HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2012, 03:59 PM
New Zealand, Taranaki, New Plymouth
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
It sounds like you may have found the problem, fingers crossed. Having a short like that would certainly explain the behaviour you have observed to date.
I wouldn't worry too much about what the monitor says, it is for my debugging purposes and that list you have posted is only applicable in certain situations, otherwise it is a load of garbage.

Since it sounds like you have sorted out the communications issue, it would be best to turn the monitor function back off by removing the '/monitor' switch.
John_NZ is offline Find More Posts by John_NZ
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2012, 07:32 PM
Joined Jan 2007
37 Posts
Problem Solved For Now !

Well after doing further testing everything seems to be working fine !!

The dongle works every time I plug it in now. I went through a mock setup and all functions are working fine !

I can load and transmit files no problem.

I would like to thank everybody for their input and help with the connection problem I was having. I may have ended up buying a new dongle and gyro for no reason!!

John, Great job with the software and keep up the good work and thanks again !! Much easier than manually programming.

I have no Idea why those 2 pins got soldered together because it looked like it was soldered like that on purpose, meaning the solder joint looked good. I did notice this a couple of days ago but thought it was supposed to be like that. I wish I had taken a pic.

In any case it is working fine for now and maybe someone else can chime up and post if there serial side center 2 pins are soldered together on the back side of the circuit board on there dongle just to make sure my lucky fix is correct by unsoldering them and that others out there that may be having the same problem will know what the fix is.

Thanks again all !
kel1 is offline Find More Posts by kel1
Last edited by kel1; Feb 06, 2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2012, 09:57 PM
United States, OK, Claremore
Joined Nov 2007
44 Posts
I sure don't see the center two pins soldered together on mine. You fixed it. Good job.
v823515 is offline Find More Posts by v823515
Old Feb 07, 2012, 06:54 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,884 Posts
Hi John. I was just thinking about the software and had a thought for a feature that may be useful, especially as these gyros get more popular.

Currently if you load an INI file all of the setup options get changed as well. A new load options only feature, or an overwrite setup prompt, would allow us to share INI files to try someone else's settings, without having to do the setup all over again.

Just a thought to kick around...
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Feb 07, 2012, 07:16 PM
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
Hi John. I was just thinking about the software and had a thought for a feature that may be useful, especially as these gyros get more popular.

Currently if you load an INI file all of the setup options get changed as well. A new load options only feature, or an overwrite setup prompt, would allow us to share INI files to try someone else's settings, without having to do the setup all over again.

Just a thought to kick around...
That's a good idea. So we are talking about just excluding the settings that are on the setup page and including those on the main page and those on the advanced parameters.

I also suspect that another point of confusion with the program as it stands, is that if you load an ini file, then connect to the gyro, it will overwrite the data in memory without warning. So if you load an ini, then connect to the gyro and then say do a force update or transmit file, it won't be doing what you think it is doing.

And of course vice versa, if you are already connected to the gyro, then load an ini, then change any setting, it will write the complete ini data to the gyro (including the parameter you changed) without you having selected transmit file (or force update). That may also be unexpected.
Old Feb 07, 2012, 08:15 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_NZ View Post
That's a good idea. So we are talking about just excluding the settings that are on the setup page and including those on the main page and those on the advanced parameters.
Yes, that's what I was thinking. Of course there is still things like cyclic and collective range, but these are still dependent on the mechanical setup.

Quote:
I also suspect that another point of confusion with the program as it stands, is that if you load an ini file, then connect to the gyro, it will overwrite the data in memory without warning. So if you load an ini, then connect to the gyro and then say do a force update or transmit file, it won't be doing what you think it is doing.

And of course vice versa, if you are already connected to the gyro, then load an ini, then change any setting, it will write the complete ini data to the gyro (including the parameter you changed) without you having selected transmit file (or force update). That may also be unexpected.
Yes, you have to be careful when using the INI files, especially that you do things in the right order.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Feb 07, 2012, 08:51 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,253 Posts
Is it too difficult to just write down other peoples settings?? lol! Their servos will still be off because of different brands and horn placement so that may just confuse things.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2012, 09:32 PM
United States, OK, Claremore
Joined Nov 2007
44 Posts
I was wondering about a "Connect" and a "Disconnect". A "Get Settings" (pull settings from the gyro into the program) and a "Send Settings" (send program settings to gyro). Still in the setup stage myself so still trying to figure the correct sequences but think this might simplify things.
v823515 is offline Find More Posts by v823515
Old Feb 07, 2012, 10:18 PM
Joined May 2011
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_NZ View Post
Yep, I can add that in. At the time I left it out in order to concentrate on getting everything else implemented. So I can now fill in some of the missing details.

One thing I wonder about though. If you trim up your swash plate and have some offsets already, I found if you start pressing the buttons on the right, it immediately clears all your existing offsets and starts from zero.
My expectation was that it should start with the offsets you already have and apply relative changes to them.

What do you think?
Sorry for the Late Reply John - i've been away and just returned.

I see you solved this question with a reset button..

Just wanted to say thanks for the prompt replies and great work..
jockstrap is offline Find More Posts by jockstrap
Old Feb 07, 2012, 10:32 PM
Joined Jan 2007
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v823515 View Post
I sure don't see the center two pins soldered together on mine. You fixed it. Good job.
Hey v823515

Thanks for verifying that your center pins weren't soldered together.

Mine is still working fine so that must have been the problem.

Thanks again all.

Kel
kel1 is offline Find More Posts by kel1
Old Feb 08, 2012, 12:26 AM
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
Is it too difficult to just write down other peoples settings?? lol! Their servos will still be off because of different brands and horn placement so that may just confuse things.
There are about 28 settings that we are talking about, too much writing and scope to muck them up in the process. Much easier to have the program let you share them.
It shouldn't be confusing as the aim is to leave the other parameters like servo reverse, compensation directions, etc out of the mix.
Old Feb 08, 2012, 07:47 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,253 Posts
Sounds just lazy. sooo when will that be up and running lol!! and don't forget to post yours. Thanks again for all your work!
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2012, 07:52 PM
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
Sounds just lazy. sooo when will that be up and running lol!! and don't forget to post yours. Thanks again for all your work!
Isn't life the pursuit of laziness?

Have slowed down the development cycle, mainly because my day job keeps getting in the way, so no release planned in the short term at the moment.

I don't have any parameters of my own to post, mainly due to lack of flying experience and that the fleet is grounded at the moment awaiting spares
Old Feb 08, 2012, 08:31 PM
United States, MD
Joined Jan 2010
190 Posts
FBL Software

Hey John.

Thank you again for the great FBL software. Every time I use it it just makes the entire ZYX/3X1000 experience so much better! I've had a BeastX since version 1.011 and they have been talking for 2 years about doing what you and a few friends have done in a little over a month! I need to upgrade that firmware and am dreading the setup. I can setup 3 of these in the same amount of time.

Nice going.

Terry
exblade is offline Find More Posts by exblade
Old Feb 08, 2012, 08:34 PM
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by exblade View Post
Hey John.

Thank you again for the great FBL software. Every time I use it it just makes the entire ZYX/3X1000 experience so much better! I've had a BeastX since version 1.011 and they have been talking for 2 years about doing what you and a few friends have done in a little over a month! I need to upgrade that firmware and am dreading the setup. I can setup 3 of these in the same amount of time.

Nice going.

Terry
Thanks Terry. Glad I could help.