SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:06 PM
Bolingbrook, IL 60490
Joined Mar 2008
106 Posts
I have a ZYX (not S) and updated to the non-s 3.5 software and tried it on a plane. I couldn't get the controls to work out and then I read that the S version supports planes... Previously I attempted to put the S software V3.5 on the non S ZYX and it never loaded properly. Has anyone gotten the S firmware on the non-S ZYX? In a previous page someone said they thought it might work, but I couldn't get it to work.
Thanks
Mike
mikejbb is offline Find More Posts by mikejbb
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:36 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejbb View Post
I have a ZYX (not S) and updated to the non-s 3.5 software and tried it on a plane. I couldn't get the controls to work out and then I read that the S version supports planes... Previously I attempted to put the S software V3.5 on the non S ZYX and it never loaded properly. Has anyone gotten the S firmware on the non-S ZYX? In a previous page someone said they thought it might work, but I couldn't get it to work.
Thanks
Mike
Unfortunately it wont work. My guess is they used a different encryption key in the boot code, so the code that ends up in the gyro, after you flash it, is just garbage.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:59 PM
Bolingbrook, IL 60490
Joined Mar 2008
106 Posts
AHhh, yes I read the encryption code was different, but didn't figure out the rest. Thanks.

So then has anyone gotten the ZYX (non-S) with ver 3.5 firmware to correctly control a plane? I was completely connected and I tried to change to plane mode, but I could see the response was still like a heli, not a plane. Have I screwed something up.
Thanks
Mike
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:16 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,879 Posts
I haven't heard of anyone using a non S version in a plane or X-copter. Even though both versions are v3.5 I think the S version only has these features.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:40 PM
Indonesia, Jakarta Capital Region
Joined Apr 2012
47 Posts
Quote:
Thanks
Mike
Quote:
AHhh, yes I read the encryption code was different, but didn't figure out the rest. Thanks.

So then has anyone gotten the ZYX (non-S) with ver 3.5 firmware to correctly control a plane? I was completely connected and I tried to change to plane mode, but I could see the response was still like a heli, not a plane. Have I screwed something up.
Thanks
Mike
I dont if it'll work or not but have you tried to set the swash type to mechanical mix swash on zyx. Put your ail servo to ch1, elev to ch2, and rudder to ch4. Use Y harnes if you use 2 servos for ail. Just leave ch3 empty.
krisnov is offline Find More Posts by krisnov
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:40 AM
Joined Apr 2011
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
I haven't heard of anyone using a non S version in a plane or X-copter. Even though both versions are v3.5 I think the S version only has these features.
I was under the impression you could use it so long as your non s version had the 3.5 software loaded. Somewhere down the line I seem to remember the programmer of the unit saying you could but I could not get a full and frank answer from him. I really cant see a problem with it but I have yet to try it and summer in the uk is definately over. Hope to get a plane to use as a platform soon.

I would imagine the worst situation would be that the gains cannot be reduced to zero so you switch off the gyro completely should you wish, I guess I would set up a low gain and a higher gain on the condition switch and switch to the low gains if I got in trouble.
Busher is offline Find More Posts by Busher
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:45 AM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,260 Posts
I think the gain channel still acts as a proportional gain setting. The difference is flipping over the 0-point does not switch to rate mode, buts sets condition2.

Problem i found with conditions is you have to redo EVERYTHING on the setup. Servo trim, servo reverse, total gains, etc.. I opted just to use dual-rates on the Tx to chance flight behavior.
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:24 AM
Joined Apr 2011
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00fman View Post
I think the gain channel still acts as a proportional gain setting. The difference is flipping over the 0-point does not switch to rate mode, buts sets condition2.

Problem i found with conditions is you have to redo EVERYTHING on the setup. Servo trim, servo reverse, total gains, etc.. I opted just to use dual-rates on the Tx to chance flight behavior.

If you use Johns software you do not need to re do everything for the 2nd condition, just use the copy condition function to make the change then tweak the gains etc to how you want them, save the profile and send it to the gyro, and your done.
Busher is offline Find More Posts by Busher
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:18 AM
Bolingbrook, IL 60490
Joined Mar 2008
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisnov View Post
I dont if it'll work or not but have you tried to set the swash type to mechanical mix swash on zyx. Put your ail servo to ch1, elev to ch2, and rudder to ch4. Use Y harnes if you use 2 servos for ail. Just leave ch3 empty.
It's been awhile since I tried using the zyx on my plane, but I'll try this setup next time I try it. I now have the HK rate only 3d gyro on it and it's fine, but it controls the rolls so they are hesitant, but they still happen. And the gain is set on the pot only as far as I know.
Thanks
Mike
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:05 PM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisnov View Post
I've always had a feeling you can do this with some clever setup. But I don't have a plank to try it... I wouldn't discount the non-s zyx just because it doesn't have a plane mode.
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:53 AM
Joined Nov 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helinator View Post
OK, just to be sure ...

Looking at the port of the ZYX unit with the ZYX-logo-label of the unit facing up
the pins would be (from left to right) ...

pin1=GND pin2=VCC pin3=TXD pin4=RXD

Right ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
Yes, this is correct.

Sorry, but we both were wrong.
This is the correction for the TAROT- or HK- ZYX PINOUT ...
ZYX logo facing up, looking at port from the side, from left to right ...

pin1=GND pin2=VCC pin3=RXD pin4=TXD

(This was already dokumented in post #254)

Happy cabeling !!!
Helinator is offline Find More Posts by Helinator
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:25 AM
Germany
Joined Apr 2006
7 Posts
I have an HK450 helicopter running with zyx-s and conventional receiver (orange 610). Now I want to upgdate zyx-s to firmware 3.5. Do I have to re-setup and re-adjust the zyx-s and the helicopter after firmware update?
Thanks for your help!

Best regards,
Hardy
Hardy1966 is offline Find More Posts by Hardy1966
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:37 AM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardy1966 View Post
I have an HK450 helicopter running with zyx-s and conventional receiver (orange 610). Now I want to upgdate zyx-s to firmware 3.5. Do I have to re-setup and re-adjust the zyx-s and the helicopter after firmware update?
Thanks for your help!

Best regards,
Hardy
No. All your settings will be preserved. You might have to tune the cyclic D gain down a bit. I think a value of 10 is a good start.
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:15 AM
Germany
Joined Apr 2006
7 Posts
That's fine,
I think I will update, hope therer will be no abnormal termination.
Hardy1966 is offline Find More Posts by Hardy1966
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:27 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,656 Posts
save an .ini file

As a sensible precaution, however, just be sure to save a .ini file prior to upgrading the firmware. Then you'll have a record of your settings which you can compare with the settings after the firmware upgrade or load into the unit if need be.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c