to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2012, 10:46 AM
3d Master in Training
United States, PA, Tunkhannock
Joined Dec 2011
725 Posts
I did exactly that
how long does it take to connect
will there be any lights on my zyx unit?
garrettt04s is offline Find More Posts by garrettt04s
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2012, 11:06 AM
nananabooboo!!
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Mar 2003
1,130 Posts
No lights on the XYZ...I have noticed that if the gyro doesn't connect immediately, closing the window and re-opening the program while the gyro is connected does the trick.
nieves50 is offline Find More Posts by nieves50
Old Feb 01, 2012, 11:23 AM
3d Master in Training
United States, PA, Tunkhannock
Joined Dec 2011
725 Posts
I had to rebind everything then it connected right away thanks
garrettt04s is offline Find More Posts by garrettt04s
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2012, 11:34 AM
nananabooboo!!
Joined Mar 2003
1,130 Posts
No problem!
Old Feb 01, 2012, 11:58 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,098 Posts
John said early on - make sure that you plug the usb dongle in before you start up his FBL software
MikeHRC is online now Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Feb 01, 2012, 01:28 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,884 Posts
Yes Mike's right. It won't display the COMs port the USB link is plugged into, in the drop down list, if the USB link is not plugged in before running the application.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Feb 01, 2012, 04:18 PM
United States, OK, Claremore
Joined Nov 2007
44 Posts
What is the exact procedure to disconnect properly?
v823515 is offline Find More Posts by v823515
Old Feb 01, 2012, 04:45 PM
Joined Jan 2011
23 Posts
Wobble

Thanks for the software, it works great.Now can someone tell me why when I lower the collective the heli sometimes looks like a slow spinning top?thanks in advance.
sailplane007 is offline Find More Posts by sailplane007
Old Feb 01, 2012, 04:55 PM
Joined Jan 2011
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_NZ View Post
Have you checked your pirouette optimization direction?
Yes and it was reversed, but it didn't help the wobble.
sailplane007 is offline Find More Posts by sailplane007
Old Feb 02, 2012, 04:06 AM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailplane007 View Post
Thanks for the software, it works great.Now can someone tell me why when I lower the collective the heli sometimes looks like a slow spinning top?thanks in advance.
too much pitch/roll gain. Try dropping 5-10 points off the I gain and/or add a little D gain on the swash. It is caused by slop in the head: linkages, bearings, servo gears.
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:37 PM
Joined Sep 2008
7 Posts
Has anybody tested John's app with an USB interface different than the Tarot one? The reason is that I meanwhile wait for more than 4 weeks for the delivery of the Tarot adapter and I am not willing to wait finalizing my heli setup for additional weeks.

Thus, I thought of using a generic USB<->serial<->TTL adapter for configuration of the ZYX gyro. I also would like to ask if somebody could draw a picture that shows the pinout of the interface so that I can solder my own cable.

Ralf
kingralf is offline Find More Posts by kingralf
Old Feb 02, 2012, 01:19 PM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingralf View Post
Has anybody tested John's app with an USB interface different than the Tarot one? The reason is that I meanwhile wait for more than 4 weeks for the delivery of the Tarot adapter and I am not willing to wait finalizing my heli setup for additional weeks.

Thus, I thought of using a generic USB<->serial<->TTL adapter for configuration of the ZYX gyro. I also would like to ask if somebody could draw a picture that shows the pinout of the interface so that I can solder my own cable.

Ralf
I tried to use a non-Tarot generic PL2303 USB dongle with the Tarot software (note - NOT John's, though I don't think that it would make any difference) and managed to damage 2 FBL units - they both stopped working on their comms port - they would still fly OK, but would not talk to my programming box or the software.

I would not do this unless you are absolutely positive that you have a compatable USB adapter.
MikeHRC is online now Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Feb 02, 2012, 02:16 PM
New Zealand, Taranaki, New Plymouth
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingralf View Post

Ralf
Ralf,

Attached is my drawing of the connections to the gyro. They are 5V TTL level of course, not RS232 level.
As far as the software is concerned, you can use any adaptor that represents itself as a COM port on the PC.
I personally use a plain old USB to Serial adaptor, which then goes through a RS232 to TTL level converter, then to the gyro.

As Mike says, you need to be careful with these connections as you can easily damage the interface.

Hope this helps.

John
John_NZ is offline Find More Posts by John_NZ
Old Feb 02, 2012, 06:20 PM
nananabooboo!!
Joined Mar 2003
1,130 Posts
Since you know how the protocol works, here's a quick question...

Is it possible to lengthen the wires without messing anything up? My USB works fine but the cable has just enough reach!