HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 08, 2012, 10:16 PM
Brewster, Ohio
Joined Feb 2007
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smash77 View Post
Re the 90 degree yaw on lift off, are you in HH mode?
Heading Hold
Quote:
Originally Posted by smash77
What is the rotational direction of your main blades?
Clockwise
Quote:
What happens when performing a pitch pump? Does the tail swing like on lift off? Is the tail twitchy on stop from yawing?
Haven't gotten that far yet
Quote:
Also how do you lift off? Slowly or do you jump it off the ground?
Slowly

Could my tail have been setup backwards?? These pictures are from after I rebuilt the tail. It was the opposite before.... 10 degrees yaw right, 20 degrees yaw left......may be why I was having a hard time getting to stabilize on take off??

Now when the slider is against the boom (yaw left I think) I get about 10 degrees of pitch. When the slider is away from the boom (yaw right I think) I get about 20 degrees of pitch. (Somebody please correct me if I am wrong about how the pitch translates into yaw direction........)

Question: Is it normal for the tail slider to be set up so that the pitch is not equal both ways or is my tail wacky??
buzzme is offline Find More Posts by buzzme
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2012, 10:23 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,757 Posts
The tail rotor should rotate CCW when viewed from the right side of the heli.
Or put another way, the blade in the front should be moving up into the downwash from the main rotor.
As far as the pitch range, a bit more positive is OK since you have to overcome main rotor torque in that direction. But if you put the hub flush with the end of the tail shaft it should be fine.
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Apr 08, 2012, 11:44 PM
United States, CA, Berkeley
Joined Jul 2011
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzme View Post

Question: Is it normal for the tail slider to be set up so that the pitch is not equal both ways or is my tail wacky??
There is a twist here. It is normal to have unequal end limits in travel adjust. When done setting up, the pitch should be equal.on both side of the center.

Here's how I do it: Bring the tail blades together and form a line of sight that coincides the blade lines at zero pitch, then go max rudder to one side with travel limit set at 100% without binding. Make a visual mark where the tips of the V-shaped tails point to. Go max rudder the other way and compare. Change end limits in Tail Setup tab of John's Setup window (Tail Limit A &B) till the V's are identical.

You will have equal pitch and travel with different numbers as limits.
asasan is offline Find More Posts by asasan
Old Apr 09, 2012, 12:31 AM
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Apr 2011
85 Posts
@Buzzme, if your main blades rotate clockwise then it is excessive tail pitch bias causing the tail to swing 90 degrees on lift off. The gyro then catches it and stabilizes. As this was happening I don't think you had the tail setup backwards as the tail would spin madly on lift off if you had it wrong. Re the tail, the blades should cut up into the down wash of the main blades so they should rotate counter-clockwise. As for your gain setting, I can't say until your try some pitch pumps and report how the tail behaves.

Also if you have even pitch deflection in both directions then the heli will have different rates of yaw left and right as when the tail swings left it is moving with the main rotor tork, to the right it is fighting rotor tork. As there will be a degree of pitch deflection to the right in effect to counter rotor tork while flying you will only have a narrow band of pitch deflection ability in that direction if your maximum pitch deflection angle matches that of the opposite way. So you actually want a greater degree of pitch deflection to the side that counters rotor tork if you would like your tail to have even yaw rates both left and right.
smash77 is offline Find More Posts by smash77
Old Apr 09, 2012, 03:41 AM
Lithuania
Joined Mar 2009
220 Posts
I wonder is there any way to adjust gyro from android phone? Using the bluetooth or USB lead?
Would be very handy at field...
DerClown is offline Find More Posts by DerClown
Old Apr 09, 2012, 04:48 AM
New Zealand, Taranaki, New Plymouth
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerClown View Post
I wonder is there any way to adjust gyro from android phone? Using the bluetooth or USB lead?
Would be very handy at field...
No android app that I know of at the moment, but from what I hear could be a work in progress.
John_NZ is offline Find More Posts by John_NZ
Old Apr 09, 2012, 05:38 AM
Need to understand!!
United Kingdom, Witham
Joined Mar 2012
9 Posts
Really an android app under consruction cool!!!
Tobiemanser is offline Find More Posts by Tobiemanser
Old Apr 09, 2012, 09:17 AM
Joined Apr 2011
85 Posts
Wonder how long it will take Tarot to release a ZYX bluetooth adapter once there is a working android app in circulation. I'm surprised they haven't released a BT adapter and smartphone software for it already especially since they have released a new version of the ZYX capable of broadening their market on the back of the original ZYX's success.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 09:37 AM
Joined Jan 2012
162 Posts
Hi have a question about the cyclic servo setup part.

