HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2012, 09:09 PM
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Feb 2011
844 Posts
Discussion
Hello Hawaii Flyers!

Well, it looks like I'll be coming your way. Arriving Oahu Monday-Thursday, then some days on Maui.

Gee, should I bring some planes?
Crash Prone is offline Find More Posts by Crash Prone
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2012, 11:37 PM
Dances With The Wind
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,540 Posts
Check your email Let's go flying!
Brian Courtice is offline Find More Posts by Brian Courtice
Last edited by Brian Courtice; Jan 05, 2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 12:01 AM
Joined Feb 2011
844 Posts
YEAH Buddy!!!!

I'm getting stoked now.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 12:26 PM
Joined Feb 2011
844 Posts
Sweet! Looks like we'll try to hook up with Brian on Maui to hit the spot, sounds like a great time!

What about Oahu? I'm looking at taking a full size glider ride out of Dillingham, I don't think I can pass that up. There must be some slopers on the island!
Old Jan 06, 2012, 12:36 PM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Prone View Post
Sweet! Looks like we'll try to hook up with Brian on Maui to hit the spot, sounds like a great time!

What about Oahu? I'm looking at taking a full size glider ride out of Dillingham, I don't think I can pass that up. There must be some slopers on the island!
I was there last month but didn't have a plane with me otherwise I would have tried a few spots on the windward side. There looks to be a very nice spot with DS capability near Lani Kai.

You might want to check out this old thread as well, although I didn't get any responses when I posed in it earlier.

Aloha!

-Jonathan
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Old Jan 19, 2012, 04:58 PM
Joined Feb 2011
844 Posts
So, we had a great trip. Got in a good bit of flying at the Pillboxes above Kailua on Oahu, then moved over to Maui and did some flying with Brian Courtice over there. The winds on Maui were backwards from normal, so we flew a spot that rarely sees slopers called Honolua Bay.

Here's a short vid of Brian and I flying boring passes with our wings. We were actually trying to form up for a still photo over the neighboring Island, but our camera man didn't get the message. So, the flying is boring, but the scenery ain't too bad!

Jeremy & Brian.wmv (1 min 4 sec)

I'm uploading some more video now.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 06:05 PM
Joined Feb 2011
844 Posts
Ok, here's some vid of the Volara flying at the same spot.

Volara flying at Honolua Bay on Maui, Hawaii. (1 min 11 sec)

BTW, this airplane is now officially for sale (to fund my V2), for sale thread to follow...
Old Jan 19, 2012, 07:23 PM
Joined Feb 2011
844 Posts
Here's the spot on Oahu. It's called "The Pillboxes" (for obvious reasons) and it's overlooking Kailua and The Mok's. It's a really sweet spot, even has a decent ds backside. We flew here two days, lift was better the first, but this vid is from the second. The lift was light, so I was playing in close and trying to catch my wing (which doesn't seem to slow down).

720p is worth the wait!

Soaring in Paradise! (2 min 31 sec)
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:31 PM
Dances With The Wind
Joined May 2002
6,540 Posts
Wow. That Pillboxes site is one of the most gorgeous flying sites I've ever seen. Very nice smooth flying in that light lift, Jeremy! It's hard to believe you have only been flying for less than two years! You've got some natural talent, Brah.

Thanks for hooking up with me here on Maui, and thanks again for the beer at the Plantation House. Too bad we got stuck with Kona Winds, but Honolua Bay was about as good as it ever gets there. I had a great time.

Thanks to your co-pilot Mike for letting me fly his Ritewing Demon. (For anyone who doesn't know, the Demon is basically an electric powered Zagi, if you can imagine one that goes 130 mph, and sounds like a Formula 1 racer.) That was FUN! Jeremy, Mike and me did some electric flying in Lahaina one afternoon.

I should have bought that Volara from you, Jeremy I would have, if I weren't a little cash strapped at the moment. It's a sweet plane, and someone is going to get a great deal when they buy it from you.

Looking forward to the Tri Cities gathering in May, hope to see you there!
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:46 PM
Dances With The Wind
Joined May 2002
6,540 Posts
Jeremy took this shot of me doing a little...ehhhh..slope flying...ehhh...in Lahaina.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 09:03 PM
Feeling lucky .... Punk
United States, TX, Irving
Joined Sep 2007
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Courtice View Post
Wow. That Pillboxes site is one of the most gorgeous flying sites I've ever seen. Very nice smooth flying in that light lift, Jeremy! It's hard to believe you have only been flying for less than two years! You've got some natural talent, Brah.

Thanks for hooking up with me here on Maui, and thanks again for the beer at the Plantation House. Too bad we got stuck with Kona Winds, but Honolua Bay was about as good as it ever gets there. I had a great time.

Thanks to your co-pilot Mike for letting me fly his Ritewing Demon. (For anyone who doesn't know, the Demon is basically an electric powered Zagi, if you can imagine one that goes 130 mph, and sounds like a Formula 1 racer.) That was FUN! Jeremy, Mike and me did some electric flying in Lahaina one afternoon.

I should have bought that Volara from you, Jeremy I would have, if I weren't a little cash strapped at the moment. It's a sweet plane, and someone is going to get a great deal when they buy it from you.

Looking forward to the Tri Cities gathering in May, hope to see you there!

Stuck with Kona winds eh brah ? Why I outa Spring flying in Tri Cities can't get here soon enough guys, maybe next year I'll get some Aloha time in .
joel63 is offline Find More Posts by joel63
Old Jan 19, 2012, 09:54 PM
Eldorado CA
Joined May 2010
427 Posts
I think I hate you now Jeremy You got a cool job smoking fine cigars and flying jets to paradise,oh and squeezing some slope flying on the down time. Jeeeez. If I ever hear you complain, so help me.
SethPenery is offline Find More Posts by SethPenery
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:00 PM
Joined Feb 2011
844 Posts
It ain't ALL roses, buddy! You know the saying, "no matter how hot she is, somewhere there's a dude who's tired of her s#@t!"

Don't get me wrong, cause I'm NOT complaining
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:05 PM
Just Toss It !!!
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2004
5,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Courtice View Post

I should have bought that Volara from you, Jeremy I would have, if I weren't a little cash strapped at the moment. It's a sweet plane, and someone is going to get a great deal when they buy it from you......
Nah. You'll get to use Louie's Volara (otherwise known as the ...ehem ...W**re!) like we did at Soar Utah!

Matin
will hide his!!!
MATIN is online now Find More Posts by MATIN
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:09 PM
Eldorado CA
Joined May 2010
427 Posts
I'll remember that saying. Thats a keeper.... next time your in the area again let's bomb down to frisco for some big air in the spring. I got some new toys
SethPenery is offline Find More Posts by SethPenery