HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2012, 01:07 AM
<Marty>
United States, KY, Springfield
Joined Jul 2011
1,921 Posts
don't think its the voltage cause i flew several packs the other day after i got it setup and no problems at all...today half way thru the first pack i was doing piro's and lost all controls accept throttle and had to dump it...found out the tail servo was shot...then swaped it out for a different one set it up hovered almost a pack and noticed the tail was shaky so i hooked it up to the pc to lower the gains and set the end points and then the swash tilts to the side for no reason and nothing worked accept throttle again...the servos still move when plugged in but they go all the way one direction and thats it wont move by stick...can unplug and center them and plug back in and they do the same thing over again...really sux cause the hitec servo had only about 20 flights on it not to mention there both the most expensive ones i own...
magic_marty is online now Find More Posts by magic_marty
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2012, 01:25 AM
<Marty>
Joined Jul 2011
1,921 Posts
just checked the voltage from the BEC and from the cx and both are showing exactly 6v ..so can rule out over voltage as the cause...not sure whats wrong with it ,but i am finished burning up expensive servos , tomorrow im putting my Walkera rx with bulit in 3 axis back on and trashing the cx3x1000...not going to chance it anymore, servos are to expensive!
Last edited by magic_marty; Jul 18, 2012 at 01:26 AM. Reason: typo
Old Jul 18, 2012, 01:36 AM
Joined Jul 2011
1,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_marty View Post
don't think its the voltage cause i flew several packs the other day after i got it setup and no problems at all...today half way thru the first pack i was doing piro's and lost all controls accept throttle and had to dump it...found out the tail servo was shot...then swaped it out for a different one set it up hovered almost a pack and noticed the tail was shaky so i hooked it up to the pc to lower the gains and set the end points and then the swash tilts to the side for no reason and nothing worked accept throttle again...the servos still move when plugged in but they go all the way one direction and thats it wont move by stick...can unplug and center them and plug back in and they do the same thing over again...really sux cause the hitec servo had only about 20 flights on it not to mention there both the most expensive ones i own...
You meant all servos move when you plug them back to 3X1000 but go all way one side without input. Or you are hooking up servos to rx directly.

I never use HS505mg as speed too slow but it's hard to convince me all HS5055 failed at the same time, plus DS420.
wlee1017 is offline Find More Posts by wlee1017
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:23 AM
nsf
Portugal, Aveiro
Joined Apr 2012
35 Posts
Thanks everybody.
I was doing it right but moving the adjustments the other way, thatís why I never reached 100. Now I think I'm having trouble with the tail servo. Itís very slow. I know I need a faster servo but Iím not sure if the problem is from the one I mounted for testing purposes (E-MAX ES08D). I move the stick and the servo doesnít respond immediately. It takes a while to react. That doesnít happen with the cyclic servos (TG9).
nsf is offline Find More Posts by nsf
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:43 AM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsf View Post
Thanks everybody.
I was doing it right but moving the adjustments the other way, thatís why I never reached 100. Now I think I'm having trouble with the tail servo. Itís very slow. I know I need a faster servo but Iím not sure if the problem is from the one I mounted for testing purposes (E-MAX ES08D). I move the stick and the servo doesnít respond immediately. It takes a while to react. That doesnít happen with the cyclic servos (TG9).
The problem is most likely not the servo, but a setting in the Advanced Menu .. the RC Deadband value is probably too high. It's at 40 default, which is quite crazy. Lower it to 20 and try again.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:27 AM
nsf
Portugal, Aveiro
Joined Apr 2012
35 Posts
Thanks PHMX.
Sorry to bother, but any idea were to set that. As I said, I'm new to hobby specially helis.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:29 AM
United States, NJ, Plainsboro Township
Joined Aug 2009
218 Posts
Be aware those Emax servos burn out pretty fast. I had three of them fail running at the spec voltage.
kgd1 is offline Find More Posts by kgd1
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:40 AM
nsf
Portugal, Aveiro
Joined Apr 2012
35 Posts
Thanks for the warning kgd1, but that's not my tail servo. Just used it for some testing with the tail blades. The heli is still in the ground. I have a lot to go before the maiden flight.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:47 AM
<Marty>
Joined Jul 2011
1,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlee1017 View Post
You meant all servos move when you plug them back to 3X1000 but go all way one side without input. Or you are hooking up servos to rx directly.