There is something odd, at least to me, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

when I get to this part, I 1st adjust the servo trims so the servo harms are at 90.

but then when I try to use the arrows on the Swash section to fine tune the swash, it prettry much resets the servo trims to how they were before I trimed them to be 90...

so have been using the servo trims only to fine tune the swash...

what am I doing wrong?
electrojolt is offline Find More Posts by electrojolt
Old Apr 09, 2012, 12:24 PM
Joined Jan 2012
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrojolt View Post
Hi have a question about the cyclic servo setup part.

There is something odd, at least to me, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

when I get to this part, I 1st adjust the servo trims so the servo harms are at 90.

but then when I try to use the arrows on the Swash section to fine tune the swash, it prettry much resets the servo trims to how they were before I trimed them to be 90...

so have been using the servo trims only to fine tune the swash...

what am I doing wrong?
Never mind... I Gave John Z's software a try and it works perfect.
electrojolt is offline Find More Posts by electrojolt
Old Apr 09, 2012, 07:54 PM
Dave
Joined Jun 2009
10 Posts
I tried to search the forum - maybe I missed it, if so, can someone refer me to the correct page?

As I spin up the heli, when the head gets to about the right RPM (2900), the tail will whips around 360-degree uncontrollability.
As soon as it starts to rotate, and because I am expecting it now, I hit the T-Hold, and the rotation stops.

If I try to lift off, the heli will still whip around and I can't keep it under control.

I have the USB interface, and the CX3X_2.5 software and I think I have everything setup correctly - I selected the "Beginner" setup.

When I flew this with the FB, everything was setup fine. Of course, this was using the Align GP750 gyro on the tail

I checked the TR blade directions vs. stick - and it looks right
I checked the gyro correction direction - and it looks right too.
The gain is set low - around 24% HH (red LED on the controller). If I toggle the AUX lever on the DX7, the controller LED changes from red to blue

Any suggestion?
ticedoff8 is offline Find More Posts by ticedoff8
Old Apr 09, 2012, 08:52 PM
Joined Apr 2011
85 Posts
It has to be your gyro correction direction. If your main blades spin clockwise then turn your heli counterclockwise in HH mode, your tail blades should twist so that the leading edge moves toward the heli while the trailing edge moves away if it is correcting in the right direction.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 09:11 PM
New Zealand, Taranaki, New Plymouth
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticedoff8 View Post
I tried to search the forum - maybe I missed it, if so, can someone refer me to the correct page?

As I spin up the heli, when the head gets to about the right RPM (2900), the tail will whips around 360-degree uncontrollability.
As soon as it starts to rotate, and because I am expecting it now, I hit the T-Hold, and the rotation stops.

If I try to lift off, the heli will still whip around and I can't keep it under control.

I have the USB interface, and the CX3X_2.5 software and I think I have everything setup correctly - I selected the "Beginner" setup.

When I flew this with the FB, everything was setup fine. Of course, this was using the Align GP750 gyro on the tail

I checked the TR blade directions vs. stick - and it looks right
I checked the gyro correction direction - and it looks right too.
The gain is set low - around 24% HH (red LED on the controller). If I toggle the AUX lever on the DX7, the controller LED changes from red to blue

Any suggestion?

Another person had the same problem. Turned out to be the tail rotor blades were on back to front. May be worth checking.
John_NZ is offline Find More Posts by John_NZ
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:43 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,757 Posts
Or perhaps spinning backwards(belt twisted the wrong way)?
Everything would look fine direction-wise, would be backwards when it was actually spun up.
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:12 PM
AMA Member # 458448
United States, MA, ALLSTON
Joined May 2011
1,223 Posts
ZYX Software v1.21

John,

What is the different between v1.21 and v1.20 ? I could not find any difference.

Thanks,

Ching-Ho Cheng
lcc014 is offline Find More Posts by lcc014