HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 14, 2012, 08:24 PM
Texas NewB
United States, MD, Princess Anne
Joined Dec 2011
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy. View Post
Gentlemen, I'm going through this 500 with ZYX I just got and would appreciate a little advice and opinions.

On John's software in setup "monitor screen" tab all directions are correct even though it has been mentioned this is not necessary. What about adjusting the subtrims in the tx to get "0" as directed in the monitor screen instructions?

Many thanks,
Ken
I would not worry about it.
Mine are off a little there.
Black_heart is offline Find More Posts by Black_heart
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2012, 08:27 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,943 Posts
Quote:
Gentlemen, I'm going through this 500 with ZYX I just got and would appreciate a little advice and opinions.

On John's software in setup "monitor screen" tab all directions are correct even though it has been mentioned this is not necessary. What about adjusting the subtrims in the tx to get "0" as directed in the monitor screen instructions?

Many thanks,
Ken
Again it's not a requirement (as the gyro learns the stick centers at switch on), but if you have the time and want all the stick throws to be exactly as they should be, use the subtrims to set center and the ATV/EPA's to get 100 percent travel.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Jul 14, 2012, 08:43 PM
Everyone is an idiot (or I am)
United States, TX, Red Oak
Joined Jun 2012
417 Posts
Thanks BH and BF, I think I just like messing with it! Good to hear either way is ok. Was lucky I guess on the cx3x1000 on the 450 I built, it was just spot on and didn't need tweaking : ) The settings on this used 500 I bought were not, plus some other things that need tweaked. Hope to take her up tomorrow with BH.

Again many thanks gentlemen,
Ken
Daddy. is offline Find More Posts by Daddy.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 09:03 PM
Texas NewB
United States, MD, Princess Anne
Joined Dec 2011
939 Posts
lol yea My $230.00 500 against his Align

I'm hoping I can get some air with My 600 tomorrow to got my Solor D228 servos in for Cyclic mounted and need to go threw setup and change the servo settings for them and trim it back out.

I was able to get my hands on a CX3X1000 for my 500 and its on the way now I need a head for it.
Black_heart is offline Find More Posts by Black_heart
Old Jul 14, 2012, 09:16 PM
<Marty>
United States, KY, Springfield
Joined Jul 2011
2,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
On the main screen you have Tail Raw Rate L/R. Lower these or use dual rates in you Tx to reduce the piro speed and tail sensitivity. Also make sure you Tail RC Dead band is set to 30.

Piro optimize is very important and you should not fly until you are positive that you have it set correctly. When you enable piro optimize the swash plate will tilt. If the piro direction is set correctly the swash plate should stay tilted pointing to the same place in the room as you rotate the heli (like a compass needle would do, as you rotated the compass).

Thanks so much...i lowered yaw and got the piro opt to work (which i had backwards) and now it handles much much better...also lowered the dead band from 60 to 30
magic_marty is offline Find More Posts by magic_marty
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:39 PM
Cereal Killer.
USA, IA, Iowa City
Joined Jun 2009
701 Posts
Hey guys,
Just maidened my G5 with the 3x1000 on it. Setup went well, behaved fine on the ground, corrected fine. Got the swash values and servo arm distance correct per the thread. Spool up was good, "flew" it on the ground and popped it up. It nearly shook itself apart and i had to dump it. Couple shafts replaced (and maybe a swash servo, havent fired it back up yet) and that was all.

Got a check list for shivering, wild, rabid dog syndrome?

Thanks in advance
branflake12 is offline Find More Posts by branflake12
Old Jul 15, 2012, 01:20 AM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by branflake12 View Post
Hey guys,
Just maidened my G5 with the 3x1000 on it. Setup went well, behaved fine on the ground, corrected fine. Got the swash values and servo arm distance correct per the thread. Spool up was good, "flew" it on the ground and popped it up. It nearly shook itself apart and i had to dump it. Couple shafts replaced (and maybe a swash servo, havent fired it back up yet) and that was all.

Got a check list for shivering, wild, rabid dog syndrome?

