HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2013, 05:07 AM
United States, IN
Joined Jun 2011
138 Posts
Greetings,

just curious; how does KK.2 board reflashed with Open Aero compare to an Eagle Tree 2D/3D Guardian ? Does it do leveling and head holding ?

cheers,
MarLi
MarLi is offline Find More Posts by MarLi
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:41 PM
United States, MA, Shrewsbury
Joined Mar 2013
86 Posts
can anyone here offer an opinion on whether a KK board with openaero could actually make more complex planes into trainers? with the auto-stabilization, it creates a virtual dihedral wing and mitigates the effects of wind (which can really screw up new pilots)

could a total newbie put this on their first plane, a scratch built EPP 3d profile flier perhaps, and actually learn to fly using it?
joekitch is offline Find More Posts by joekitch
Old Mar 29, 2013, 03:23 PM
Joined Jun 2012
16 Posts
a qualified maybe on using it as a trainer, I have been trying to do this for some time now, flying with an experenced pilot and I have yet to get the flight controller to work as well as the commercial ones, but it will eventually.
tedbmoss is offline Find More Posts by tedbmoss
Old Mar 29, 2013, 03:30 PM
Joined Jun 2012
16 Posts
in reference to why no one is on this site; that is because we are all working with openaero2.0.
tedbmoss is offline Find More Posts by tedbmoss
Old Apr 01, 2013, 08:51 AM
Liverpool, UK
Joined Aug 2004
126 Posts
(I appreciate that with the advent of openAero 2 this is pretty much a defunct thread but just wanted to say a couple of things.)
Firstly HappySundays, Thanks and I salute you!
I can never just leave a decent plane alone or scratch build something simple. My current project has been converting a single engine low wing fighter into a high wing, twin engine flying boat. I got her flying okay but as anyone who's flown flying boats know's they can be a little 'odd', primarily due to the abnormally deep fuse. Mine's very neutral and also REALLY needs higher pitch and span props but it flies, just. Today I took it out to test a couple of minor mods and mainly having fitted a KK board with openAero. It was a bit blustery and attempted ROG (she has removable wheels) ended in a four second or so 'flight' and rough landing. No notable damage though. I then throw launched and got her into the air. I intended to get some reasonable altitude and then switch on the stabilisation but between her innate characteristics, the poor prop choice and the wind I just couldn't gain more than twenty feet or so. Tentatively I flicked the switch.
Well the wind just turned off and I started to climb. Utterly transformed. Much more co-ordinated in the turns(no adverse yaw due to the fuse I assume), no real jostling from the gusts and she climbed easily to where I was more worried about losing orientation than anything else.
This was the maiden with an untried and unoptimised system. Flashed the firmware, set the stick centre's , set the Gyro directions and then hooked it all up. God alone knows how OpenAero 2 can be much better. Maybe the further from ideal you start the more you can see the improvement?

I'm now wondering if I should save for another KK or KK2 for my Dr1* or maybe start work on an inherently unstable design (sometimes seems like the only type I can do anyway )

To those with a spare KK lying around definately try it. To Happy, again thanks and Kudos mate.

Kev

*Look, I can fly it, honest, but the thought of being able to do so in less than perfectly still conditions appeals!
Zagadka is offline Find More Posts by Zagadka
Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:52 AM
Joined Dec 2011
1 Posts
switching modes

Hi all,

I have flashed my HK KK board with OpenAero V 1.14, I use a turnigy RX/TX with PWM (not CCPM), THR pin on KK board "wiered" to 3pos switch on TX

Everything works well.

My question,
How can I make this.
Switch to pos 0 (~1000 pulse) - Stsbility OFF, Autolevel OFF
Switch to pos 1 (~100 pulse) - Stability ON, Autolevel OFF
Switch to pos 2 (~2000 pulse) Stability ON, Autolevel ON

order of combinations in not so importat.

Thx,
dj_gonzy is offline Find More Posts by dj_gonzy
Last edited by dj_gonzy; Apr 24, 2013 at 01:17 AM.
Old May 13, 2013, 10:17 AM
Liverpool, UK
Joined Aug 2004
126 Posts
I know this is a dying thread but I wanted to add something that may help someone else.

I had already flashed and fitted a KK board to a plane with no problems and bought a HK 2.1 board for a flying wing I had for bad weather flying. Flashed okay to FW PWM. Wired up according to the instructions but got no servo response with or without stability switched on. Successfully set stick centers and failsafe (correct LED flashes at any rate) but still no servo movement at all. Checked everything several times, re-flashed the board, tried running off a Rx batt instead of BEC etc etc etc.
Finally added a lead from Rx channel four to rudder input and all is working correctly now.

Kev
Zagadka is offline Find More Posts by Zagadka
Old May 19, 2013, 09:42 PM
Enjoying the sunshine
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2011
2,955 Posts
Hey people.
Yes as the original OpenAero and the hardware it runs on is so very much left beind by OpenAero2 and OpenAero32 I do not follow this thread at all.

If you have not heard about OpenAero2 and the KK2 board yet, I suggest you do
HappySundays is offline Find More Posts by HappySundays
Old May 23, 2013, 08:30 PM
Canada, NL, Conception Bay South
Joined Jun 2012
102 Posts
Skywalker X5

Good Evening,

I just today discovered this wonderful project and immediately flashed a spare KK2.0 board with the latest version of OpenAero2. I am trying to set up my X5 with a DX8 transmitter and have run into a wall. I have tied everything but for the life of me can't figure it out.