I never use HS505mg as speed too slow but it's hard to convince me all HS5055 failed at the same time, plus DS420.
no when the good servos are hooked to the cx1000 they work but if i plug in the bad one/ones it toasted none work ...when i plug in the servos directly to the rx or a different rx the good ones function as they should but the bad ones just go all the way one direction and wont move by stick inputs ...im pretty sure something in the cx burnt the servos cause i have never had any problems with them before and the hitecs are fairly new with very little use...i considered crossflashing the cx with the tarot firmware but i don't want to risk burning up more $$$ in servos...
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:58 AM
Joined Jul 2011
1,389 Posts
Quote:
no when the good servos are hooked to the cx1000 they work but if i plug in the bad one/ones it toasted none work ...when i plug in the servos directly to the rx or a different rx the good ones function as they should but the bad ones just go all the way one direction and wont move by stick inputs ...im pretty sure something in the cx burnt the servos cause i have never had any problems with them before and the hitecs are fairly new with very little use...i considered crossflashing the cx with the tarot firmware but i don't want to risk burning up more $$$ in servos...
I agree not to risk burning up more servos.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:14 PM
<Marty>
Joined Jul 2011
1,921 Posts
i will open up the cx to see if anything looks obvious to have caused the servo burning but unless i find a giant red flag and can fix it im not going to use it anymore...prolly salvage the leads and toss it...really sux cause this is my first 3 axis unit other then using the walkera rx's with built in 3 axis and i must admit im very disappointed with it...makes me very leary of buying anymore of the cheaper units as they all just seem to be clones of each other...after loosing $$ on the servos it makes the high end 3x units seem not so expensive after all.

i have 3 Henge922 i can place on the cyclics and for the tail i have no idea what i will use but the ds420 it burnt up was a very good tail servo and the only one i had...might try to use one of the Exi213s i have in a different heli i don't fly anymore...so at least with putting the walkera rx back on i might be able to get it flying again but prolly not as good for the tail as it was...
Last edited by magic_marty; Jul 18, 2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:21 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,389 Posts
Quote:
i will open up the cx to see if anything looks obvious to have caused the servo burning but unless i find a giant red flag and can fix it im not going to use it anymore...prolly salvage the leads and toss it...really sux cause this is my first 3 axis unit other then using the walkera rx's with built in 3 axis and i must admit im very disappointed with it...makes me very leary of buying anymore of the cheaper units as they all just seem to be clones of each other...after loosing $$ on the servos it makes the high end 3x units seem not so expensive after all.
yes, open it and look for any burnt electronic component, loosen wiring, borken soldering, solder residue and any debris. just as I mentioned in previous post before.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 02:51 PM
<Marty>
Joined Jul 2011
1,921 Posts
opened it up and used a magnifying glass to inspect it and nothing looked burnt or any loose connections, cold solder joints ect...tried to install the henge servos to replace the cyclics and they are to tall so im grounded till i get the $ to replace the burnt servos...
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:21 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,389 Posts
Quote:
opened it up and used a magnifying glass to inspect it and nothing looked burnt or any loose connections, cold solder joints ect...tried to install the henge servos to replace the cyclics and they are to tall so im grounded till i get the $ to replace the burnt servos...
hope not servo signal driver mess up. If you have oscilloscope, I will check the signal output to servo and see if it match the servo setup parameter.

Anyway, keep us post and good luck.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:34 PM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsf View Post
Thanks everybody.
I was doing it right but moving the adjustments the other way, that’s why I never reached 100. Now I think I'm having trouble with the tail servo. It’s very slow. I know I need a faster servo but I’m not sure if the problem is from the one I mounted for testing purposes (E-MAX ES08D). I move the stick and the servo doesn’t respond immediately. It takes a while to react. That doesn’t happen with the cyclic servos (TG9).
that behaviour is caused by the RC Deadband parameter being too large (default). Decrease it to 10 or so and it should work much better.
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
Last edited by Dr.M; Jul 18, 2012 at 03:35 PM. Reason: spelling