HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 21, 2012, 03:34 AM
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Apr 2011
85 Posts
Yeah 2.5

Well, upgraded the firmware with 2.5 on com 43. I used FBL 1.16 to configure.
smash77 is offline Find More Posts by smash77
Last edited by smash77; Mar 21, 2012 at 03:38 AM. Reason: clarification
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2012, 08:30 AM
Australia, QLD, Yeppoon
Joined Jul 2011
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC View Post
So I've now "successfully" updated the formware using John's software, the patched Tarot (for the Copterx) and the latest Tarot software - by tricking it as you suggested John. And nothing will wake the little b'stard up !!!!

It's not really dead since I can get it to going into the "upgrade firmware" state - but not initialisation, and no led's - I'm stumped

My guess is that my only chance is when Copterx realease their upgraded firmly
Oops!!!....me too....lol...I tried to order another HK $43 ZYX and they were out of stock so thought....might as well try BF's CopterX -Tarot conversion as its $30 and would be cheaper for my other birds if it works....Doh!!!!
So, followed same steps as MikeHRC with identical results....flashing red light only when power up with button depressed. I'm wondering if they have made a change to the Copter X unit to prevent exactly what we were trying after BFs earlier version unit???? Oh well, it was worth a try and I was aware of the possibility of failure . Anyhow did MikeHRC eventually unbrick his or any ideas to try?
Mackshot is offline Find More Posts by Mackshot
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:25 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,779 Posts
Mackshot, I'm interested to know if you followed the same steps as in this post?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=621

Has anyone else done the crossflash successfully?
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:47 PM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,028 Posts
BF,

I have re-flashed my X31000 about 30-odd times now and it just will not work again. The software programme (I've tried John's, The Copterx s/w and the patched Tarot s/w) reports it as been successful, the red led goes out, but when I switch the power off and on again it is dead, no leds, nothing - I can always get it into "firmware download" mode but nothing else - it's driving me potty

cheers,
Mike
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:57 PM
New Zealand, Taranaki, New Plymouth
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
BF,

I have re-flashed my X31000 about 30-odd times now and it just will not work again. The software programme (I've tried John's, The Copterx s/w and the patched Tarot s/w) reports it as been successful, the red led goes out, but when I switch the power off and on again it is dead, no leds, nothing - I can always get it into "firmware download" mode but nothing else - it's driving me potty

cheers,
Mike
It is hooked to a RX and TX? Sorry if it's an obvious question.
John_NZ is offline Find More Posts by John_NZ
Old Mar 21, 2012, 07:44 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_NZ View Post
It is hooked to a RX and TX? Sorry if it's an obvious question.
I think you get 3 solid leds if that's the case, but a good thought.

Quote:
BF,

cheers,
Mike
Yeah, sorry to hear this, Mike. Was your gyro the one with the silver edge around the top?

I wanted to see if Mackshot used my patched Tarot version to do the initial flash, and followed every step after that.

I thought my gyro was dead after the flash, as it took a while to bring up the leds, but then it was fine.

I left out the part about me being stupid and trying to upgrade the unit without restarting it in boot mode, but I can't see, at this stage, how that could have made my crossflash successful. Time will tell as I still have one more unit, purchased at the same time.

Edit: Just a thought, Mike. Have you tried a different power source during the flash. I used a 5.5v BEC that I know has a very stable voltage.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 07:56 PM
Malaysia, Perak, Taiping
Joined Jan 2012
241 Posts
Hi guys i don't it is ok to ask here or not about gain can someone tell me if big numbers mean high gain or small numbers mean high gain i'm trying to understand about gain for you guys info i did hover my bird after upgrade firmware with fbl software and it work nicely just got to tune it a bit.

thank guys
keris is offline Find More Posts by keris
Old Mar 21, 2012, 08:13 PM
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
Edit: Just a thought, Mike. Have you tried a different power source during the flash. I used a 5.5v BEC that I know has a very stable voltage.
That's a good point too BF. The datasheet doesn't say much about it other than warning that if Vcc does become low, it will cause corruption or even will interpret its instructions incorrectly (at the time of low Vcc). Typically they need to raise the internal voltage significantly to erase a flash block, which would give a short, sudden current draw that the regulator may not be quick enough to respond to.

BF, when you flashed your CX over to a ZYX, did you have servo's attached?

For Mike, if it did have servo's attached, it may be worth a try without them plugged into the CX unit or an alternate power supply as BF suggests.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 08:17 PM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Jun 2011
54 Posts
John_nz

The whackiest things are happening with my tarot software. Its like softwares are taking turns. I turn on the windows today in my mac, and find that your software is not connecting at all..

Now its not like my stock tarot software yesterday , in which i didnt even see the blue flashing light in my USB. your software caught the port right, and was trying to connect, but felt like it coudnt negotiate with the gyro. The blue light kept blinking at intervals, like its trying to connect.

