HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 14, 2012, 08:56 PM
as much as I can
beenflying's Avatar
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_NZ View Post
Might be time to start on the Android version soon. Nice looking bluetooth adaptor BF, good find.
Cool!
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:35 AM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2009
22 Posts
Very lucky today!

Hi Everyone,

I Had a little mishap today, and sharing as a reminder to everyone else. Check your controls and do a Pre-flight check before flying.

I was changing settings with JohnNZ's fbl software and noticed the numbers on the main screen had changed. "Hmm.. thats odd" I thought and also noticed the pitch had reversed (pitch range number was the same but it had gone from -50 to +50). Oh well no dramas, I'll just change everything back. Made a couple of other adjustments and went for another test fly.

Spooled up in Idle2 from throttle hold, and the heli didn't want to lift off. I dropped the collective back down cause I knew something was up... BAM!! In the blink of an eye the little T-rex250 shot up into the air about 20 feet Hit throttle hold straight away and tried to feather the collective (reverse direction) on the way down. It didn't hit hard and landed on the lawn perfectly level and upright. Only damage is a broken front strutt/landing gear. Didn't even bend the skid pipes.

I had fogotten to correct the reversed pitch!!!!

Not sure what messed up the settings. I may have loaded a saved config file, but I don't think so? Now John's software won't connect to the gyro... I'll try reinstalling.

CopterX software works ok though. (The CopterX software seems to have a bug that saves config files without the *.ini extension.)

Anyway, always check your flight controls before flight!


Dan.
danau is offline Find More Posts by danau
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 02:30 AM
Registered User
New Zealand, Taranaki, New Plymouth
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danau View Post
Hi Everyone,

I Had a little mishap today, and sharing as a reminder to everyone else. Check your controls and do a Pre-flight check before flying.

I was changing settings with JohnNZ's fbl software and noticed the numbers on the main screen had changed. "Hmm.. thats odd" I thought and also noticed the pitch had reversed (pitch range number was the same but it had gone from -50 to +50). Oh well no dramas, I'll just change everything back. Made a couple of other adjustments and went for another test fly.

Spooled up in Idle2 from throttle hold, and the heli didn't want to lift off. I dropped the collective back down cause I knew something was up... BAM!! In the blink of an eye the little T-rex250 shot up into the air about 20 feet Hit throttle hold straight away and tried to feather the collective (reverse direction) on the way down. It didn't hit hard and landed on the lawn perfectly level and upright. Only damage is a broken front strutt/landing gear. Didn't even bend the skid pipes.

I had fogotten to correct the reversed pitch!!!!

Not sure what messed up the settings. I may have loaded a saved config file, but I don't think so? Now John's software won't connect to the gyro... I'll try reinstalling.

CopterX software works ok though. (The CopterX software seems to have a bug that saves config files without the *.ini extension.)

Anyway, always check your flight controls before flight!


Dan.
Glad to hear it mostly survived! I have seen this on my Tarot ZYX a couple of times, where the pitch has gone from -70 to +70.
At the time I had been connecting the gyro so many times to the software for testing, I wasn't sure if I had missed setting it, or if the software had somehow reversed the sign or what.
So yes, definitely make sure that the pitch direction is on your checklist, it certainly is on mine.
Let me know if anyone else experiences the pitch direction flipping on them. I have no idea if it a bug in the software or a bug in the gyro firmware or me forgetting to set it in the right direction.
John_NZ is offline Find More Posts by John_NZ
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 05:06 AM
Registered User
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
FBL Bluetooth Interface

The Bluetooth unit can be obtained here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/290636551744
The 3GYS data lead here: http://www.rc711.com/shop/alzrc-3gys...le-p-5684.html

Attachment 4633002
[Click pictures to enlarge]

The lead to the program box and USB link is:
GND - Red
VCC - Black
TXD - Red
RXD - White

The lead to the bluetooth unit is:
VCC
GND
TXD
RXD

This means that two wires in the program box lead have to be swapped. Carefully slide off the heat shrink and remove the read and black lead closest to one end. Be careful lifting the little plastic arms to remove the leads. Reinsert the leads the other way around:

VCC - Black
GND - Red
TXD - Red
RXD - White

Attachment 4633008 Attachment 4633009

Connect the lead to the Bluetooth unit with the visible gold pins facing up.

