Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 19, 2012, 02:37 PM
United States, RI, Woonsocket
Joined Apr 2010
366 Posts
If I didn`t have my ZYX in a heli I woud try playing around with the quad / plane function to see if it would work. I almost have the feeling that would work on the original ZYX but I also don`t own a plane at this time. I think the 3.01 upgrade was for the DSMX / DSM2 changes that were made in the new V3.0en. version. Of course this is all speculation on my part.
IFHELI is offline Find More Posts by IFHELI
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2012, 04:48 PM
New Zealand, Taranaki, New Plymouth
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFHELI View Post
If I didn`t have my ZYX in a heli I woud try playing around with the quad / plane function to see if it would work. I almost have the feeling that would work on the original ZYX but I also don`t own a plane at this time. I think the 3.01 upgrade was for the DSMX / DSM2 changes that were made in the new V3.0en. version. Of course this is all speculation on my part.
At a guess, assuming that you could adjust the gains sufficiently, you should be able to get the heli configuration to work for another platform, after all gravity doesn't change, just the amount of input the gyro needs to apply on a particular platform to get it back to any particular attitude.
John_NZ is offline Find More Posts by John_NZ
Old Apr 19, 2012, 04:54 PM
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
I am just doing the mods to the FBL software for the ZYX-S unit.

I don't know whether anyone in this forum cares about any platform other than the heli, but I think it is worth asking for opinions.

The way that I am changing the software is to put two drop down lists on the installation tab of the setup dialog.
The first asks you the type of receiver that you are attaching, the second the type of platform.
The platform choices are Helicopter, '+' quadcopter, 'X' quadcopter, Fixed wing and Delta wing.
Depending on your choice of platform, I am planning to hide any heli specific tabs and give you a tab which offers the same controls that Tarot offers when you select an alternate platform in their software.

As I understand it, things like collective range, tail limits, pitch/roll limits are not required.

Ideas?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:10 PM
Joined Apr 2011
30 Posts
no ideas, but I will use ur new software. I still havent got out to test mini katana with zyx-s yet, maybe this weekend.
VISTAVEGA is offline Find More Posts by VISTAVEGA
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:21 PM
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VISTAVEGA View Post
no ideas, but I will use ur new software. I still havent got out to test mini katana with zyx-s yet, maybe this weekend.
When you set up your plane.
Did you use the collective range setup, or the pitch/roll limits to control the throw of the servos?
Did you use the tail A/B limits to set the rudder servo limits?
Did you set the piro optimization direction?

Sorry for all the questions, but just trying to get a handle on what is required and what isn't from those that have tried it with other platforms.
Last edited by John_NZ; Apr 19, 2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:47 PM
USA, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2003
1,473 Posts
What I think is: For Quads, the limits may not be needed but for Helis and Fixed wings, maybe needed. Any time a control surface involves a servo, I would think that Limits should be available.

Thanks,
Rico.
ricoalonso is offline Find More Posts by ricoalonso
Old Apr 19, 2012, 06:01 PM
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricoalonso View Post
What I think is: For Quads, the limits may not be needed but for Helis and Fixed wings, maybe needed. Any time a control surface involves a servo, I would think that Limits should be available.

Thanks,
Rico.
Thanks Rico.

Maybe if I just offer a tab like Tarot do but also include the servo limits, labelled generically as ch1, ch2, ch3 and ch4.

I am aiming to remove any confusion with the helicopter stuff.

I also thinking that maybe I should offer a configuration item that will hide the ZYX-S stuff altogether for those not using that particular model.
Unfortunately Tarot didn't think to offer some way of detecting one model over the other so I could do it automatically.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:03 PM
USA, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2003
1,473 Posts
Well, a generic label will help avoid confusion, specially since it seems to match the labels on the ZYX unit anyway, correct?

But, I also think that the user should be forced to specify 2 most important things before they can proceed. First they need to specify what unit they have (ZYX or ZYX-S); second, they need to specify what model they are installing the unit (ie: Heli, Quad, Plane).

From there, your application will proceed to whatever branch of the setup which is specific to the unit and the model. This way, the label names used in the screens will be specific to the model and the programmable options/parameters are specific to the unit being programmed.

