Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by PittSpecial, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 10:43 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,001 Posts
Data
GWS SLOW STICK with Brushless Power!

Howdy Fellas!

Just got a new Slow Stick from someone that decided on not going into the RC Airplane hobby and instead decided to go with RC Electric Boats so, he gave me the Slow Stick and my old trusted JR Quattro 4-Channel 72-Mhz.

I had to make some repairs and changed out the Brushless motor and today I was able to maiden it and all systems worked flawlessly!

BP Hobbies A2217-9
Generic 20-AMP Brushless ESC
3-Cell, 1350mAH, 25C, Thunder Power Li-POLY
APC "Slow Flyer" 10 X 7 Propeller
Castle Creations BERG 4-Channel DSP 72-Mhz Receiver

If interested you can see what I did in my Blog:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1566388

Amazing is just not the word I have to use here with this power system I installed on my newest GWS Slow Stick!

It is awesome!!!

Just take a look!

Our Michael Wargo performed the Video capture who is an expert 3D flyer and he himself found my Slow Stick to shine in the many maneuvers I put it through in the short flight!

GWS Slow Stick 46 inch span with BP A2217-9 01-04-2012.wmv (1 min 12 sec)
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2012, 10:45 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,046 Posts
I love doing this to slow sticks I threw a rimfire .10 on a 3s and its stupid fun.
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Well Traveled Glue
Old Jan 08, 2012, 11:08 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,001 Posts
After a session training a young lad of 10 years old with his father, I had a slight crash due to dummy me forgot to extend the freaking 72-Mhz antenna The crashed twice and the 2nd time the vertical stab cracked and fell side-ways. I solved this issue by adding 2/32 balsa rectangles on both sides of the Vertical Stabilizer and carefully "hand" drilled the holes for the pass-through bolts and using a protective clear plastic shield to protect the torque down of the nuts against the entire assembly.

A few pictures....

RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2012, 11:11 PM
Joined Oct 2008
4,046 Posts
Speaking from experience, you may wanna swap out that balsa for some thinner plastic. I had done the same thing and eventually the wood breaks. But the velcro is a great idea!
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Well Traveled Glue
Old Jan 08, 2012, 11:16 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalspark View Post
Speaking from experience, you may wanna swap out that balsa for some thinner plastic. I had done the same thing and eventually the wood breaks. But the velcro is a great idea!
Sorry, I forgot to mention that the two side pieces of 2/32 balsa were glued at the bottom of the Vertical Stab using 5-minute epoxy and the balsa will not go anywhere.

I did not want to use any other material as I did not want to "Add" any significant weight at the tail boom.

My model balances right on the $$$ as it is and if I would have used any other material it would have become tail heavy.

I have used plastic in the past and depending of what kind of plastic and the manner in which it was made the material has a tendency of cracking. Balsa is pretty strong considering it's weight. I cut the balsa in such a manner that it will flex the vertical length and not the other way along the grain.

Thanks anyhow.

Carlos
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2012, 11:20 PM
Joined Oct 2008
4,046 Posts
Awesome!
RCG Plus Member