Attachment 4633010

Power up a heli with the FBL unit and plug in the bluetooth lead to the gyro. The red LED will flash. Search for bluetooth devices on the PC/laptop. "linvor" will be detected. Add the device and enter a pin code of "1234". If it then asks to add a coms port to the device, check this and proceed (note the com port allocated). The red light on the bluetooth unit will go solid.

Turn on your Tx and wait for the gyro to initialize. Run John's app, select the com port noted above and click connect. You should get 3 greens lights, after a short delay.

As mentioned the unit weights 3.6g and with the 3GYS program box lead 6g. Of course you don't have to mount the bluetooth unit on the heli, you can just use it instead of the USB link, as a wireless connection. Just plug it into the gyro you want to change/program.
Missed this earlier...Excellent work...
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 09:36 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2012
162 Posts
Hello everyone,

So I got my Tarot USB adapter and the copterx 3x1000 but can't get them to comunicate with the software.. I opened a USB adapter and noticed that Resistor R12 is missing. can someone check if it is supposed to be there? and if yours has a resistor, could you share the value.. may need to measure it with a Multimeter.

Thank you
electrojolt is offline Find More Posts by electrojolt
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:46 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2012
162 Posts
never mind, I figured it out... it is a 10k ohm resistor. After soldering the resistor, it works now..

I never expected to have missing parts...
electrojolt is offline Find More Posts by electrojolt
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:48 AM
just gotta mess with it!
2Doggs's Avatar
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrojolt View Post
never mind, I figured it out... it is a 10k ohm resistor. After soldering the resistor, it works now..

I never expected to have missing parts...
You ought to contact the seller - they should at least know about it, even if you can't prise any compensation out of them!
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:09 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,041 Posts
I tried to post - I don't have anything on R12 on either of my Tarot dongles, but glad you have it sorted anyway
MikeHRC is online now Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:16 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2012
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC View Post
I tried to post - I don't have anything on R12 on either of my Tarot dongles, but glad you have it sorted anyway
Really, and it works for you? hummm odd

here are some pictures
electrojolt is offline Find More Posts by electrojolt
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:25 AM
just gotta mess with it!
2Doggs's Avatar
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrojolt View Post
Really, and it works for you? hummm odd

here are some pictures
Having seen your pics, I popped mine open, and sure enough, nothing on R12, and it works just fine.

What have you done.....
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:33 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2012
162 Posts
I will try removing the resitor and try again... now I'm curious...
electrojolt is offline Find More Posts by electrojolt
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 03:14 PM
Registered User
mrmj2u's Avatar
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Mar 2011
250 Posts
Tarot USB Link cable

http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet...is-Gyro/Detail

$9.99 shipped from the USA.
mrmj2u is offline Find More Posts by mrmj2u
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2012, 04:03 PM
Texas NewB
Black_heart's Avatar
United States, MD, Princess Anne
Joined Dec 2011
869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrojolt View Post
I will try removing the resitor and try again... now I'm curious...
I dont have one on R12 here ether.
Black_heart is offline Find More Posts by Black_heart
Last edited by Black_heart; Feb 16, 2012 at 04:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2012, 04:16 PM
Registered User
New Zealand, Taranaki, New Plymouth
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Looking at the PL2303 datasheet and what I can see in the photos (I don't have the adapter), that R12 appears to be a link from the VCC pin on t he TTL connector (can't see where that track is disappearing to under the TTL connector, but presume it wont be the GND, RX or TX) to the VDD pin (pin 8) on the PL2303. The PL2303 has power connections on both sides and must be normally powered from the USB side.
It looks like there is an option for it to be powered from the TTL side, but the chip is 3.3V not 5V so I would not recommend having R12 in place if this is the case.
If you remove R12 and it stops working, maybe there is an issue with the regulator on the USB side on your device. Fitting a 10K resistor would at least limit the current to 0.5mA, which may be your saving grace.
John_NZ is offline Find More Posts by John_NZ
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2012, 06:36 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2012
162 Posts
You are correct. Removed the resistor and didnt work. But then tried it using a diferent computer and it works fine without the resistor. Strange.. Well as long as it works, I'm happy. Now just have to see if I can get this bird to fly. I find the alzrc 3gys manual is much better to follow than the copterx, just incase someone needs help setting it up.
electrojolt is offline Find More Posts by electrojolt
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold Darthdrk Drone CX Body for coax helis like the Blade CX etc. Twmaster Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Oct 08, 2011 07:31 PM
Multiplex mc V2 servo programming PC software Thomas B Radios 3 Jul 23, 2006 09:49 AM