HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2012, 01:05 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBC View Post
Because the advice said remember the list of ports, since the down arrow shows only a com port, thought maybe I was looking in the wrong place. Thanks for nothing, will not bother you again.
I won't bother trying to advise you again either. The reason you're seeing only one port is because you probably haven't installed the USB adaptor driver - but since you appear to have the attention span of a goldfish, there's not much that can be done.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2012, 01:33 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Nov 2010
170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
I won't bother trying to advise you again either. The reason you're seeing only one port is because you probably haven't installed the USB adaptor driver - but since you appear to have the attention span of a goldfish, there's not much that can be done.
Wrong again, any more insults you care to throw?
JamesBC is online now Find More Posts by JamesBC
Old Feb 18, 2012, 01:39 PM
Texas NewB
United States, MD, Princess Anne
Joined Dec 2011
939 Posts
Quote:
are u seeing a red lite on the dongle(USB adapter)?
did you try starting the program with out the dongle plugged in?
what adapter are you using?
check to make wure there is no solder crossing the terminals at the plugs in the adapter.
Black_heart is online now Find More Posts by Black_heart
Old Feb 18, 2012, 01:47 PM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,136 Posts
James,

If you are only seeing Com3 it doesn't sound as if you have the USB drivers running - the order needs to be

* install driver
* insert USB dongle
* run FBL software

I have to restart after installing the drivers

I'm surprised that it is not showing any USB ports at all - I have a couple showing without anything attached
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Feb 18, 2012, 02:05 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,845 Posts
Quote:
Sure.

This Canuck was riding along on his ski-doo, when it started to splutter and leak oil, so he took it to the dealership.

The dealer said "It looks like you've blown a seal" and the Canuck said, "no, it's just some ice on my moustache!"....
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2012, 03:27 PM
New Zealand, Taranaki, New Plymouth
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
I used John's software to setup the ZYX in the Gaui X2 today. Setup was so easy. I was using the Bluetooth link, which I really like, especially when doing the piro optimize.

I had a couple of strange happenings. At one stage all of the advanced settings changed from my usual settings. It was like I'd clicked the Hard Core button, but I hadn't. Definitely wasn't the All Data Reset, because I've customed this to my settings.

The second thing was the Collective Range changed from 55 to 70. No other settings seemed to be affected.

Makes using the PC software a little scary. I had to keep reconnecting the gyro and then checking every setting before I flew the heli again.
BF, make sure that you use version 1.15 at this stage with the bluetooth. Version 1.15 checks for the acknowledgement reply from the gyro after every command that the PC sends to it. So, if the queue count reads 0 at the end of your session, you know that the gyro has heard everything sent to it correctly.
The PC software also checks the checksum sent from the gyro before it uses the data received. The PC ignores data from the gyro with an invalid checksum.
I will add some more logging capability to the software so you can log the entire conversation between the PC and the gyro. This would be helpful in telling what is actually going on.
John_NZ is offline Find More Posts by John_NZ
Old Feb 18, 2012, 03:36 PM
New Zealand, Taranaki, New Plymouth
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Ok not sure where in the FBL software I am to look for the port list, could not find any listed. But (always a but! ) under device manager it shows the Universal Serial Bus Controllers with about 25 items.Thank you Bill Gates.

Can find no Yellow mark, so not sure where to go from here.
In the device manager, you can ignore the USB controllers section and look in the section called "Ports (COM & LPT)"
With the device manager open and with the USB adapter plugged in, check which COM ports are in the Ports section.
If you keep the Ports section in the device manager open, then when you unplug the adapter, the Ports section should close and you will have to reopen it to see what has changed. The adapter port should disappear (and you will know which port the adapter is assigning).
If nothing changes, then the PC is not detecting the adapter.

Hope this makes sense.

On the FBL software, the drop down box where you are seeing COM3 is the correct place to look for the COM ports as I described in my previous post.
John_NZ is offline Find More Posts by John_NZ
Old Feb 18, 2012, 03:39 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,650 Posts
I got to finally get one of these out to test and at start up it becomes a vibrating animal so bad that the battery even strapped down starts to come out until it starts to leave the ground. Is this the gain set to high?
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2012, 04:33 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_NZ View Post
In the device manager, you can ignore the USB controllers section and look in the section called "Ports (COM & LPT)"
With the device manager open and with the USB adapter plugged in, check which COM ports are in the Ports section.
If you keep the Ports section in the device manager open, then when you unplug the adapter, the Ports section should close and you will have to reopen it to see what has changed. The adapter port should disappear (and you will know which port the adapter is assigning).
If nothing changes, then the PC is not detecting the adapter.

