Go to www.micromark.com/ and search for product no.82397.

Dave Segal
Dsegal is offline Find More Posts by Dsegal
Last edited by Dsegal; Oct 30, 2001 at 09:29 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2001, 09:46 AM
Most Exalted Windbag
Newark, DE USA
Joined May 2001
1,632 Posts
Thanks to all. I'm sure I can find some now.

BC,
I'm getting it in preparation for the Stearman.

RB
Old Oct 30, 2001, 01:33 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
RB, you might want to hold off on the decal solvent. I've been experimenting with the Micro Sol and the sticker decals from GWS and it does not seem to have any effect on the vinyl or whatever the clear sticky part is. If the Stearman has these same type decals I don't think it will help.
I know it works great on decals, will almost disolve them if you're not careful. But IMO it doesn't work on these stickers. I finally got the smaller US roundells on the TM wing by cutting 4 slits in each. BC
Old Oct 30, 2001, 01:53 PM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,273 Posts
My local Wal-Mart has the stuff for softten them up. They had it seperatly and in a "kit" that had a couple of other detailing goodies. It's testors brand, I think.
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Oct 30, 2001, 02:38 PM
Most Exalted Windbag
Newark, DE USA
Joined May 2001
1,632 Posts
Hi BC,

The Stearman comes with real water slide decals as is so "clearly" stated in the German review.

"Again I would like to apply here with that the water sliding pictures to enter. Most beginners make the error the Decals for a long time too waessern, with the result that the Decals after the first flight voluntarily again from the model separate. Therefore, really only completely briefly waessern, even if the schiebebilder separate against-willingly from the carrier sheet. Better is still, one procures yourselves additionally of Humbrol Decalcote 1 and 2, hereby in accordance with guidance muddled results in the best result. The Decals connects itself with the surface sits to bomb celebration and looks as painted, even on difficult coined/shaped surfaces."

Dsegal,

Thanks for the reference. I got the 5 solution kit
http://www.dxmarket.com/micromark/products/82400.html

Also a great adjustable micro miter box to make shipping worthwhile. I need one because my cheap old one is all chewed up.
http://www.dxmarket.com/micromark/products/15215.html
Old Oct 31, 2001, 09:13 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Hi again RB,
DOH! do I feel stupid, You already told me once and I already forgot that the Stearman does have water slide decals as mentioned on the German review page.
Thank you, BC
Old Oct 31, 2001, 09:49 AM
Most Exalted Windbag
Newark, DE USA
Joined May 2001
1,632 Posts
BC,

Don't feel bad. I already have a couple of Homer pictures for possible use as a pilot. He's my idol.

RB