I thought what the heck.. i'll give the tarot software 2.5 a shot. HELL... It freaking connected! and communicated fine...

well I was confused as heck. I closed that software, and tried to connect through your software, but nope no response...

Well, I had to update the software, realized that the chinese folder names are a problem, and windows is not able to grant the tarot software a handle, got that corrected, and updated both my gyros. Anywaz... just wanted to update you man!

Thanks for the link last night.!!!
rahulgaba is offline Find More Posts by rahulgaba
Old Mar 21, 2012, 08:21 PM
Joined Apr 2011
30 Posts
Borrowed esc for my 450 today took it out ,figured I would just try and hover it .
tail wouldnt stay in place in standard so tryed heading hold . worked good .Ill adjust tail next flight . got it up in the air and it was pretty solid. Had to fly a couple of circuits. .flew pretty good for first flight. controls were a little to touchy for me [3d soft] either need expo or change to lower level.,by the way wind was gusty and about 12 mph
sent donation to john last night thks for all ur guys help again.
VISTAVEGA is offline Find More Posts by VISTAVEGA
Old Mar 21, 2012, 08:32 PM
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulgaba View Post
John_nz

The whackiest things are happening with my tarot software. Its like softwares are taking turns. I turn on the windows today in my mac, and find that your software is not connecting at all..

Now its not like my stock tarot software yesterday , in which i didnt even see the blue flashing light in my USB. your software caught the port right, and was trying to connect, but felt like it coudnt negotiate with the gyro. The blue light kept blinking at intervals, like its trying to connect.

I thought what the heck.. i'll give the tarot software 2.5 a shot. HELL... It freaking connected! and communicated fine...

well I was confused as heck. I closed that software, and tried to connect through your software, but nope no response...

Well, I had to update the software, realized that the chinese folder names are a problem, and windows is not able to grant the tarot software a handle, got that corrected, and updated both my gyros. Anywaz... just wanted to update you man!

Thanks for the link last night.!!!
Thanks for the update. I have seen the same behaviour with the Tarot software too. I was monitoring the conversation between the Tarot software and the gyro, I could see the gyro responding to the Tarot software commands, but the Tarot software was not acknowledging the gyro. Then tried connecting with the FBL software and it worked. So just like you say, they would seem to alternate on which one wanted to connect. The explanation, don't know at the moment!
Old Mar 21, 2012, 08:44 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keris View Post
Hi guys i don't it is ok to ask here or not about gain can someone tell me if big numbers mean high gain or small numbers mean high gain i'm trying to understand about gain for you guys info i did hover my bird after upgrade firmware with fbl software and it work nicely just got to tune it a bit.

thank guys
Higher numbers = higher gain. Make sure to try all the five preset models, and look at their parameters, and that should give you an idea of how the feel of the heli changes with the parameter changes.
2Doggs is online now Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Mar 21, 2012, 08:53 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_NZ View Post
...BF, when you flashed your CX over to a ZYX, did you have servo's attached?
I had 3 mini HK Mi servos attached, but the SBEC I used was a 5.5v 4 amp one.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:18 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VISTAVEGA View Post
Borrowed esc for my 450 today took it out ,figured I would just try and hover it .
tail wouldnt stay in place in standard so tryed heading hold . worked good .Ill adjust tail next flight . got it up in the air and it was pretty solid. Had to fly a couple of circuits. .flew pretty good for first flight. controls were a little to touchy for me [3d soft] either need expo or change to lower level.,by the way wind was gusty and about 12 mph
sent donation to john last night thks for all ur guys help again.
Like many people, I'm using 40% expo on cyclic - it really tames models #4 and #5, and I have 20% on the tail. I set D/R to 80% in my normal flight mode.
2Doggs is online now Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:42 PM
Australia, QLD, Yeppoon
Joined Jul 2011
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
Mackshot, I'm interested to know if you followed the same steps as in this post?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=621

Has anyone else done the crossflash successfully?
Hi Beenflying, I was very careful to follow those instructions to the letter. I even practised dry runs doing the power on without battery to make sure i was synching the button push with power switch properly. I had analogue servos attached except no gyro or rudder servo, and used a reciever and fresh charged nicad pack for power sup.ply
John, my version has the light blue panel with the text then a darker blue edging then the bevelled silver on the edges. I didnt try it with a BEC only the nicad packs fully charged. The one thing thing that didnt happen is the auto reboot that beenflying mentioned after his reflash.....after i recieved the flash upgrade succesful message I closed the software ready to load Johns FBL software. I wonder if the unit was still configuring itself after the firmware sucesfull message and I interupted it by closing the program and doing a power on off restart. It was about 30 sec when i turned it off and on again. Been flying about how long did your auto reboot take?

Edit. Sorry....I may have misunderstood Beenflying. Did yours do an auto reboot of the unit after flash or was it just after the restart that it took a while to eventually initialise?
Mackshot is offline Find More Posts by Mackshot
Last edited by Mackshot; Mar 21, 2012 at 10:17 PM.