SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 08, 2012, 05:08 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
In contrast to the Tarot software, in the CX version, there is no menu bar with the com port - or at least none appears when I try to run the software. I have no problems connecting John_NZ's modded Tarot software - previously, it was connecting thru com 17, now, having re-installed the USB driver that comes with the CX software, it connects on com 10.

Compare the correct display of text in John_NZ's software, and the improperly displayed text in the CX
Are you getting confused between my patched Tarot version for the CX-3X1000 and the CopterX application v1.2? See the attached main screen.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2012, 05:11 PM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC View Post
I can't believe that they've left the picture of the Tarot XYZ on it
If there ever was any doubt these controllers are the identical clones, this should put that to rest.
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
Old Mar 08, 2012, 05:34 PM
Joined Apr 2009
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
I don't think a firmware update is required for this to work. I haven't tested it, but I think the functionality was already there.
I also think bank switching is included in the original firmware. To me, that explains why a few people have seen the config change unexpectedly. I also think we may find DSM2 satellite support is also already in the firmware, and possibly just needs to be enabled with the PC software. Or by just plugging in the satellite adapter.

Anyone have a BeastX satellite adapter and willing to see if it works?
danau is offline Find More Posts by danau
Old Mar 08, 2012, 07:01 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,653 Posts
Quote:
Are you getting confused between my patched Tarot version for the CX-3X1000 and the CopterX application v1.2? See the attached main screen.
I've not tried your patched Tarot for the CX - but I will now!

(and update on whether it works for me or not)

Update: Doh, yes, I clearly am confusing your patched version with the official one! It does explain the Tarot ZYX image! So I'll try the CX official one now! Thanks for posting the images with the descriptions!

Update: still can't connect with the official CX software. Though I'm using the Tarot USB adaptor, I should be able to get it to work. I tired installing the CX usb driver in place of the Tarot one, but though it changed the com port it still didn't get the CX software working. I might do a full uninstal and re-install.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by 2Doggs; Mar 08, 2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 11:25 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,189 Posts
My tarot usb came with a bad cord. I only found out when I tried to use it with my HH controller
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2012, 06:25 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,858 Posts
Flashing a CX-3X1000 to a Tarot ZYX

Flashed one of my CX-3X1000 with the Tarot firmware today. Oh well, it was only $30....

Just kidding, now it's a Tarot ZYX, which is what I wanted. One program box for all my low cost FBL gyros (well not the 3GYS, as this has different hardware to the others), and I don't have to hold the back button to get the advanced tuning menus, yippeee.

Note: the CX-PB001 program box does not work with the CX-3X1000 after doing this. You will need to have the Tarot box, the Tarot application, the patched CopterX app or use John's app.

Note: This crossflash does not work on some units. If it doesn't work, flash again using the CX-3X1000 v1.0 firmware in the first post, which will restore it. See restoring below.

Procedures:
Using the patched Tarot v2.5 app for the CX-3X1000 from the first post:
1/ Open the app
2/ Power on the Tx, Rx and gyro and wait for it to initialize
3/ Click connect and wait for 3 greens (can take a while)
4/ Click the Open firmware button and select the Tarot .bin firmware file (ZYX-250.bin)
5/ De-power the gyro (leave the app running)
6/ Hold the gyro button and repower the gyro (the red led should be blinking)
7/ Click Upgrade (you should see the progress bar in the status line)
8/ Wait for the upgrade complete (Note: Some have had success by waiting 3 minutes at this point, before disconnecting the gyro)
9/ Close the application, as it will no longer work with the gyro
10/ Run John's app and connect (Tarot ZYX will be displayed in the status line)

Using John's v1.22 app:
1/ Open the app
3/ Select the correct coms port
4/ Click connect and wait for 3 greens
5/ Click the Open button in the firmware upgrade group and select the Tarot .bin firmware file (ZYX-250.bin)
6/ Click the Upgrade button
7/ De-power the gyro (leave the app running)
8/ Hold the gyro button and repower the gyro (you should see the progress bar in the status line)
9/ Wait for the upgrade complete (Note: Some have had success by waiting 3 minutes at this point, before disconnecting the gyro)
10/ Exit the complete dialog
11/ Cycle the power on the gyro and wait for it to initialize
12/ Click connect and wait for 3 greens (Tarot ZYX will be displayed in the status line)

Restoring to CX-3X1000 if the crossflash failed:
1/ Open John's v1.22 app
2/ Select the correct coms port
3/ Click the Open button in the firmware upgrade group and select the CX-3X1000 v1.0 firmware file (CX-3X1000v1-0.bin) available in the first post
4/ Click the Upgrade button
6/ Hold the gyro button and repower the gyro (you should see the progress bar in the status line)
7/ Wait for the upgrade complete
8/ Exit the complete dialog
9/ Cycle the power on the gyro and wait for it to initialize
10/ Click connect and wait for 3 greens (CX-3X1000 will be displayed in the status line)

Enjoy...
Last edited by beenflying; Dec 16, 2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 06:31 PM
New Zealand, Taranaki, New Plymouth
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Flashed one of my CX-3X1000 with the Tarot firmware today. Oh well, it was only $30....

