HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2012, 12:15 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Discussion
Interesting Twist: E-flite Twist 3D 480

This looks fun with an updated "twist"

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...0+ARF-_-120105

Would have post some pics but can't on my ipad. Hopefully I can do that on a real computer
Reef_rc is offline Find More Posts by Reef_rc
Last edited by Reef_rc; Jan 06, 2012 at 07:14 AM. Reason: ipad fat finger + add pics
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2012, 11:37 AM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
Can't help but wonder how "on-axis' it handles rolls. It reminds me a little of my Eratix but the Eratix has mid mounted wings.

fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw
Old Jan 06, 2012, 06:23 PM
London
Joined Sep 2010
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmw View Post
Can't help but wonder how "on-axis' it handles rolls. It reminds me a little of my Eratix but the Eratix has mid mounted wings.

The eratrix looks better to my eyes and the twist wingspan is a bit small for my likings...
Looking forward to se the flying video though.
Peper is offline Find More Posts by Peper
Old Jan 07, 2012, 04:46 PM
Joined May 2011
420 Posts
Interesting plane. Not a big fan of the looks, but I've thinking of a 3D plane for a while and this one may fit the bill.
PepeM is offline Find More Posts by PepeM
Old Jan 07, 2012, 06:08 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Low wing, no dihedral - wouldn't touch it with the proverbial barge pole.

Rudder application will result in adverse roll response - ie, left rudder, right roll. Not fun in knife edge, equally bad in any other manuevre requiring a rudder input.

Better marketing and finishing colour scheme than aerobatic design, one thinks...

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jan 08, 2012, 03:09 AM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
It is curious isn't it? One would assume it is a downsized Hangar 9 Twist but that plane also has a mid mounted wing. I guess we'll have to wait until somebody flies it and reports.
fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw
Old Jan 09, 2012, 06:12 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,691 Posts
Looks like they shrunk my Twist 40. I'd be happy if it flies half as good It's a low winger too. Trouble is, the Twist 3d 40 costs the same, so the price is way out of wack.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Last edited by flypaper 2; Jan 09, 2012 at 06:17 AM.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 08:24 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
It'll be an interesting comparison for sure assuming Twist 3d 40 is converted to electric. 2nd - assuming one can find one available.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 09:20 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,691 Posts
Hangar 9 still shows it, although they did cheapen it with 2 piece landing gear and coloured covering. Mine came with the hardware for both glow and electric. It's getting old and decrepit but still flies great.. Collected a few trees along the way as you can see. No reason this little one shouldn't fly as well.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 05:17 PM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Looks like I'll be putting mine today today.

Anyone gotten their bird tested yet?
Old Mar 17, 2012, 08:18 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,895 Posts
Mine is in the trunk in the box. Anxious to see how it is. Hope some others here that know good from bad try this one too. I'm too new to know what's good and what's bad.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Mar 17, 2012, 08:26 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereck View Post
Low wing, no dihedral - wouldn't touch it with the proverbial barge pole.

Rudder application will result in adverse roll response - ie, left rudder, right roll. Not fun in knife edge, equally bad in any other manuevre requiring a rudder input.

Better marketing and finishing colour scheme than aerobatic design, one thinks...

D
I keep trying to learn and to learn I ask questions. Why would you want dihedral on a aerobatic sport plane? I would think that would make things really hard,
Old Mar 17, 2012, 08:42 PM
Joined Oct 2006
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
I keep trying to learn and to learn I ask questions. Why would you want dihedral on a aerobatic sport plane? I would think that would make things really hard,
To help with roll coupling. Of course there is such a thing as too much and several other aerodynamic arrangements can augment dihedral. Even if a wing is flat, doesn't mean that a force acting like dihedral isn't present.

Regarding dihedral in this airplane, it is a scaled down version of the Twist, which was conceived as a fun-fly type airplane, not a precision aerobat. Changing the design (or even having dihedral in the first one) was beyond the scope of what it was intended to do.
Ryan Smith is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Smith
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 17, 2012, 08:50 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,691 Posts
If it flies anthing like the bigger one, it makes a great trainer for 3D. You can do wild gyrations and get into deep doo doo, but when you let go of the sticks it straightens out like it's on rails. Very hard to tipstall it. Pull it up into a gradual stall and it drops straight ahead. Like I say, if it's anything like the bigger one.

Gord.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 08:51 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,895 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. I did not know that any version of the twist had dihedral. I knew that my planes without dihedral are much better at aerobatic maneuvers than the ones that have dihedral. But the planes I have with dihedral are either high wing or warbirds and the ones without are made for aeorbatics or 3d, like my extra, super zoom or Yak, so I just had never put aerobatics and dihedral together in my head.