HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2012, 02:15 AM
New Zealand, Taranaki, New Plymouth
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel1 View Post
I thought so too so I took apart the Link and checked and the solder joints seem ok. I have the link plugged into the computer now and the red light is on and the blue one is flashing.

I just downloaded the new version of the software and when I get it to connect after fiddling a bit it will connect, I can load a file on screen but can't transmit it to the gyro. You can see the queue go from 0 to 1 when I transmit but it doesn't go back to 0.
That in conjunction with the sliders resetting themselves would seem to indicate you have a problem with the comms from the PC to the gyro. That would be the RX wire on the cable (there is a picture further back in this thread of the wiring).
I would double check that one (flex the wires in different directions while testing with ohm meter) and make sure its not an intermittent connection fault.
Maybe when you are fiddling with the cable to get it to connect you are making the connection and then once you have the connection and let the cable go, the connection maybe opening again.
The fact that the queue is not going back to 0 is a sure indication it is a communication issue and the fact that you can get a connection at some stage, would support that it is just an intermittent cable fault rather than failed electronics at either end.
John_NZ is offline Find More Posts by John_NZ
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2012, 02:47 AM
Joined Jan 2007
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_NZ View Post
That in conjunction with the sliders resetting themselves would seem to indicate you have a problem with the comms from the PC to the gyro. That would be the RX wire on the cable (there is a picture further back in this thread of the wiring).
I would double check that one (flex the wires in different directions while testing with ohm meter) and make sure its not an intermittent connection fault.
Maybe when you are fiddling with the cable to get it to connect you are making the connection and then once you have the connection and let the cable go, the connection maybe opening again.
The fact that the queue is not going back to 0 is a sure indication it is a communication issue and the fact that you can get a connection at some stage, would support that it is just an intermittent cable fault rather than failed electronics at either end.
I did check the wires but will recheck again. I dont think it is the electronics either unless the gyro cant receive but like you said the fact that I do get connection is indication that something is working ok. When I connect to Tarot ZYX in the program one green light flashes intermittently. Is this normal ?
kel1 is offline Find More Posts by kel1
Old Feb 05, 2012, 02:54 AM
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
I did check the wires but will recheck again. I dont think it is the electronics either unless the gyro cant receive but like you said the fact that I do get connection is indication that something is working ok. When I connect to Tarot ZYX in the program one green light flashes intermittently. Is this normal ?
Yep, the right most green light will flash each time data is received from the gyro. Once connected, the light should stop flashing unless you change one of the settings.

There is also a monitor tab on the FBL program that is normally hidden unless you start the program with the /monitor switch.
If you go to the properties of the fbl program in the start menu (right click fbl program in start menu and select properties), add
/monitor in the target, so it will be something like "c:\program files\fbl\fbl.exe" /monitor
Then save the changes and start the FBL program.

You will then have a monitor tab on the main page.

You can connect to the gyro, then go to the monitor page. If you have full communications, you should be able to press 'monitor on' and the lower window should show 4 sets of numbers continuously. Pressing 'monitor off' should stop them. If not, there is a comms problem.

You can also start and stop the log if you want to have a log of the data sent to and from the gyro. The file created is called fbl.log and is created in the same folder where fbl.exe is. Note, you need to make sure that the folder is writable for your user account otherwise it may not be created.
Last edited by John_NZ; Feb 05, 2012 at 03:09 AM.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 03:05 AM
Joined Jan 2007
37 Posts
Quote:
Yep, the right most green light will flash each time data is received from the gyro
So that means the gyro is sending signals even if it is not transmitting ? It keeps doing the same thing when I transmit meaning that if I am not transmitting it flashes the same as when it is idle.

I am still not getting any signal movement in the setup tab either with the TX.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 03:11 AM
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
So that means the gyro is sending signals even if it is not transmitting ? It keeps doing the same thing when I transmit meaning that if I am not transmitting it flashes the same as when it is idle.
When the FBL program connects to the gyro, it commands the gyro to send data continuously. Once the FBL receives a few messages, it commands the gyro to stop sending data.
If the light is still flashing then the gyro has not responded (or received) the command to stop sending data.

Also see my previous post, which I just edited about using the monitor function.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 03:28 AM
Joined Jan 2007
37 Posts
OK, I will give the monitor function a try and get back with the results.

