Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:06 PM
New Zealand, Taranaki, New Plymouth
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
I have changed the FBL software to close the COM port on exit (better late than never ) and have added a new menu function to copy one condition to another.

Any other requests on the wish list out there before I publish the next release?
John_NZ is offline Find More Posts by John_NZ
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:31 PM
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Originally Posted by unochen
The ZYX-S and ZYX 3.0’s new function:
1:The ZYX-S add DSM2 and DSMJ satellite receiver support function.
2:The ZYX-S add Futaba S-Bus receiver support function.
3:The ZYX-S add failsafe function when using DSM2 and DSMJ satellite receiver,
user can set the failsafe values for throttle and collective pitch.
4:The ZYX-S add four aircraft configrations: ‘+’ quadrotor, ‘X’ quadrotor,
conventional airplane(enhance hover and 3D flight), delta airplane.
5:The ZYX-S can use the USB adapter to connect to PC, the new PC software is
ZYX 3.0. It can be setup by the ZYX multifunctional gyro programmer.
6:The ZYX 3.0 add parameter explanation function, put the mouse on the parameter,
the explanation will be shown.

Gee, it looks like I am going to be chasing a moving target.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:27 PM
Joined Apr 2011
221 Posts
I thought that when I saw that article as well, I would just like to thank you for all the effort you have put in. Your software is very swish in comparison with the Tarot option.
It will be interesting to see whether existing units can cope with the upgrade or whether you need the new zyx-s controller.
Busher is offline Find More Posts by Busher
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:43 PM
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busher View Post
I thought that when I saw that article as well, I would just like to thank you for all the effort you have put in. Your software is very swish in comparison with the Tarot option.
It will be interesting to see whether existing units can cope with the upgrade or whether you need the new zyx-s controller.
Thank you.

I have had a look on the site where they publish the software and the information.
They say there that they will be offering the new Tarot unit to anyone in Mainland China that has obtained the previous version for the same price of 299 Yuan

"In line with the official release of the new products of the ZYX is-S 3-axis gyroscope activities, Wenzhou over the HM Co., Ltd. plans to carry out the old customer promotions in mainland China within 10 days from March 26 until April 6. All of the old customers have ZYX gyroscope, no matter by what means to buy, can participate in activities, activities in the price of 299 yuan."

Which seems to indicate that it's not a matter of a simple firmware upgrade to convert existing units to the new model, there must be a hardware change.

They must be watching the FBL software as their version 3.0 software adds parameter explanations on the advanced page as I had added.
I could only find a Chinese version of the Tarot 3.0 software on their site, I guess the English version will follow sometime in the future.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 03:18 PM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_NZ View Post
I have changed the FBL software to close the COM port on exit (better late than never ) and have added a new menu function to copy one condition to another.

Any other requests on the wish list out there before I publish the next release?
Good man! We're sooo spoiled to have our own developper answer every whim and fancy.

VBar users must be green with envy
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
Old Mar 27, 2012, 03:24 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,599 Posts
Quote:
They must be watching the FBL software as their version 3.0 software adds parameter explanations on the advanced page as I had added.
Plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery!

Quote:
I could only find a Chinese version of the Tarot 3.0 software on their site, I guess the English version will follow sometime in the future.
Do we take it you are fluent in Chinese then?
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:29 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,786 Posts
Quote:

Thanks, John. Sounds good.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Mar 27, 2012, 06:13 PM
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
Plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery!

Do we take it you are fluent in Chinese then?
Nope, I am fluent in google translate.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:12 AM
Malaysia, Perak, Taiping
Joined Jan 2012
241 Posts
Which seems to indicate that it's not a matter of a simple firmware upgrade to convert existing units to the new model, there must be a hardware change

oh..oh what happen here it look like the old model cannot use satellite and s-bus system
keris is offline Find More Posts by keris
Old Mar 28, 2012, 03:19 AM
United States, CA, Berkeley
Joined Jul 2011
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamdavey View Post
Asasan - your comments indicate some familiarity with control theory.

Do not forget, however, that the servos have a dead band and differing small and large signal response characteristics. These are constant at the servo arm in angular terms and therefore have varying effect as you change the mechanical gain (servo angle to blade angle). This effect shows up in terms of a "sweet spot" with respect to the overall system loop response. If you have way too much mechanical gain and compensate by turning down the electrical gain, the servo dead band and small signal response will become more and more critical - fast, tight digital servos are always better than poor analogs.

As a general comment on the way the units are "hard coded" if you increase the overall gain and reduce the PID gains to compensate it can be seen the feed forward term (immediate response of the swash to stick movement) will reflect the increase in response to the increase in overall gain.

The process is the equivalent of changing the bell/hiller mixing ratio and should have similar effects on handling. I have not yet had time to play with this in the air. I will say that this ability is explicit with the Skookum and is a very valuable feature. I suspect that the design point in the Tarot is optimized for 450 size 3D but could be better for larger models set up for scale/precision flying.
I have Skookum on a Protos. It is fantastic, well in front of the pack and will remain that way at least until mid July when MSH Brain is released at around $190.

These ZYX units were a huge bargain at 1/7 of SK-720’s $400 price tag. They are adding features and closing the gap - in terms of price too. Pretty soon, the absolute best 6-axis gyro with self-stabilization, insensitive to vibration, will cost only twice as much or a mere 100 bucks more. It will pay for itself and then some, saving crashes, in no time.

I will stick with exactly what I have... the current updated version of Tarot ZYX on the bang-around Blade 450 using John's latest release. No upgrades, no updates. Thank you.
asasan is offline Find More Posts by asasan
Last edited by asasan; Mar 28, 2012 at 03:27 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 03:29 AM
Joined Apr 2011
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keris View Post
Which seems to indicate that it's not a matter of a simple firmware upgrade to convert existing units to the new model, there must be a hardware change

oh..oh what happen here it look like the old model cannot use satellite and s-bus system
That may not be a bad thing, in this configuration I would be leaning towards a s bus configuration for anything bigger than a 450, The satellite would be a great solution for 250 to 450 but I would want more sat receivers on a larger heli, whether this is required I don't know but most manufacturers tell you to have at least 2 sats on a larger heli, By which time you would be better off with a full size receiver. This I guess is an interim measure and I bet they will redesign the case and allow 2 sats to be plugged directly into the unit.

John,

Does this spell the end of your excellent work or will there still be improvement to be made on the old units, Can you extend your software to use the new gyro? I agree they are watching, and in reality they are way behind your thinking as you definitely showed up their software for what it is.
Busher is offline Find More Posts by Busher
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:21 AM
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busher View Post

John,

Does this spell the end of your excellent work or will there still be improvement to be made on the old units, Can you extend your software to use the new gyro? I agree they are watching, and in reality they are way behind your thinking as you definitely showed up their software for what it is.
I will most likely continue on and integrate the new gyro functionality. Will have to get my hands on one to see what can be done.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:15 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,599 Posts
Quote:
I will most likely continue on and integrate the new gyro functionality. Will have to get my hands on one to see what can be done.
You really ought to get another heli to mount it on, too.....
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:40 PM
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
You really ought to get another heli to mount it on, too.....
I have ordered the ZYX-S and was sorely tempted to get another heli.
I have no idea why these things become some sort of addiction
Old Mar 28, 2012, 04:32 PM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,522 Posts
Quote:
I have ordered the ZYX-S and was sorely tempted to get another heli.
I have no idea why these things become some sort of addiction
How about a 3D foamy plank? certainly cheaper than a heli and will give you the opportunity to test the new features of the ZYX-S
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M