HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2012, 03:04 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Oct 2004
434 Posts
Discussion
UAV systems Single Rotor vs Multi Rotor

I wonder one thing and I cannot come up with a logical answer.

Why are Single Rotor (conventional Helicopter) UAV control systems always more expensive than MultiRotor ones???

Pretty much same hardware used on both systems. So is the difference coming from the software? Hard to believe that...

Any ideas?
iskoos is offline Find More Posts by iskoos
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2012, 05:00 PM
Chris Anderson
San Francisco/Bay Area
Joined Mar 2007
937 Posts
They aren't always. ArduCopter on the APM platform supports both single rotor and multirotor for the same price ($199).

But the single-rotor code did take longer to develop, because the mechanical and physical properties of traditional helis are a lot more complicated than muticopters. The moments of inertia of single rotors very widely between models, and the placement of the control board matters more. Plus the lag of mechanical linkages running at 50hz (servo speed) vs the 400hz updates of ESCs.
zlite is offline Find More Posts by zlite
Old Jan 06, 2012, 10:51 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Oct 2004
434 Posts
Thank you Chris. I was right then. It is the software that makes the price difference...
I heard about Ardu pilot and I was thinking that it was strictly for fixed wing and multirotor aircrafts. The link you posted shows that Ardu pilot can autopilot just about anything. However, all the talk and videos mostly about multirotors. I have yet to find a video showing an R/C helicopter controlled by arducopter system...
I didn't know Arducopter is an opensource project. Openpilot is an opensource project too and I think it can be used for singlerotor copters but 99% of folks use it for multirotors making it obvious that these systems working much better with multirotor copters...
Hard for me to understand the details I am not a programmer...
iskoos is offline Find More Posts by iskoos