Thanks for the help !
Much appreciated

Kel
Old Feb 05, 2012, 02:26 PM
Udine, Italy
Joined Mar 2001
58 Posts
Hi John,
Thank you for your wonderful work. Today I used your software and is really good. I ve a question, or eventually an improvement. today I increased end point to pitch channel. But I ve a lot of backward and a little forward movement. End point on radio is zero. There is a way to calibrate end points for pitch or roll in different way for the two limits? Or is possible only one regulation for both?
Moreover: in your opinion for reduce sensibility to command is better reduce gain or increase expo?
Thank you vary much again
Andrea
andrea is offline Find More Posts by andrea
Old Feb 05, 2012, 03:50 PM
Joined Jan 2007
37 Posts
Quote:
Yep, the right most green light will flash each time data is received from the gyro. Once connected, the light should stop flashing unless you change one of the settings.

There is also a monitor tab on the FBL program that is normally hidden unless you start the program with the /monitor switch.
If you go to the properties of the fbl program in the start menu (right click fbl program in start menu and select properties), add
/monitor in the target, so it will be something like "c:\program files\fbl\fbl.exe" /monitor

You can connect to the gyro, then go to the monitor page. If you have full communications, you should be able to press 'monitor on' and the lower window should show 4 sets of numbers continuously. Pressing 'monitor off' should stop them. If not, there is a comms problem.

You can also start and stop the log if you want to have a log of the data sent to and from the gyro. The file created is called fbl.log and is created in the same folder where fbl.exe is. Note, you need to make sure that the folder is writable for your user account otherwise it may not be created.
Hi John,

When I add /monitor to the target location or ( "C:\Program Files\FBL\fbl.exe"/monitor) I get the message "C:\Program Files\FBL\fbl.exe"/monitor specified in the target box is not valid. Make sure the path and file name are correct so it won't save the changes for me. Am I doing something wrong ?

I am running Win 7. Could this be an issue?
Last edited by kel1; Feb 05, 2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 03:51 PM
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea View Post
Hi John,
Thank you for your wonderful work. Today I used your software and is really good. I ve a question, or eventually an improvement. today I increased end point to pitch channel. But I ve a lot of backward and a little forward movement. End point on radio is zero. There is a way to calibrate end points for pitch or roll in different way for the two limits? Or is possible only one regulation for both?
Moreover: in your opinion for reduce sensibility to command is better reduce gain or increase expo?
Thank you vary much again
Andrea
Hi Andrea,

I don't have enough experience with flying to answer the questions you have raised, but I am sure some of the other more experienced people here will be able to answer your questions.

As far as the software is concerned, I am not sure there is another way to calibrate the endpoints. Suggestions anyone?

John
Old Feb 05, 2012, 05:33 PM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,138 Posts
Andrea,

Do you mean that the end-points are zero ? that is not correct ... What you should do is go into the Monitor screen, then adjust the sub-trim so that when both sticks are in the middle the readings for A (aileron), E(Elevator),R(Rudder) and C(Collective) are all 0, and adjust the EPAs so that when you move the sticks to their limits that the readings go to +/- 100.

Cheers,
Mike
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Feb 06, 2012, 01:20 PM
United States, OK, Claremore
Joined Nov 2007
50 Posts
Kel1,

If you have a FBL desktopo icon you can right click on it and select "Properties". Under the Target field you will see the exact path to your FBL program (mine is "C:\Program Files (x86)\FBL\fbl.exe") . Add a space and the /monitor to the end of this field ("C:\Program Files (x86)\FBL\fbl.exe" /monitor) and click "Apply" in the lower right corner, then "OK" to close the window and relaunch FBL.

Good luck,
Dave
v823515 is offline Find More Posts by v823515
Old Feb 06, 2012, 02:19 PM
Joined Jan 2007
37 Posts
Quote:

I got the monitor to work. I forgot to put in a space before /monitor.(Thanks for the correction v823515).