Just a thought / suggestion really.

Edit: BTW, just so you know... I am still waiting for my ZYX-S unit and haven't really looked at the ZYX 3.0 software much. Maybe what I was saying above is already in there?

Thanks.
Rico.
ricoalonso is offline Find More Posts by ricoalonso
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:21 PM
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricoalonso View Post
Well, a generic label will help avoid confusion, specially since it seems to match the labels on the ZYX unit anyway, correct?

But, I also think that the user should be forced to specify 2 most important things before they can proceed. First they need to specify what unit they have (ZYX or ZYX-S); second, they need to specify what model they are installing the unit (ie: Heli, Quad, Plane).

From there, your application will proceed to whatever branch of the setup which is specific to the unit and the model. This way, the label names used in the screens will be specific to the model and the programmable options/parameters are specific to the unit being programmed.

Just a thought / suggestion really.

Edit: BTW, just so you know... I am still waiting for my ZYX-S unit and haven't really looked at the ZYX 3.0 software much. Maybe what I was saying above is already in there?

Thanks.
Rico.
Thanks Rico. I appreciate your thoughts.

The alternate platform configuration in the Tarot 3.0 software looks like an after thought and doesn't really give you any idea of which parts of the software you should be using (or not).
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:14 PM
Malaysia, Perak, Taiping
Joined Jan 2012
241 Posts
Thank john for explaination i agree it for marketing strategy they want us to buy the new unit
keris is offline Find More Posts by keris
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:37 PM
Joined Apr 2011
30 Posts
Im not very good with set ups, but inorder to get the tail to work I set up as a heli in transmitter so I would have heading hold . set servo directions, set up as conventional airplane, made sure servos were going the right direction in the airplane set up, and thats all it seamed that I needed. I havent flowen yet but surte looks like its going to work
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:42 PM
Joined Apr 2011
30 Posts
Katana maiden flight

The first flight of the Katana was succesfull today. I have never flown it before so I had Don, the guy that gave it to me fly it. It flew really well he even got it to prop hang a little which he said he couldnt do before. The best part is when he landed it he pointed where he wanted it to land took his right hand off the controls and just slowly let off the throttle, perfect straight landing . He was impressed.said he has never landed a plane one handed before .It was a calm day next test with some wind
Old Apr 21, 2012, 01:52 PM
United States, RI, Woonsocket
Joined Apr 2010
366 Posts
That`s sweet...It`s must fly nice..... I know a guy that would land useing only trims on TX and on a big scale corsair........
IFHELI is offline Find More Posts by IFHELI
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:40 PM
South Africa
Joined Aug 2007
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VISTAVEGA View Post
The first flight of the Katana was succesfull today. I have never flown it before so I had Don, the guy that gave it to me fly it. It flew really well he even got it to prop hang a little which he said he couldnt do before. The best part is when he landed it he pointed where he wanted it to land took his right hand off the controls and just slowly let off the throttle, perfect straight landing . He was impressed.said he has never landed a plane one handed before .It was a calm day next test with some wind
Care to share a little more in depth the setup you used? I am planning to try the -S in a SebArt 30E Sukhoi, any special setup to use for fitting it in a plank?
Vinger is offline Find More Posts by Vinger
Old Apr 22, 2012, 03:10 AM
Heli's and gliders, what else?
Nederland, GE, Slijk-Ewijk
Joined Apr 2006
746 Posts
I recieved my Tarot XYZ a few days ago in good order and I set it up on an existing Trex 450 Pro V2.

It set up allright, no problems whatsoever (Thanks to this forum, the manual and the new Tarot program with the USB cable)

The first time I took it for a spin it wagged and it bobbed terribly, so I set both the tailgain and the aileron/elevator gains to 30.

It flies a lot better but there is still a bit of shaking, not nearly as tight as it flew with the flybar.

So I suppose I can still lower the gains? In the TX (Hitec Aurora 9) everything is 100% EPA and I have set a TX gyro gain of 65% HH and 45% normal rate which gives me the possibility to switch from red to bleu (HH to Normal).

Any suggestions how to get it flying more stable?
BarnOwl is offline Find More Posts by BarnOwl