Hope this makes sense.

On the FBL software, the drop down box where you are seeing COM3 is the correct place to look for the COM ports as I described in my previous post.
Great way to know the driver is correctly installed John!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2012, 05:08 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
I got to finally get one of these out to test and at start up it becomes a vibrating animal so bad that the battery even strapped down starts to come out until it starts to leave the ground. Is this the gain set to high?
Either that or you forgot to put one of the blades on.

Try dropping the gain to 25 and then increase from there. Be careful because it can suddenly happen in the air as well, if the gain is too high, as I found out yesterday.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Feb 18, 2012, 05:15 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_NZ View Post
BF, make sure that you use version 1.15 at this stage with the bluetooth. Version 1.15 checks for the acknowledgement reply from the gyro after every command that the PC sends to it. So, if the queue count reads 0 at the end of your session, you know that the gyro has heard everything sent to it correctly.
The PC software also checks the checksum sent from the gyro before it uses the data received. The PC ignores data from the gyro with an invalid checksum.
I will add some more logging capability to the software so you can log the entire conversation between the PC and the gyro. This would be helpful in telling what is actually going on.
I'm using v1.15 beta. Always waited for the queue to be zero after clicking force update.

What I find really weird is that the values returned to a default value and were not just corrupted to some strange value. For example yaw PID went from 70 50 15 to 80 50 30. Tail deadband went from 40 to 60. Collective range went from 55 to 70.

Each time I was running the FBL app and connecting to the gyro. Also I was saving to an INI file after each change, but never opening an INI.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Feb 18, 2012, 08:29 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,650 Posts
Thanks! it would smooth out when It left the ground contact (call me crazy, I will throw anything in the air), but I knew this couldn't be right. I will try again tomorrow outside with the HH programmer. My blue tooth is still in shipping.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2012, 08:35 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,650 Posts
One more question, how will I know if the gain is too low? Maybe a silly question, but not if you have never known how a fbl should feel. The only one I have ever flown is the little Genuis CP and I don't think I have that set right lol! Just last year I started flying with any expo and it took the 250 for that to happen
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2012, 09:29 PM
United States, CA, Lower Lake
Joined Sep 2011
87 Posts
I see that someone has posted about the driver right above me, but I'm hopeing that I can be pointed in the right direction first. I have a CX3000 unit, worked great on my 450, I know how to set it up with the sticks and tune with the sticks.

I just got the tarot dongle. I'm trying to use it with this software. http://fbl.net.nz/ Which appears to just be a variation of the tarot software I downloaded from AC-RC. I used the driver from AC-RC download and now see "com port 4" below the "connect" I get a blue flashing led on my dongle. But I don't get a connection.

I have 64bit windows 7 on my laptop. I have XP, but it's on parralells which is on my Imac, not very handy to tune with a desktop, but I can if I have to. I'm not super savy with computers, but I can navigate ok.

Please accept my appologies for probably beating a dead horse, but it's really hard to find info on the ZXY, or the CX. Google and the search function don't pick the info out that I'm looking for, or I'm using the wrong search terms.

Please point me in the right direction. Thank you.
phranticness is offline Find More Posts by phranticness
Old Feb 18, 2012, 10:15 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,845 Posts
Driver

I think the problem is that John's software does not contain the USB - serial adaptor driver - but you can find that with the CX software in the link on the first page of this thread. When you extract the files from the Zip archive, go to the "driver" sub folder, and the driver is ZYZUSBdriver.exe, which you should run on your pc, and then reboot before running the FBL software.

In the latest version of the driver, from the later CX software linked to in post #316 on page 22 of this thread, the driver is now called USBdriver.exe, but it's the same macrovision version 14.0.0.162 file. I find the CX software interface a bit buggy, and generally inferior to the Tarot as modified by John_NZ. In the CX software, you can't save a name and preset number with the .ini file, as you can with John's version.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by 2Doggs; Feb 18, 2012 at 10:39 PM. Reason: USBdriver.exe