It looks like it is sending a signal 7F 2F 1E 1E 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 FF 01 01 FF 01 01 46 46 50 50 01 01 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 02 00 01 FF 02 64 50 32 1E 00 00 28 50 64 1E 00 09 28 50 64 1E 00 09 7D 7D 19 19 7D 37 7D 7D 7D 3C 04 28 04 28 28 2D 2D 14 14 14 3C 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 53 BE 7E 0E over and over again in the top window but I see nothing in the bottom window happening at all and the green light keeps flashing.

I guess this is a Comm problem like you said but do you think it is the gyro or the USB Link.

I have checked the serial connector with an ohm meter. It seems fine. I looked at the solder joints inside the link and they look fine.

Maybe a bad solder joint in the gyro or a bad USB Link ?

I can program the gyro manually no problem.

The heli flies fine with the gyro.

Any Suggestions ??
Last edited by kel1; Feb 06, 2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2012, 03:03 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,969 Posts
You really need to eliminate each of the 3 possible causes:

Your PC: Try it on another PC and see what happens
Your USB Link: Buy another one, as this is cheaper than the next option
Your Gyro: Buy another one, but this is an expensive $30+ option

With your USB link, you could also try looping the Tx and Rx together (two center pins) and then seeing if everything you send is being returned.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Feb 06, 2012, 03:30 PM
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
It is a bit strange.

The message you are receiving over and over is the message from the gyro that contains all the data. The only way the gyro can start sending this message, is if it receives the command from the PC. This would indicate that at some stage at least, you have had communication both ways.
The fact that the gyro does not stop sending data means that the PC has failed to send the message to stop it (or the gyro has failed to hear it).

I agree with beenflying, you should try his last suggestion first. Join the RX and TX output of the dongle together and use hyperterm or similar to see that everything you type is returned.
Remember to turn off any hardware or software handshaking.
There is an excellent terminal utility available here
Old Feb 06, 2012, 04:43 PM
Joined Jan 2007
37 Posts
I was going to join the RX and TX outputs on the dongle and noticed that the center pins on the serial side were soldered together on the bottom of the circuit board. Are they supposed to be like that ?

Just for the heck of it I removed the solder between the 2 center pins hooked it up and all seems to work ok right now.

The green light stopped flashing. It seems to only flash now when data is sent or received.

I can load my ini file now from my manual programming that I was able to save at first somehow. It looks like this,

Byte 1 old:12 new:1E
Byte 2 old:17 new:00
Byte 3 old:08 new:02
Byte 4 old:E5 new:05
Byte 7 old:01 new:0E
Byte 8 old:FF new:00
Byte 9 old:01 new1
Byte 10 old:FF new:0F
Byte 13 old:63 new:12
Byte 14 old:4F new:02
Byte 15 old:3E new:05
Byte 16 old:3C new:02
Byte 17 old:FF new:00
Byte 18 old:01 new:00
Byte 19 old:FF new:00
Byte 20 old:01 new:00
Byte 28 old:02 new:00
Byte 30 old:03 new:00
Byte 31 old:FF new:00
Byte 33 old:64 new:EA
Byte 34 old:50 new:30
Byte 35 old:32 new:FF
Byte 36 old:1E new:FF
Byte 39 old:28 new:65
Byte 40 old:50 new:00
Byte 41 old:64 new:2A
Byte 42 old:1E new2
Byte 45 old:28 new:00
Byte 46 old:50 new:00
Byte 47 old:64 new:09
Byte 48 old:1E new:28
Byte 51 old:7D new:00
Byte 52 old:7D new:00
Byte 53 old:19 new:09
Byte 54 old:19 new:64
Byte 55 old:7D new:64
Byte 56 old:37 new:19
Byte 60 old:3C new:7D
Byte 61 old:04 new:7D
Byte 62 old:28 new:7D
Byte 63 old:04 new:3C
Byte 64 old:28 new:04
Byte 66 old:2D new:04
Byte 67 old:2D new:23
Byte 71 old:23 new:14
Byte 73 old:F3 new:14
Byte 74 old:00 new:46

I didn't put in the smiley faces nor do they show up on my monitor they only show up when I post here.

I still can't see anything at the bottom of the monitor window for some reason

When I go into setup and move the sticks around I get signal movement now.

Before I get too excited here can someone please verify whether or not their center pins on the serial side of the dongle are soldered together or not on the bottom of the board ?
Last edited by kel1; Feb 06, 2012 at 05:36 PM.