HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:10 PM
Registered User
Redondo Beach, CA
Joined Jan 2007
169 Posts
Cautionary Tale and Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.M View Post
+1
ZYX leads the pack by a mile.

Too bad some of the CX gyros can't be cross flashed. I'm really hapy mine worked.
I used John_NZ 1.21 SW to load Tarot 3.50 firmware on my 3x1000. It said it loaded 212 blocks and the upgrade was successful, but no lights and no joy when I repowered the gryo/rx. I tried the upload several times with the same result: happy firmware upload, bricked 3x1000 when I powered up. BTW, if anyone has any special procedures or incantations to try during firmware upgrade I'm listening.

But not to worry, I just reflashed with the original 3x1000 firmware (best I can tell there is only one version of firmware, CX-3X1000v1-0.bin). On power up everything looked fine and I had no trouble reloading my configuration file using John_NZ SW.

However, as they say on late night TV commercials, "But wait!" The tail servo acted like it was in rate mode even when in HH, and the heli did not respond properly to being tilted. Also, the swash response did not have the usual slow return to level, it was like having the servos directly on the rx with immediate swash centering when the stick returned to center. OTH, all the parameters in setup were correct, all the trims were correct, all the advanced settings were correct for both mode 1 and mode 2. I reset to default settings using the PC SW and still had the same odd rate like behavior. As I packed up last night, I rationalized that it was only a $30 gyro, and this firmware crash was cheaper than HW crashes I've had by a long shot. Still I was quite discouraged by having screwed up my nice flying heli.

This morning as a last resort, I went into the system menu using the tx, and did a reset to factory defaults. This fixed the problem, and I was able go back to the John_NZ SW and reload my config file. So it appears there are things that do not get reset by either a firmware upgrade or by loading the default.ini file, but the good news is that there is a factory reset available via tx stick dance.

Alan
ailevin is offline Find More Posts by ailevin
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2012, 08:31 PM
Registered User
kgd1's Avatar
United States, NJ, Plainsboro Township
Joined Aug 2009
218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ailevin View Post
I used John_NZ 1.21 SW to load Tarot 3.50 firmware on my 3x1000. It said it loaded 212 blocks and the upgrade was successful, but no lights and no joy when I repowered the gryo/rx. I tried the upload several times with the same result: happy firmware upload, bricked 3x1000 when I powered up. BTW, if anyone has any special procedures or incantations to try during firmware upgrade I'm listening.

But not to worry, I just reflashed with the original 3x1000 firmware (best I can tell there is only one version of firmware, CX-3X1000v1-0.bin). On power up everything looked fine and I had no trouble reloading my configuration file using John_NZ SW.

However, as they say on late night TV commercials, "But wait!" The tail servo acted like it was in rate mode even when in HH, and the heli did not respond properly to being tilted. Also, the swash response did not have the usual slow return to level, it was like having the servos directly on the rx with immediate swash centering when the stick returned to center. OTH, all the parameters in setup were correct, all the trims were correct, all the advanced settings were correct for both mode 1 and mode 2. I reset to default settings using the PC SW and still had the same odd rate like behavior. As I packed up last night, I rationalized that it was only a $30 gyro, and this firmware crash was cheaper than HW crashes I've had by a long shot. Still I was quite discouraged by having screwed up my nice flying heli.

This morning as a last resort, I went into the system menu using the tx, and did a reset to factory defaults. This fixed the problem, and I was able go back to the John_NZ SW and reload my config file. So it appears there are things that do not get reset by either a firmware upgrade or by loading the default.ini file, but the good news is that there is a factory reset available via tx stick dance.

Alan
Hmmm...I don't know if this matters but I used John_NZ 1.22 SW with success. With the silver edged CX-3X1000 unit. its worth a try. Good luck!
kgd1 is offline Find More Posts by kgd1
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:16 AM
SoCal
Zr_Flyer's Avatar
Joined Oct 2011
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgd1 View Post
Hmmm...I don't know if this matters but I used John_NZ 1.22 SW with success. With the silver edged CX-3X1000 unit. its worth a try. Good luck!
I have 3 of the silver edged ones, first one I tried today was a no go, I am using FBL 1.22. Will give the other two a go soon. Saving the OG blue one for last.
Zr_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Zr_Flyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Micro Brushless H Part II
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:22 AM
Registered User
mhills51's Avatar
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,615 Posts
Well I have given up on one of my CX's. I was setting it up when it did the weird servo thing going different directions and the tail and elevator servo shaking.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2012, 05:46 AM
Looptastic!
sp00fman's Avatar
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,312 Posts
Ok, i want to try the Tarot 3,5. will let you know how it goes
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2012, 06:29 AM
Registered User
Samare's Avatar
Belgium, Walloon Region, Liege
Joined Jun 2012
10 Posts
I sent an email yesterday to KY Model asking about firmware updates, mentioning that Tarot does provide updates, and suggesting to add some kind of cyclic ring total limit.

I just got a reply today, saying that their engineer is working on the firmware update which should be available soon. They also told me that they did forward my email to their engineer and that he was gonna add this change to their new firmware.

