HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:27 PM
Joined Dec 2010
135 Posts
To cross flash the zyx firmware onto a cx, how are you guys de-powering The gyro? Unplug it from rx or do you have a switch in line?
Grawyl is offline Find More Posts by Grawyl
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:56 PM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,524 Posts
Unplug the ESC. I know it would be helpful to have a third hand in this, but with some fiddling you can do it. Or, get someone else to press the set button while you connect the flight pack to ESC.
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
Old Aug 28, 2012, 06:16 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Mar 2012
10 Posts
Frustrated!

Gaaaa! I must have spent at least 2 hours last night TRYING to get the bluetooth connection working. I performed the following steps:
1. Modded the USB cable swapping VCC & GND.
2. Powered up the gyro, and connected the cable (red light started flashing on the bt).
3. Searched for bt devices (found 'linvor').
4. entered the passkey '1234', computer 'paired' with the bt device.
5. Checked settings - it had 'serial over bt' as an available service via COM9.
6. I then tried putty, terraterm, etc, etc to get a connection on COM9, but NOTHIN I tried would make that light stop flashing!

Does anyone have any ideas?

Oh - and of course neither the Tarot software or John's would connect either.

Thanks - AC
AlphaCharlieAU is offline Find More Posts by AlphaCharlieAU
Last edited by AlphaCharlieAU; Aug 28, 2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:23 PM
Track clear , smoke on !
3 miles from AMA HQ Muncie, IN.
Joined Jan 2009
1,770 Posts
I know this has been covered before but I couldn't find it , I updated one of my ZYX units to and using the ZYX 3.5 not the ZYX-s 3.5 update.

And now all I get is a red flashing light for a few seconds then no lights and nothing then.
Is there a fix for this or is it just bricked now?
cap231ex is offline Find More Posts by cap231ex
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:20 PM
Joined Dec 2010
135 Posts
Hi guys. I too have a question.

I have programmed my cx gyro using tx and had great luck. I am inthe process of rebuilding and i have a usb programming cord on its way.

Question is; when I connec the gyro the the pc software will it erase the data on the gyro? If not, will the software read and display my current settings?

Thx
Grant
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:36 PM
Joined Dec 2010
135 Posts
@DR.M

When did you purchase your CX gyros that you cross flashed to zyx3.5?

I got mine in late Nov to early Dec (wife purchased for xmas gift last year so not exactly sure when) and i am wondering if this unit was made early enough to cross flash. Btw. It has the alum top with silver machined edge.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:36 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap231ex View Post
I know this has been covered before but I couldn't find it , I updated one of my ZYX units to and using the ZYX 3.5 not the ZYX-s 3.5 update.

And now all I get is a red flashing light for a few seconds then no lights and nothing then.
Hold the button on the gyro at power up (red led will flash), and then use John's app or the tarot v3 app to reflash it.

Edit: with John's app, open the firmware, select upgrade and then power up the gyro with the button pressed. The correct coms port must be selected.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Last edited by beenflying; Aug 29, 2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:40 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grawyl View Post
Hi guys. I too have a question.

I have programmed my cx gyro using tx and had great luck. I am inthe process of rebuilding and i have a usb programming cord on its way.

Question is; when I connec the gyro the the pc software will it erase the data on the gyro? If not, will the software read and display my current settings?

Thx
Grant
No it wont erase the settings. The gyro will retain it's settings and display the current settings in the PC app.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:03 PM
Joined Dec 2010
135 Posts
Thanks BF
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:34 PM
Track clear , smoke on !
3 miles from AMA HQ Muncie, IN.
Joined Jan 2009
1,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
Hold the button on the gyro at power up (red led will flash), and then use John's app or the tarot v3 app to reflash it.

Edit: with John's app, open the firmware, select upgrade and then power up the gyro with the button pressed. The correct coms port must be selected.
I took it apart and when I opened the case the set button fell out in 2 pieces.

I can only guess that those pieces moved around inside and shorted the board out , as I only got the red LED to light one time after the update was installed.

Looks like the case is closed!
cap231ex is offline Find More Posts by cap231ex
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:06 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,135 Posts
Quote:
I took it apart and when I opened the case the set button fell out in 2 pieces.

I can only guess that those pieces moved around inside and shorted the board out , as I only got the red LED to light one time after the update was installed.

Looks like the case is closed!
Bugger - that's a nuisance, there was one other guy that had a button fall apart ...
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:25 PM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:

Did you use the v3.0 PC software?

edit: Then again, can't really do anything about a broken set button. Not sure if it would short anything, but it's probably too fragile/ broken or damn right tiny to easily replace or fix, right?
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Last edited by PHMX; Aug 30, 2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:05 PM
USA, TX, College Station
Joined Aug 2010
240 Posts
Has anyone tried putting the ZYX-S firmware on a non -S unit? I am wanting to try out the airplane mode.

Has anyone tried cross flashing the Tarot programmer update to a CX programmer?
TX_Winds is offline Find More Posts by TX_Winds
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:29 PM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grawyl View Post
@DR.M

When did you purchase your CX gyros that you cross flashed to zyx3.5?

I got mine in late Nov to early Dec (wife purchased for xmas gift last year so not exactly sure when) and i am wondering if this unit was made early enough to cross flash. Btw. It has the alum top with silver machined edge.
I bought one of mine in Nov, and another in Feb. I've talked to a few people both here and on HF about crossflashing and I gather that CX gyros manufactured thru approximately Feb 2012 can be crossflashed, while those later ones cannot. Sale dates after Feb can be a poor indicator of whether it'll work or not, because the stock may have been from these first few batches.

I'm 90% sure yours should work.
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:20 PM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulgaba View Post
I installed 1.16 john_nz software. I didn't see the update button anywhere. His website says 1.16 is the stable working version. An I supposed to still use 1.22 or something else for updating the software on my tarot zyx unit. Wanting to go to 3.5
I would really advise not to use John_nz software, there's really no point and as you've found out yourself it's only really making things more confusing.

Just stick with the official software, they are more stable.

The official software can be found here:
http://www.0577mx.com/news.asp?clsid=15

(Please note the English translation button in the top right corner or use Google Chrome to translate any Chinese.)
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX