HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2012, 03:45 AM
New Zealand, Taranaki, New Plymouth
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC View Post
Could these be Pirouette Speed L and Pirouette Speed R - or are these already in there ?

The thing that I find most confusing with the Tarot software is how to save the settings once they have been changed - simplfying this would be very helpful.

Thanks for your work on this - really appreciated.

Cheers,
Mike
There are tail accelerations L&R but I haven't seen any speeds. Are there speed settings when you use the tarot programming box?

As for saving, mine is the same as the Tarot software, if you have it plugged into the gyro and connected, it saves everything you change automatically.

If you aren't connected, then you need to write out an ini file, connect the gyro, read the ini file back in, then use transmit file menu item.
This is because when you connect a gyro, it reads the data from the gyro and overwrites the present configuration.
John_NZ is offline Find More Posts by John_NZ
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2012, 03:50 AM
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jockstrap View Post
Noticed a few little bugs: These may be nothing you can fix but just fyi incase..

1) Ale and elev travel don't actually store (in a saved profile at least) if entered manually as a number in the box - work fine if changed via the slider thou... this may be a problem on other setup pages too if it is on this one.. havn't tested further thou..

2) some sort of driver issue - if i reload the usb driver - plug in the usb.. it senses the new hardware - usb works fine... if i remove and reinsert the dongle - doesn't work.. I have to reinstall the usb driver each time i use it looks like - but hey, that takes just 30sec, so no big deal.
That has reminded me, I haven't added that functionality on those boxes either. The problem is typically its not practical to detect the change until you either press enter in the box or change focus to another control.
The tarot software also has a similar issue in the advanced settings, if you edit a value on the page and then press enter on the form, the setting change is not detected. You have to move to a new box first.

With my software, the USB unit must be installed before you start the software as it only detects the ports that are present once at start up.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 04:10 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,969 Posts
Thanks for all of your work, John.

I notice you left the "uploads" folder out of your links above. They should be:
http://107.20.180.35/uploads/fblv103setup.exe
http://107.20.180.35/uploads/docs.zip
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Jan 10, 2012, 04:42 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,969 Posts
John, the app is looking really good. Well done!

A few of things I've noticed before connecting it to the gyro:
1/ The advance options are not set by the Preset Parameter buttons.
2/ The Main Rotor and Tail Rotor sliders are not set when I load an existing ZYX config file.
3/ In Setup the monitor aileron slider defaults to 120, not 0 (no gyro connected).
4/ On my laptop the app, when launched, is not displayed center on the screen. It looks like its would be center on a larger screen.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 05:35 AM
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
John, the app is looking really good. Well done!

A few of things I've noticed before connecting it to the gyro:
1/ The advance options are not set by the Preset Parameter buttons.
2/ The Main Rotor and Tail Rotor sliders are not set when I load an existing ZYX config file.
3/ In Setup the monitor aileron slider defaults to 120, not 0 (no gyro connected).
4/ On my laptop the app, when launched, is not displayed center on the screen. It looks like its would be center on a larger screen.
Thanks. I will check these out tomorrow. Would you be able to post your ZYX config file. Mine is setting the main rotor and tail rotor sliders, I would like to chekc out why your one isn't.
Last edited by John_NZ; Jan 10, 2012 at 05:44 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:56 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_NZ View Post
Thanks. I will check these out tomorrow. Would you be able to post your ZYX config file. Mine is setting the main rotor and tail rotor sliders, I would like to chekc out why your one isn't.
Here you go. If the sliders are already up, they drop to the bottom, when this file is loaded. And FYI, the roll agility slider is not sitting at 15 when the app starts.

Edit: the test file is the one your app saved after loading the ZYX config file. Also I'm not connected to the gyro when I load this file.
Last edited by beenflying; Jan 11, 2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 05:40 AM
Joined May 2011
105 Posts
@John_NZ - thanks heaps for this work and effort... wish i had your skills to do the same stuff..

Sorry I can't check any of the tarot stuff for you as i currently only have the copterx gyro..

Seeing me heli was setup ok via the copterx controller box, then i modified it using your first version of software - does this mean i should double check settings with the controller box due to the software possibly saving some of them incorrectly in the wrong places (ie: tail stup) ?

Also - just out of curiosity.. do you have source code for the tarot software or are you using some sort of tool to interrogate the exe file ? What software do you use to do your work in? (unless it hush hush, that's ok)
jockstrap is offline Find More Posts by jockstrap
Old Jan 11, 2012, 05:51 AM
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Next version of the software. Thanks beenflying for the feedback and your table of the defines for various presets (3GYS_defaults_2.png).
I have fixed up the various items mentioned by beenflying and added a bit more robustness around the comms. Also fixed the edit boxes so that they update the sliders when you press enter or change focus to another control.

http://107.20.180.35/uploads/fblv104setup.exe
Old Jan 11, 2012, 06:04 AM
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
@John_NZ - thanks heaps for this work and effort... wish i had your skills to do the same stuff..

Sorry I can't check any of the tarot stuff for you as i currently only have the copterx gyro..

Seeing me heli was setup ok via the copterx controller box, then i modified it using your first version of software - does this mean i should double check settings with the controller box due to the software possibly saving some of them incorrectly in the wrong places (ie: tail stup) ?