Just kidding, now it's a Tarot ZYX, which is what I wanted. One program box for all my low cost FBL gyros (well not the 3GYS, as this has different hardware to the others), and I don't have to hold the back button to get the advanced tuning menus, yippeee.

Note: the CX-PB001 program box does not work with the CX-3X1000 after doing this. You will need to have the Tarot box, the Tarot application, the patched CopterX app or use John's app.

Proceedure:
Using the patched Tarot v2.5 app for the CX-3X1000 in the first post:
1/ Open the app
3/ Click connect and wait for 3 greens (can take a while)
4/ Click the Open firmware button and select the Tarot .bin firmware file (ZYX.bin)
6/ Hold the gyro button and repower the gyro (the red led should be blinking)
7/ Click Upgrade (you should see the progress bar in the status line)
8/ Wait for the upgrade complete
9/ Close the application, as it will no longer work with the gyro
10/ Run John's app and connect (Tarot ZYX will be displayed in the status line)

Enjoy...
Fantastic! Been waiting for the first willing person to give it a go. Will be better when CopterX release theirs, then you can change it at will.
I have the Firmware upgrade function working on the simulator in the new version of FBL, just need to check it on an actual gyro. It takes the Tarot software about 60 seconds to apply the firmware upgrade against the simulator, but FBL does it in 38 seconds. I suspect that they may have a timing delay in the Tarot software, probably to allow the gyro microprocessor time to write each block to flash.

Thanks for the update.
John_NZ is offline Find More Posts by John_NZ
Old Mar 09, 2012, 06:38 PM
Texas NewB
United States, MD, Princess Anne
Joined Dec 2011
885 Posts
so does that make it a ZYX-3X-1000 now
Did it have all your settings still and how about the new option for multiple settings?
Black_heart is offline Find More Posts by Black_heart
Old Mar 09, 2012, 06:58 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_NZ View Post
Fantastic! Been waiting for the first willing person to give it a go. Will be better when CopterX release theirs, then you can change it at will.
I have the Firmware upgrade function working on the simulator in the new version of FBL, just need to check it on an actual gyro. It takes the Tarot software about 60 seconds to apply the firmware upgrade against the simulator, but FBL does it in 38 seconds. I suspect that they may have a timing delay in the Tarot software, probably to allow the gyro microprocessor time to write each block to flash.

Thanks for the update.
Yeah, I've been waiting for the CopterX firmware just in case it left the gyro dead but still able to be flashed, but I ran out of patience. Also the new Align 3GX v2 firmware didn't fix the backward drift problem and still doesn't fly very well, so I've decided to put one of the CX-3X1000 units in the Align 450 Sport and shelve the 3GX.

Strange about the time difference. From your explanation they obviously don't use any coms handshaking, during the flash, so it would have to be a software delay. Is this boot loader supplied by the chip manufacturer. There should be an app note for it somewhere if it is, which might explain the need for a delay, where and how long.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 07:05 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,653 Posts
Great work, BF! I wonder if it works the other way, when CX come out with the firmware - i.e. being able to get a ZYX to work with a CX program box?
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Mar 09, 2012, 07:06 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_heart View Post
so does that make it a ZYX-3X-1000 now
Did it have all your settings still and how about the new option for multiple settings?
I like the name.

No settings were lost. I'm pretty sure the option for multiple settings was already in the gyro, it was just missing from the PC application.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 07:10 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,858 Posts
Quote:
Great work, BF! I wonder if it works the other way, when CX come out with the firmware - i.e. being able to get a ZYX to work with a CX program box?
I'm pretty sure it will. This flash proves that the manufacturers customer number is hard coded into the firmware, so whatever firmware you flash will switch it to that customers program box.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 07:25 PM
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, I've been waiting for the CopterX firmware just in case it left the gyro dead but still able to be flashed, but I ran out of patience. Also the new Align 3GX v2 firmware didn't fix the backward drift problem and still doesn't fly very well, so I've decided to put one of the CX-3X1000 units in the Align 450 Sport and shelve the 3GX.

Strange about the time difference. From your explanation they obviously don't use any coms handshaking, during the flash, so it would have to be a software delay. Is this boot loader supplied by the chip manufacturer. There should be an app note for it somewhere if it is, which might explain the need for a delay, where and how long.
There is handshaking going on, but I too would have have thought that the gyro should've delayed the handshake reply until after it was ready to accept the next block of data.
The simulator replies the instant that the block is received so that is how I know any delay must be in the Tarot software. I doubt the delay could be be an incidental processing delay due to some lousy algorithm as it is far too long.
Unless of course they have some algorithm that is only sending the next block on a timer event which would explain it.
I think I should probably just try sending it to the gyro as fast as the handshaking allows and see if it works or not.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 09:18 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,653 Posts
Masonic, dude!

All this talk of handshaking is making me nervous - no rolled-up trouser legs and aprons required, right?

Seriously, this is such a strange situation, where despite products being differentiated by manufacturers/resellers, just a few committed (and who's to say they shouldn't be? ) enthusiasts can blow away the proprietary containers, to expose the true heart of the beast!

Yeah, I say, yeah!!
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Mar 09, 2012, 09:21 PM
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
All this talk of handshaking is making me nervous - no rolled-up trouser legs and aprons required, right?
Is that why you weren't at the last meeting 2Doggs? Have you lost your apron again?