SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 06, 2012, 05:15 PM
USA, NY, Laurel
Joined Aug 2010
1,098 Posts
Build Log
Midwest products the bass boat build log

I will be starting this build in a few weeks. just curious who might follow along. this is an awesome and rare kit.
catchthis is offline Find More Posts by catchthis
Last edited by catchthis; Jan 07, 2012 at 09:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2012, 07:33 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,848 Posts
Do It !

Crack that box, start a build thread and lay that keel !
They will come.
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 07:53 PM
jda
Fossil builder
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2006
436 Posts
I'm in. This is one Midwest kit that I have never seen before. Just how old is it? jda
jda is offline Find More Posts by jda
Old Jan 06, 2012, 08:42 PM
North Central TN USA
Joined May 2006
3,584 Posts
Odd looking thing. Almost looks like parts of a few other kits.
420TEE is offline Find More Posts by 420TEE
Old Jan 06, 2012, 09:16 PM
USA, NY, Laurel
Joined Aug 2010
1,098 Posts
actually these boats are extremely common in the north east. My boss has a boat that looks nearly identical to this one and you can find boats like this in just about any marina you pull into. Mainly used for striper fishing but is a very rugged seaworthy universal boat. I need to wait to start the built so I can get a decent drive system. The kit itself is awesome, but the boat is made more for static display. If anyone has some spare 2oz fiberglass cloth they would like to donate to the cause I would appreciate it. Since they didnt plan on it being rc they didnt supply a stuffing box and shaft but they cut the keel so you can put one in. What they did was just put the pot metal prop on a wooden dowel!
Old Jan 06, 2012, 09:20 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,755 Posts
My brother did one twenty years ago. Actually made a police launch out of it (inspired by Jaws 2 movie). 420TEE it was another of Midwest's kits that got allot of mileage out of a hull. It came as the 22" lobster boat, the Bass Boat, and the Cranberry Isle.

Chuck Steffen who makes fiberglass hulls is doing a Bass Boat on his 30" hull. He took my brothers plans as had them enlarged.

catchthis you were asking in another thread about a stuffing tube. The Midwest hardware was made by Graupner and put in Midwest boxes. I never heard of anybody having trouble with them. I've used them in the harbor tugs and now the guys were using them in the fish tugs. Problem is Midwest doesn't sell them anymore so they have to be cross referenced with Graupner. I like the plastic 4MM props on these boats. My tugs take a beating and carrying spares doesn't break the bank. Graupner also has the 4mm props in different diameters so you can play around dialing in without going broke.

Midwest made good kits and these boats run nice. You should enjoy it all around.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Jan 06, 2012, 09:21 PM
USA, NY, Laurel
Joined Aug 2010
1,098 Posts
jda, this is a extremely hard to find kit, you could easily convert the midwest lobster boat which uses the same hull but who wants to do that? My guess is the kit is from the 80's or early 90's. all the packages are sealed and the plans are untouched, I think I'm actually going to frame them before they get ruined. I unwound the plans and the one side is so old and brittle that it chipped! I really dont know how long ago they produced these but my guess is it was discontinued in the 90's.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 09:26 PM
USA, NY, Laurel
Joined Aug 2010
1,098 Posts
I plan on having the stuffing box custom made by mack to fit a 1/8" 1" diameter brass prop on the dumas site which is $15. The original prop which is cast pot metal is 1 1/4" diameter. I have 3 other 30" midwest hulls one midwest lobster boat arr, one lobster boat kit I built, and a cranberry isle I bought. This is the last boat to complete the lineup. I was thinking of getting the 30" hull and converting it to a bass boat but I think the 22" will be different and better looking on the shelf.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 09:33 PM
USA, NY, Laurel
Joined Aug 2010
1,098 Posts
prins. Of my midwest drive systems one of them is loud, the other two seem ok, but I would really like a stuffing tube with bushings or bearings.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 10:06 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Nov 2006
1,262 Posts
Sweet boat!!
Tollytime is offline Find More Posts by Tollytime
Old Jan 06, 2012, 10:48 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,765 Posts
The Laughing Whale had a line of kits based on similar hulls. They made the Bass Boat, a Lobster Boat, and a Down East Dragger based on the same 22" lobster boat hull. They also made The Tug and The Fireboat based on a 25" tug hull. Midwest bought the rights to The Laughing Whale kits around 1990.

I built the Laughing Whale Tug in 1981-82 and the Bass Boat in 1983-84.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Jan 06, 2012, 11:19 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by catchthis View Post
this is a extremely hard to find kit...
Might want to trace the parts for future reference...
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jan 07, 2012, 07:16 AM
USA, NY, Laurel
Joined Aug 2010
1,098 Posts
I might do that.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 09:05 AM
USA, NY, Laurel
Joined Aug 2010
1,098 Posts
right now I am thinking about painting everything but the deck, I would paint the cap instead of varnishing. what do you guys think? thats the way it is on alot of boats near me. I am thinking of modeling it after my bosses boat and practicing my silver soldering to make some posts for a hardtop.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 06:23 PM
USA, NY, Laurel
Joined Aug 2010
1,098 Posts
I scanned the manual by request through a pm. here are the pics. this is the entire manual. the 30" model has a manual thats 100x more informative and helpful compared to this one. then again this is a very simple build. well tried to up load but the files scanned as .tif files. does anyone know a way to change it to .jpeg