HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by c0dem0nkey, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 05, 2012, 01:19 PM
I want it to go fast...
San Diego
Joined Sep 2006
797 Posts
Rant
Hinging is annoying to me

I've recently been working on two PSS planes and forgot that I know little about hinging...Oh sure I can get them on but they don't have the sparkle and shine I want to produce.

Live Hinge

The perfect live hinge...how hard could it be. Turns out to be very elusive for me.

My main problem is the kevlar always makes a bump under the glass and I have to do several sessions of sand and fill....which I don't like to do. And putting a layer of kevlar on the whole wing/tail sounds overkill.

Also I always seem to end up with some fuzz on the hinge line. Dang if I could just see a video on this and or what supplies I should by to make this problem go away.

Some one gave me some peel ply but I gotta imagine its going to do the same thing.

CA Hinge

This is simple but rather time consuming and not very pretty.

Tape Hinge

For Foamies and light park flyers...not carbon winged beauties

Goop/Silicone Hinge

I gave up on this after mixed results..had problems doing it and had problems with surviving landings

Frustrated right now about my limited skills and experience.
c0dem0nkey is offline Find More Posts by c0dem0nkey
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2012, 01:52 PM
Whisper Model Aircraft
Greensburg, PA
Joined Feb 2008
558 Posts
I'm a hinging expert! not really!

Get yourself some 1.7oz kevlar and cut it about 2in wide just about where your hinge will be. If its an aileron start with the cuts on the bottom.

Make on cut down to the kevlar, use a fresh razer blade. I use almost 3 a hinge. Go slow and you will be able to hear/fell when your at the kevlar.

Make another cut behind that toward the TE (gap for down movement). Just cut enough to remove the skin down to foam, etc.

Now you can bend the control surface a bit and mark on top where the hinge is. This is where you want to lightly scratch the kevlar with a file, not to much. Now start to work the control surface back over itself.

Sand the foam away to create the triangle that will allow it to move down. And finally very lightly sand the kevlar where is bening until it moves freely.

hope that helps!
heliwill10 is offline Find More Posts by heliwill10
Old Jan 06, 2012, 01:20 PM
I want it to go fast...
San Diego
Joined Sep 2006
797 Posts
Thank you for the insight heliwill.....sounds like the razor blade cutting part is a developed skill and not something that can be rushed.
c0dem0nkey is offline Find More Posts by c0dem0nkey