SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by OmegaRedIsDMan, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 05:54 PM
Joined Jul 2009
152 Posts
Discussion
4G6 upgrade with v120D02S parts - part 2

4G6 upgrade with v120D02S parts - part 2
Over the holidays I took my newly upgraded 4G6 to the field to finally get to test the new receiver out in a large open space. Everything was going fine at first. So I tried flipping it. It was one of my flights of the day. So the flip wasn't very smooth. Right after the flip the heli. started loosing power. Then it was lagging on responding to my inputs and it started going down. I fought it for a couple of seconds and then I decided to hit throttle hold while I was still a few feet off the ground, to prevent damage during the crash. Well that backfired. I saw something white go flying when the heli. hit the grass. When I went to pick it up I noticed one of the blades had broken off at the root. Also the pin holding the main gear had destroyed the part of the gear that was held in place on the main shaft by the pin.

A couple of days later I had the heli back together with the new blades from the V120D02s. While putting it back together I noticed that the cyclic servos were binding at the ends of travel. I also had to replace one of the servos. I adjusted the servo travel to eliminate the binding. Then I swapped out the battery connectors for micro deans. I took the heli up for another hover.
Here is what happened.

4G6 upgraded with V120D02S blades and rx, crash (0 min 31 sec)

Again I hit throttle hold and to try to reduce damage. This time the new blades were fine. However, since they are heavier the force ended up being transfered to the main shaft and the main shaft pin destroyed another main gear. I think I'm going to have to look into making a shear pin that will break away to preserve the main gear. I can really tell the difference in power with the new micro deans connectors. However, the higher head speed seemed to increase the vibrations even more, causing the heli to spin around when in idle up mode.

The next day I had the heli. fixed up again with my last main gear. I had to straighten the flybar by hand since I didn't have anymore spares. This time the flight went without incident. But the heli is still vibrating at high head speed, causing the tail to wag and be unstable. I think it's time to go ahead and convert the head to flybarless so that there are less parts to fix, and less things to balance to eliminate vibrations.
OmegaRedIsDMan is offline Find More Posts by OmegaRedIsDMan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2012, 06:32 PM
Joined Apr 2009
1,574 Posts
Checkout my post on going 4G6 FBL here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1559714

I used some 0-80 screws and nuts from Ace hardware to make the connection from blade grips to control rods.

An aluminum or copper shear pin is the way to go for the main shaft/gear. I get 18 ga aluminum wire at ACE hardware then just enlarge the hole in the main shaft just a little so it will slide in easily. Use a HSS drill bit and go slow by hand. I think I used a #60 or #59 drill bit.

Good Luck, Don
dbennettya is offline Find More Posts by dbennettya
Old Jan 05, 2012, 10:31 AM
Joined Jul 2009
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbennettya View Post
Checkout my post on going 4G6 FBL here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1559714

I used some 0-80 screws and nuts from Ace hardware to make the connection from blade grips to control rods.

An aluminum or copper shear pin is the way to go for the main shaft/gear. I get 18 ga aluminum wire at ACE hardware then just enlarge the hole in the main shaft just a little so it will slide in easily. Use a HSS drill bit and go slow by hand. I think I used a #60 or #59 drill bit.

Good Luck, Don
Thanks for the tips. I think I'll wait until I can make some shear pins before flying this heli again. I'm on my last main gear and its going to be a while before I can order new parts.
OmegaRedIsDMan is offline Find More Posts by OmegaRedIsDMan