HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:55 PM
AMA Member # 458448
United States, MA, ALLSTON
Joined May 2011
1,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asasan View Post
That would be great. Meanwhile I tried to upgrade and the compressed file from Tarot has just txt instruction file and a 30kb zyx.bin. Firmware upgrade looks for .hex file. Somewhere in the middle of bad English instructions I saw something about using the software debugger to get the firmware upgrade file.

Any ideas?

Many thanks.
You need the latest Tarot software version 2.5 to perform the upgrade. This latest version looks for .bin file not hex file. I did the upgrade last night without any problem. Thanks for John's help.

Ching-Ho Cheng
lcc014 is offline Find More Posts by lcc014
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2012, 03:54 PM
New Zealand, Taranaki, New Plymouth
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sas View Post
one question ..if I update copterX firmware with the new tarot update can I use my copterX program box or I will need Tarot box future?
I would expect if the CopterX unit accepts the firmware and runs, then you will have changed it over to a Tarot unit and your copterX program box will not talk to it any more.
We don't know whether the bin file for the Tarot firmware is encrypted or not. The ideal solution would be to be able to patch the tarot firmware image so that if you put it in the copterX unit, then it would still talk to the copterX programming box.
I have both programming boxes, so it wouldn't bother me too much, but it could get confusing.

I think we are still waiting for someone willing to upgrade their copterX unit with the tarot firmware as at the moment, it has the potential to brick it.
I am guessing that copterX will release a firmware upgrade for their unit in the near future.
John_NZ is offline Find More Posts by John_NZ
Old Feb 23, 2012, 04:22 PM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,233 Posts
Just got back from flying at our weekly indoor meet after putting 2 packs through and my earlier enthusiasm has wained slightly. Hovering in a tight space she was a bit 'mushy'!! Tried Beginner, F3C and Soft 3D, dropped the swash dead band down to 10 (the only thing that seemed to make a difference and played with the swash total gain on ale. and elev. still wasn't 'locked in' like a Fly Bared model would be. Seems like I have some tinkering to do :-)
PaulB is offline Find More Posts by PaulB
Old Feb 23, 2012, 04:25 PM
Joined Jan 2011
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_NZ View Post
I would expect if the CopterX unit accepts the firmware and runs, then you will have changed it over to a Tarot unit and your copterX program box will not talk to it any more.
We don't know whether the bin file for the Tarot firmware is encrypted or not. The ideal solution would be to be able to patch the tarot firmware image so that if you put it in the copterX unit, then it would still talk to the copterX programming box.
I have both programming boxes, so it wouldn't bother me too much, but it could get confusing.

I think we are still waiting for someone willing to upgrade their copterX unit with the tarot firmware as at the moment, it has the potential to brick it.
I am guessing that copterX will release a firmware upgrade for their unit in the near future.
absolutely .. I think so ..10x man!
m_sas is offline Find More Posts by m_sas
Old Feb 23, 2012, 04:49 PM
Athens GR
Joined May 2003
364 Posts
what is new/different in the new firmware? are the differences noticeable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_NZ View Post

tdriver is offline Find More Posts by tdriver
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:01 PM
New Zealand, Taranaki, New Plymouth
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdriver View Post
what is new/different in the new firmware? are the differences noticeable?
They say that they have fixed an initialisation issue, which I suspect has had it changing into a different mode (F3C or 3D) at start up.
The have also corrected some issue with the setup on the mechanical mixer.

I don't think that this will change any flying performance unless they have made other adjustments that they have not told us about.
John_NZ is offline Find More Posts by John_NZ
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:11 PM
Joined Apr 2009
22 Posts
I emailed KY-Model a couple of days ago and they confirmed that a copterx update will be available very soon

Would be great to have a patched firmware that woks on any unit and any program box, or even to make a copterx unit think its a tarot unit and vis versa
danau is offline Find More Posts by danau
Last edited by danau; Feb 23, 2012 at 05:12 PM. Reason: typo
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:12 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
5,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danau View Post
I emailed KY-Model a couple of days ago and they confirmed that a copterx update will be availeble very soon

Would be great to have a patched firmware that woks on any unit and any program box, or even to make a copterx unit think its a tarot unit and vis versa
Well I for one am waiting on patched Tarot software from John_NZ. I really don't care for the look of the CX software, and have yet to even get it to work with my 3x1000.
2Doggs is online now Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Feb 23, 2012, 06:23 PM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
Just got back from flying at our weekly indoor meet after putting 2 packs through and my earlier enthusiasm has wained slightly. Hovering in a tight space she was a bit 'mushy'!! Tried Beginner, F3C and Soft 3D, dropped the swash dead band down to 10 (the only thing that seemed to make a difference and played with the swash total gain on ale. and elev. still wasn't 'locked in' like a Fly Bared model would be. Seems like I have some tinkering to do :-)
It's all about the P gain on the swash (total gain too). The more you have, the crisper the cyclic response. Increasing pitch and roll agility can't hurt either.

That being said, I've been struggling myself with mushy collective response on both the 450 and Protos and I don't know how to improve that except for retraining my fingers...

Swash Gain: 32
PID: 80 80 20
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
Last edited by Dr.M; Feb 23, 2012 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Added PID settings
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:09 PM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,348 Posts
Have you tried putting some D-gain on cyclic? in theory it should add immediate input to the swash.
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:03 PM
Joined Apr 2009
22 Posts
Bluetooth

Thanks beenflying, got my bluetooth adapter today. Works great!
danau is offline Find More Posts by danau
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:49 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,837 Posts
still waiting for mine and now that I am finally trying to set up.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:59 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danau View Post
Thanks beenflying, got my bluetooth adapter today. Works great!
No prob. I'm glad you like it.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:03 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.M View Post
It's all about the P gain on the swash (total gain too). The more you have, the crisper the cyclic response. Increasing pitch and roll agility can't hurt either.

That being said, I've been struggling myself with mushy collective response on both the 450 and Protos and I don't know how to improve that except for retraining my fingers...

Swash Gain: 32
PID: 80 80 20
There's no doubt that FBL flies different to FB. Even in the early videos from Bert Kammerer flying FBL, he said it's a different sort of flying that you get used to.

Look at these videos pitchp posted the other day:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1284

It's certainly not slowing him down.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:16 AM
Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Joined Apr 2000
1,851 Posts
The issue is mostly to do with the fact that there is very little immediate input at the swash as a result of stick movement. Rather the system waits for the rate error to move the swash. (In engineering terms it lacks feed forward). I would have expected "acceleration" would do this but it does not.

Other than that the thing works so well.......
teamdavey is online now Find More Posts by teamdavey