SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:18 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
I've read through quite a bit of this thread, but haven't quite found the answer I'm looking for...

Can the CX3X1000 be programmed via bluetooth and android app just like the ZYX can? All the android software i've found is explicitly for the ZYX. Will it work with the copterX version too?

Are they functionally any different at all?
You can use BT to program the CX-3X1000 from the PC, but you can't use the Android app. The CX-3X1000 and ZYX have a unique ID code and the Android app only looks for the ZYX code.

You might be one of the lucky ones that can flash their CX-3X1000 to the ZYX firmware. See the first post for the link.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:16 PM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
You can use BT to program the CX-3X1000 from the PC, but you can't use the Android app. The CX-3X1000 and ZYX have a unique ID code and the Android app only looks for the ZYX code.

You might be one of the lucky ones that can flash their CX-3X1000 to the ZYX firmware. See the first post for the link.
Hmmm, what is the advantage to flying the 3X1000 with ZYX firmware? Today the mailman brought me a new 3X1000 from ehirobo and a ZYX from Hobbyking I guess you all like the ZYX better? Comes in a nice package.

The ZYX looks identical to the 3X1000 but plastic and upside down I purchased to use a satellite RX, now I've got to find a project for it I was going to put it on a 450Pro but I ended up using a 3X1000, I really like that controller, impressive for $29 Guess I'll see how they compair...
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:23 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,656 Posts
Differences

The ZYX has had several firmware updates. There are some who claim that it now flies better than the CX, which has yet to get updated firmware. One of the Tarot firmwares reportedly caused pitch up in FFF issues. Many CX's can be cross-flashed with the Tarot firmware.

The Tarot uses separate leads from the controller to the RX, whilst the CX has them built in, and the CX doesn't come in a satellite flavour equivalent to the ZYX-s.

The CX is still cheaper than the ZYX.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:33 AM
Portugal, Lisboa, Lisboa
Joined Mar 2009
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zr_Flyer View Post
Java decompiles nicely
Is it possible to change the Unique ID and compile it again in order to work with CX3-1000 devices?
cruzado is offline Find More Posts by cruzado
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:50 AM
SoCal
Joined Oct 2011
550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzado View Post
Is it possible to change the Unique ID and compile it again in order to work with CX3-1000 devices?
Yes, it is possible, I'm a windows phone 8 guy so there isn't much motivation for me to do it. I'd be happy to share what I know about the toolchain if someone is interested.
Zr_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Zr_Flyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Micro Brushless H Part II
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:44 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1 Posts
Hi.
I received one zyx12 bluetooth adapter, but when I go to link with zyx30 app in my mobile, the bluetooth donīt pair and say "unnable to connect device". the mobile ask me for pairing code, but I know that this adapter no need any code, but I used 5782 that I saw in this forum but unsuccessfully.

Are there any solution?
my phone is a Xperia U with android ICS 4.0.4
demonion is offline Find More Posts by demonion
Last edited by demonion; Dec 06, 2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:37 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,656 Posts
Cross Flash failure! :(

I just tried cross-flashing one of my CX's with the Tarot 3.50 firmware. I was using John_NZ V1.21 software.

I followed Beenflying's procedure below:

Using John's v1.22 app:
1/ Open the app
2/ Power on the Tx, Rx and gyro and wait for it to initialize
3/ Select the correct coms port
4/ Click connect and wait for 3 greens
5/ Click the Open button in the firmware upgrade group and select the Tarot .bin firmware file (ZYX-250.bin)
6/ Click the Upgrade button
7/ De-power the gyro (leave the app running)
8/ Hold the gyro button and repower the gyro (you should see the progress bar in the status line)
9/ Wait for the upgrade complete
10/ Exit the complete dialog
11/ Cycle the power on the gyro and wait for it to initialize
12/ Click connect and wait for 3 greens (Tarot ZYX will be displayed in the status line)

All went well, up until step 12. The dialog box had shown the upgrade to be complete, but after that I can no longer connect the CX to the software.

Now, when I power up the CX, nothing happens - no LED's come on, and there is no control of any of the servos.

I therefore tried the procedure to restore the original firmware, shown below.

Restoring to CX-3X1000 if the crossflash failed:
1/ Open John's v1.22 app
2/ Select the correct coms port
3/ Click the Open button in the firmware upgrade group and select the CX-3X1000 v1.0 firmware file (CX-3X1000v1-0.bin) available in the first post
4/ Click the Upgrade button
5/ De-power the gyro (leave the app running)
6/ Hold the gyro button and repower the gyro (you should see the progress bar in the status line)
7/ Wait for the upgrade complete
8/ Exit the complete dialog
9/ Cycle the power on the gyro and wait for it to initialize
10/ Click connect and wait for 3 greens (CX-3X1000 will be displayed in the status line)

Again, the software can't connect. On my laptop, it uses Comm26, and that's the port shown for the Prolific USB-Serial Comm Port in device manager.