I have two servos (left and right evelons) and can not get them to work in the correct direction. From the receiver to KK2.0 board (inputs) I have:

Throttle - Direct to ESC
Aile - Left Side #1
Elev - Left Side #2
Rudd - Left Side #4
Gear - Left Side #5
Aux 1 - Left Side #3

From the KK2.0 Board (outputs) I have:
#1 - Empty
#2 - BEC
#3 - Empty
#4 - Empty
#5 - Empty
#6 - Left Wing servo (evelon)
#7 - Right Wing Servo (evelon)
#8 - Empty

With this setup, my DX8 wing type set to normal (1 servo), and the KK2.0 board wing type set to flying wing, I get same (up or down) deflection with aileron stick and opposing movement with elevator; this is the opposite of what one expects. It is like my aileron and elevator are reversed.

Questions:

1) What wing type do I set my DX8 too? 1 servo, 2 servo, etc...
2) Do I set the KK2.0 board "Model Type" to "Flying Wing"?
Newfie Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Newfie Pilot
Old May 27, 2013, 12:51 PM
Joined May 2013
2 Posts
Hi

I'm using KK multicopter v5.5 (blackboard) recently flashed with following versions of OpenAero
OE_1_13B7_A_STD_PWM1.hex
OE_1_13B7_A_STD_PWM1.hex
OpenAero_V1_14_1_A_STD_PWM1.hex
OpenAero_V1_14_1_A_STD_PWM2.hex

However all i get is the led blinking in all of them and no response when i change the stick positions on the TX. (Series of quick ~6 blinks then no blink for a second then repeats) I understand that OpenAero does not require a sequence of stick positions for arming. So it should work as soon as i power the board?

The way i'm connecting the board to the RX and the servos is the same as shown on the first post (first illustration).
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySundays View Post
Connection diagram - PWM Aeroplane V1.14

I understand this is an old board, old version of OpenAero and an old thread but i'm unable to find help anywhere else.
shifu is offline Find More Posts by shifu
Old May 28, 2013, 03:27 AM
Joined May 2013
2 Posts
Seemed to get stuck on SetFailSafe(). Fixed by switching to older version (v1.12).
shifu is offline Find More Posts by shifu
Old Jun 02, 2013, 01:15 PM
Joined May 2011
36 Posts
Does the older HK KK boards (I have 3.0) support CCPM (NOT CPPM) with a 120* swash on flybarless helis? I swear I read that it could so I converted my 450 over, but now I can't seem to find it again! :O I might have misread, I see that KK2 does it, but I don't have a KK2 for my 450.

Thanks for any help.

edit:
I was lucky enough to pre-order another KK2, before they came into stock again. They sold out right away without me getting one, but then more came in and I got one of those! Will use openaero2 for my heli.
Brainanator is offline Find More Posts by Brainanator
Last edited by Brainanator; Jun 12, 2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old Jun 02, 2013, 05:12 PM
Joined Jun 2013
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_gonzy View Post
Hi all,

I have flashed my HK KK board with OpenAero V 1.14, I use a turnigy RX/TX with PWM (not CCPM), THR pin on KK board "wiered" to 3pos switch on TX

Everything works well.

My question,
How can I make this.
Switch to pos 0 (~1000 pulse) - Stsbility OFF, Autolevel OFF
Switch to pos 1 (~100 pulse) - Stability ON, Autolevel OFF
Switch to pos 2 (~2000 pulse) Stability ON, Autolevel ON

order of combinations in not so importat.

Thx,
Same situation here. Would like to know how to program 3pos on TX.
Found the following hints, but didn't tested yet:

// For 3-position switch, use medium to high range of THR input
// The range of less than -100 has both Stability and Autolevel OFF

// Stability mode selection
// ------------------------
// Hold Yaw stick on TX left (direction may depend on TX)
// Power on
// LED flashes 4 times
// Mode will toggle between the following:
// Stability switchable
// Stability always ON
//
// Autolevel mode selection
// ------------------------
// Hold Yaw stick on TX right (direction may depend on TX)
// Power on
// LED flashes 5 times
// Mode will toggle between the following:
// Autolevel switchable
// Autolevel always OFF
rivado is offline Find More Posts by rivado
Old Jun 04, 2013, 02:48 AM
Joined Jun 2013
2 Posts
ok, for others looking for autoleveling with standard KK board (non-LCD):
It is not possible because there is no accelometer on this board.
So, no autolevel function with openaero 1.14.x and standard KK board V 2.1 / V 3.0.
You need a KK2 board flashed with openaero2 if you want the autolevel function.
rivado is offline Find More Posts by rivado
Old Jun 06, 2013, 02:14 PM
United States, CA, Woodside
Joined Mar 2013
228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivado View Post
ok, for others looking for autoleveling with standard KK board (non-LCD):
It is not possible because there is no accelometer on this board.
So, no autolevel function with openaero 1.14.x and standard KK board V 2.1 / V 3.0.
You need a KK2 board flashed with openaero2 if you want the autolevel function.
Find out more here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1708175
Willyspu is offline Find More Posts by Willyspu