Thanks in advance
yep, too much gain on roll/pitch. Start with a value of 25 on both. Go and test fly. You shouldn't have any wobbles, but it might drift. You can increase the gain slowly, a few points at a time until you just start seeing the wobbles come back when the head is unloaded or after abrubt stick input. Then go back 2 points.
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
Old Jul 15, 2012, 02:05 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,137 Posts
Quote:

Many thanks,
Ken
I do this - some others don't bother, you can also set the ETAs to get +/-100 in the monitor
MikeHRC is online now Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Jul 15, 2012, 02:31 AM
<Marty>
United States, KY, Springfield
Joined Jul 2011
2,080 Posts
is it best to have the highest gain possible without wobble? will it affect the response from the sticks? i mean like make the heli seem sluggish when stick inputs are applied quickly?
magic_marty is offline Find More Posts by magic_marty
Old Jul 15, 2012, 03:19 PM
Joined May 2011
1,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_marty View Post
is it best to have the highest gain possible without wobble? will it affect the response from the sticks? i mean like make the heli seem sluggish when stick inputs are applied quickly?
I think so. High overall gains won't make stick response sluggish. Perhaps if you've got the I gain too high, it may seem like the gyro is fighting your inputs. In contrast, the higher the P gain, the more dramatic and immediate the response to stick.

I seem to like backing of on total gains about 10-15 points below the value which would cause wobble. Then I max out P until just below the wobble point.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 06:32 PM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:

Many thanks,
Ken
You should totally calibrate your radio in that menu, as it can cause drift issues for sure if you don't. Mind you, the idea is to prevent unwanted radio input and getting this right will enable you to lower the RC deadband by a LOT without running into problems.

The key to getting a good stick response is setting up the right RC deadband (usually pretty darn low) and also make sure the dual rates / mix values make sense. Set those too low and it will feel unresponsive, regardless of what gains you're using. The gain values do not 'lock-up' the helicopter, there's no self-level / auto-level.

I wouldn't really question the use of such setup procedures (radio calibration) if you don't really know what it does.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Last edited by PHMX; Jul 15, 2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 08:43 PM
Joined Jun 2012
417 Posts
Hi Mike and thanks,

Yea, I set EP's and everything in the program, I like messing with it! Everything setup good and backed off cyclic to 6.5 degrees in software and pitch to 11 degrees (still amazed at how much pitch/cyclic you can get with FBL...but makes sense).

Took her up today, everything good on the ground and poped it up when I got to mid stick...meant to pop it up about 6 ft but probably got closer to 20! Very bad wobbles! Tryied to fly it out but had to dump it with TH, only a hard landing and 1 stripped servo (which we theorize got stripped during the inadvertent pitch pump up! Explains why I lost control). The servo's had been in a crash by a previous owner (received with bent boom at heli end and found gear teeth left in gritty servo before I flew...should have taken them all apart in hindsight and not just the crunchy one).

Also, I set the gain's to default 40 as in the program, the setting as received were at 35. Since my 65's in my 450 handle 40 I thought to myself the ds510's should surly handle 40 when everything is set good...live and learn! But it could have saved me by finding a bad/weak geared servo...better a hard landing on first trial that bad crash in flying...and I did jump it up (too) quickly.

Any others want to share their ds510 with zyx experience? Or opinion? Most welcomed : )

Anyway, great day flying and heli fun with Black Heart. 3 sets of gears and turn the gain down and I'm sure the 500 will be good next time!

Cheers,
Ken
Old Jul 16, 2012, 03:45 AM
Joined May 2011
1,524 Posts
Quote:
... snip...

Any others want to share their ds510 with zyx experience? Or opinion? Most welcomed : )
I got DS510M on cyclic in my Protos. They work well with the CX FBL controller with gains above 40. I run them at 6V with arms at 13mm. 2700HS in IU.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:24 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,137 Posts
Unfortunately I'm having different results with 510s in my Protos - down to about 27 gain to lose the wobble
MikeHRC is online now Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:52 AM
Joined Jun 2012
417 Posts
Thanks Dr. M and Mike. Interesting...I wonder if;

1. The increased volts/speed allows higher gain or
2. Blade weight/ headspeed having different mass/ momentum or
3. Metal gear mass provides more dampening or
4. Just variations in mems chips

I doubt #4 is the cause since these chips aren't etched just for the zyx. The first 3 have possibilities though. I think it would be interesting to figure out if we can, then, in theory, we should be able to standardize setup's to get the maximum benefit from the zyx and cx3.

I may try the metal gears but a big difference in price on these ($6 vs $22).

What do you gentlemen think about asking folks to post info (new thread)? I could keep a compilation of the statistics (N, min, max, avg, mean) per servo posted.

Gain
Servo
HS
Blades
Swash
Horn distance

Umm, the more info we ask for would influence less response though. I think we all can agree horn distance affects this. I was hoping (lol) that we'd be able to get gain setting down to servo and horn distance.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Ken

PS Oh, don't know HS yet but 40 gain at 13mm horn didn't work for me. Pro 3D blades and stock align swash at 5 volts on plastic gear DS510.
Last edited by Daddy.; Jul 16, 2012 at 11:02 AM.