At step 6, I get a red LED on the CX, and just one or two bars in the upgrade progress bar. I've even tried repeatedly cycling the power to the unit during the attempted upgrade, with the reset button pressed in, and managed to coax about 5 bars on the progress bar before I get the dreaded "Firmware Upgrade Failed to Complete" box.

Update: I downloaded and installed the V1.22 software. With that, I was able to get the CX firmware restore to complete - but the controller still doesn't work, nor connect to the software. When I power up the controller with my TX sticks and gain switch in different positions, it causes some servo movement, and I can get the three LED's to light that way, so the unit is not dead, just disabled.

Any suggestions?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by 2Doggs; Dec 06, 2012 at 03:10 PM. Reason: V1.22 software
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:19 PM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
I've read through quite a bit of this thread, but haven't quite found the answer I'm looking for...

Can the CX3X1000 be programmed via bluetooth and android app just like the ZYX can? All the android software i've found is explicitly for the ZYX. Will it work with the copterX version too?

Are they functionally any different at all?
I've cross-flashed my CX3X1000 to the Tarot 3.5 firmware, and the Android / bluetooth connection works fine.
bwoollia is online now Find More Posts by bwoollia
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:38 PM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
I just tried cross-flashing one of my CX's with the Tarot 3.50 firmware. I was using John_NZ V1.21 software.

<snip, snip, snip>

Update: I downloaded and installed the V1.22 software. With that, I was able to get the CX firmware restore to complete - but the controller still doesn't work, nor connect to the software. When I power up the controller with my TX sticks and gain switch in different positions, it causes some servo movement, and I can get the three LED's to light that way, so the unit is not dead, just disabled.

Any suggestions?
2Doggs,

When doing the upgrade I am fairly certain that I had to re-connect to a powered-up TX + Rx to get the FBL unit to work - like you have to in the first usage.

Cheers,
Mike
MikeHRC is online now Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:11 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,656 Posts
Thanks Mike. I have been powering the controller up with my TX in throttle hold.

I've actually made good progress - I now have it almost working! I noticed that in the upgrade step, the bars filled up before all of the steps had been sent to the controller.

I went back to Device Manager, and changed the USB-Serial adaptor port to Com1, and tried again with the Tarot software. No joy, so I had another go with John's software, and this time the firmware upgrade steps matched the progress bar. I now have all but one aileron servo working!

I don't think I'd be trying this kind of procedure if this wasn't a $30 controller!

Update: It turns out that the aileron servo has died - it's unresponsive on the servo tester. Furthermore, the controller seems to have been successfully transitioned to be a ZYX, since it no longer connects to my CX program box.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by 2Doggs; Dec 06, 2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:32 PM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,523 Posts
2Doggs I hope you get it working again... It would be worth trying to reset the gyro to factory defaults using the stick programming motions.

The firmware flashing thing appears to be very temperamental, particularly when cross-flashing a CX to ZYX. Both my CX gyros cross flashed successfully to ZYX 3.5, but I've tried to flash them back to the CX v1 FW and failed dozens of times. So now I'm stuck with ZYX...
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:54 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,656 Posts
Hmm, I thought most people preferred the unit to be a ZYX 3.5 over a CX!

I'm not too bothered about the dead aileron servo - a Henge 922, and I might even be able to resurrect it with some donor parts from some crash damaged 933's I still have.

Next time, I'll disconnect all the servos before flashing!

I'm going to set up the CX ZYX with the same parameters as my other CX, and do some back to back flight tests to see if I can feel any differences.

Comparing the .ini file I just saved from the CX ZYX, it's gratifying to see that it's identical to the one I saved immediately prior to the cross-flash, despite all the hassle I had getting the firmware upgrade process to work.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:11 PM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,523 Posts
If and when CX comes up with a FW update I'd like to try it. After all, it took their guys more than a year to develop and test, so it ought to be awesome.

Note: a few may be missing from the above text.
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:14 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,656 Posts
I'm happy now! I actually had two Henge 933's with broken case lugs, and I was able to restore them by using the top case from my 922's, one of which is defunct anyway as a result of my cross-flashing debacle.

Now I have the #2 450 rebuilt with Henge 933's all round on cyclic, as opposed to the 2 x 922 on aileron and Corona 929MG on elevator. Funnily enough, one of my 933's was slightly faster than the other two, so I put that on elevator, where I believe the controller can do the best job of compensating for it. I do quite like the 933's - they're a bit slow, but still smooth and slop-free after about 100 flights.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:10 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,097 Posts
2Doggs

Glad you got it sorted - don't forget that you need to drop the D for the Swash Pitch and Roll PID settings to 10 for the 3.5 firmware
MikeHRC is online now Find More Posts by MikeHRC