Wait and see...
Samare is offline Find More Posts by Samare
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2012, 07:02 AM
as much as I can
beenflying's Avatar
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,938 Posts
Thanks for letting us know, Samare.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:11 AM
Looptastic!
sp00fman's Avatar
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,312 Posts
Just updated my CX to tarot 3.5 and put 3 packs through it. Tail hold is sim-like. Very crisp stops even with a lower initial gain. Threw everything at it i have on the small flied. fast outside loops, contentious stationary rolls and flips. all well. Did not notice a big improvement on normal and inverted pirouetting hold. it still drifts off after a few rotations. Perhaps my swash is not leveled.

My other 2 birds will get the update later today. The 250 is gonna love this tail improvement
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:41 AM
Cereal Killer.
branflake12's Avatar
USA, IA, Iowa City
Joined Jun 2009
701 Posts
got a step by step for someone starting with an old, original CX to get there, spoof?
branflake12 is offline Find More Posts by branflake12
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:44 AM
Looptastic!
sp00fman's Avatar
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,312 Posts
Used jhonNZ 1,22

Firmware upgrade instruction
1.Connect the ZYX gyro to PC by ZYX USB adapter,click "Connect ZYX",make sure it succeed.
2.Open the Firmware in ZYX PC software.
3.Keep the PC,USB adapter and ZYX gyro connecting.Power off ZYX gyro,press "SET" button of gyro and power on.
4.The red lamp is flashing,click "Upgrade" button to start upgrade,the ZYX gyro will restart after successful upgrade.
5.Please make sure your gyro is Tarot ZYX,otherwise the gyro will be damaged.The ZYX gyro does not need to be setup again.


Still have to flash the other 2, one of them is an first batch, blue lined one.
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:33 PM
Cereal Killer.
branflake12's Avatar
USA, IA, Iowa City
Joined Jun 2009
701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00fman View Post
Used jhonNZ 1,22

Firmware upgrade instruction
1.Connect the ZYX gyro to PC by ZYX USB adapter,click "Connect ZYX",make sure it succeed.
2.Open the Firmware in ZYX PC software.
3.Keep the PC,USB adapter and ZYX gyro connecting.Power off ZYX gyro,press "SET" button of gyro and power on.
4.The red lamp is flashing,click "Upgrade" button to start upgrade,the ZYX gyro will restart after successful upgrade.
5.Please make sure your gyro is Tarot ZYX,otherwise the gyro will be damaged.The ZYX gyro does not need to be setup again.


Still have to flash the other 2, one of them is an first batch, blue lined one.
I ve got the copterx 3x1000, so your step 1 and 5 have me concerned that i cant do this. I was hoping to turn the cx into a zyx (crossflash?) and then upgrade. If im reading right, if i can get it crossed over, then just follow your steps?
branflake12 is offline Find More Posts by branflake12
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2012, 01:36 PM
Everyone is an idiot (or I am)
Daddy.'s Avatar
United States, TX, Red Oak
Joined Jun 2012
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samare View Post
I sent an email yesterday to KY Model asking about firmware updates, mentioning that Tarot does provide updates, and suggesting to add some kind of cyclic ring total limit.

I just got a reply today, saying that their engineer is working on the firmware update which should be available soon. They also told me that they did forward my email to their engineer and that he was gonna add this change to their new firmware.

Wait and see...
Great job! and thanks.
Daddy. is offline Find More Posts by Daddy.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2012, 02:03 PM
Looptastic!
sp00fman's Avatar
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by branflake12 View Post
I ve got the copterx 3x1000, so your step 1 and 5 have me concerned that i cant do this. I was hoping to turn the cx into a zyx (crossflash?) and then upgrade. If im reading right, if i can get it crossed over, then just follow your steps?
It worked for me twice, but not for my 250. IIRC that has the newest CX unit of my fleet .
I had to repeat the flash sequence with the original CX firmware listed on page one. It does work again, so no loss. Hope CX gets their firmware update out soon.

My night heli just got the update. Lets see what happens
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2012, 05:01 PM
Looptastic!
sp00fman's Avatar
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,312 Posts
Night heli with lowish RPM works also. Tail hold is a lot more locked in.
Piro compensation was actually a bit better on the CX firmware with this heli. I might be able to increase a few gains and see if it gets better.

I failed to shoot a decent video. Fatigue and nerves got to me and started losing orientations, so i headed back with half my packs charged.
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2012, 05:39 PM
Registered User
Dr.M's Avatar
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00fman View Post
Night heli with lowish RPM works also. Tail hold is a lot more locked in.
Piro compensation was actually a bit better on the CX firmware with this heli. I might be able to increase a few gains and see if it gets better.

I failed to shoot a decent video. Fatigue and nerves got to me and started losing orientations, so i headed back with half my packs charged.
I'm surprised to hear that about piro compensation... My 450 night rig, which is very nose-heavy, piro'd like cr@p on the stock CX firmware, and it did much much better with ZYX v3.50.
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold Darthdrk Drone CX Body for coax helis like the Blade CX etc. Twmaster Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Oct 08, 2011 08:31 PM
Multiplex mc V2 servo programming PC software Thomas B Radios 3 Jul 23, 2006 10:49 AM