Also - just out of curiosity.. do you have source code for the tarot software or are you using some sort of tool to interrogate the exe file ? What software do you use to do your work in? (unless it hush hush, that's ok)
Hey jockstrap. This software is a work in progress, so yep, just double check that the parameters are correct as per the controller box. Let me know if anything doesn't match.

I don't have the source code for the tarot software. I started the process using the copter X controller and gyro. I built a couple of TTL to RS232 convertors to 'listen' in on both sides of the conversation between the controller and the gyro. I used a scope to find the baud rate that it was talking, then I could see the binary data flowing between them using my PC. From there it was a matter of figuring out the data protocol and checksum algorithm.

After that I built another interface to use the tarot software to talk to my tarot ZYX gyro. It was simply more convenient than pressing buttons on the controller and I worked my way through the memory locations to figure out what got stored where.

From there, I wrote the software from scratch in C++ using Embarcadero C++Rad Studio XE2, using the tarot as the guide (i.e. template) for the design layout and interface.

Its been a bit of a grind to get it all done but this sort of stuff interests me, so its been fun too.

I mainly wanted a general purpose tool that will talk to any of the gyros. The controller boxes are great out in the field, but it is nice to have the software to get a better overview of the setup.

Cheers,
John
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:10 PM
Joined May 2011
105 Posts
@John_NZ - wow, that's fantastic - my hat off to you.. the fact you have re-written it from scratch now makes me appreciate even more the effort you've put into this for us...

Without you, copterx users would have no software.. thank you kindly from all of us..

Crap - monitoring memory locations and watching for changes to work out what's stored where take a lot of time and effort alone...

I designed a Digital turbo booster for my car back in 1998 using an old philips microcontroller using machine code - took me a year's work of effort researching, designing, prototyping and coding and 6hrs a night, each night nearly... and i would have no chance of doing what you've done - especially in the short time..
So yea - definitely great stuff you've done here..
jockstrap is offline Find More Posts by jockstrap
Last edited by jockstrap; Jan 11, 2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 04:10 PM
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
@John_NZ - wow, that's fantastic - my hat off to you.. the fact you have re-written it from scratch now makes me appreciate even more the effort you've put into this for us...

Without you, copterx users would have no software.. thank you kindly from all of us..

Crap - monitoring memory locations and watching for changes to work out what's stored where take a lot of time and effort alone...

I designed a Digital turbo booster for my car back in 1998 using an old philips microcontroller using machine code - took me a year's work of effort researching, designing, prototyping and coding and 6hrs a night, each night nearly... and i would have no chance of doing what you've done - especially in the short time..
So yea - definitely great stuff you've done here..

Machine code, that takes me back That's certainly writing on the bare metal.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 04:31 PM
Citizen #302
USA, OR, Canby
Joined Oct 2007
345 Posts
Just throwing out some wishful thinking.

I have the ZYX unit and usb adapter/software and have set up my heli with a laptop.
I will probably buy a program box for field adjustments, but i was thinking how convenient it would be to have an app for my Ipod and adapter to make the adjusments and not have to carry another device.

I realize that the language would be totally different and appreciate the work and knowledge involved in developing this software for a pc.

I don't have the background or skills to try something like this but if anyone else does I (and maybe others?) would definitely use it.

Bill
Kam Arrow is offline Find More Posts by Kam Arrow
Old Jan 11, 2012, 06:58 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_NZ View Post
Next version of the software. Thanks beenflying for the feedback and your table of the defines for various presets (3GYS_defaults_2.png).
I have fixed up the various items mentioned by beenflying and added a bit more robustness around the comms. Also fixed the edit boxes so that they update the sliders when you press enter or change focus to another control.

http://107.20.180.35/uploads/fblv104setup.exe
Thanks again for all of your work on this. The new version is looking good now. All values loaded from the config file are the same as the tarot app. I'll do some tests when connected to the gyro soon.

I did some checking as to what the ZYX apps "All Data Reset" does. It just seems to set it to model 2 (F3C), which is a bit odd. I'd make it so it returned it to the last model selected, either by a preset button or a config file loaded. All changes from that point would be lost if the "All Data Reset" button is pressed.

And FYI, the Tarot PC software changed the D gain defaults to these:

Code:
           Roll D      Pitch D       Yaw D
Beginner:    0             0          25
FC3:         0             0          25
3D Soft:    30            30          30
Hard Core:  30            30          30
Extreme:    30            30          30
Which differs from the 3GYS program box and the table I created.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 07:50 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,997 Posts
Cx

The values in your table seem to match the values in the CX, using the program box.
2Doggs is online now Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Jan 11, 2012, 08:28 PM
SoCal
Joined Oct 2011
573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kam Arrow View Post
Just throwing out some wishful thinking.

I have the ZYX unit and usb adapter/software and have set up my heli with a laptop.
I will probably buy a program box for field adjustments, but i was thinking how convenient it would be to have an app for my Ipod and adapter to make the adjusments and not have to carry another device.

I realize that the language would be totally different and appreciate the work and knowledge involved in developing this software for a pc.

I don't have the background or skills to try something like this but if anyone else does I (and maybe others?) would definitely use it.

Bill
Actually the language "C" is pretty much the same, the IO would be the tricky part.
Zr_Flyer is online now Find More Posts by Zr_Flyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Micro Brushless H Part III