HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by brianshell, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 05:46 AM
United States, IA, Johnston
Joined Sep 2009
148 Posts
Thanks foufly, I was just about to order from them too ...close call!
TonicMan is offline Find More Posts by TonicMan
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2012, 09:34 AM
Joined May 2010
297 Posts
To keep the record straight : I have had useful products from RV at reasonable prices ,although other suppliers may be cheaper( Bevrc). If something goes wrong, in my case the osd board and some money taken from my account mysteriously ,you have very little chance of sorting it out, and it will take a lot of threats and pressure. Other people including very active and well-known pilots have questioned this man's business methods and even his integrity.
SO CHECK AFTER-SALES SERVICE FIRST - FPV IS NOT CHEAP!
foufly is offline Find More Posts by foufly
Old Apr 07, 2012, 06:47 PM
Joined Sep 2009
148 Posts
Is there a supplier that you place your order by phone to get some help with componets?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:31 AM
Plane crasher
Joined Jun 2007
395 Posts
Thank you very much, am delighted with your thread
seedo is offline Find More Posts by seedo
Old Apr 13, 2012, 01:43 AM
United Kingdom, Weaverham
Joined Feb 2010
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foufly View Post
I wish I had paid more attention to customers reviews on AFTER-SALES service ,for the different sellers!
I have to lodge a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission ,against Vova Reznik at RANGEVIDEO because of a $300 OSD board sent back ,then "lost" then "sent" (and never received)..after every possible query, email , message, plea ,etc,etc.
BEWARE this supplier has very little respect for his customers!
Im in the Uk and jave placed several orders with range video, everyone was supplied quickly and the gear works perfectley .
wiggysk10 is offline Find More Posts by wiggysk10
Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:24 PM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Jan 2009
3,660 Posts
Same here. Alex will help anyway he can but for Vova he be a little disconcerting (to be polite).
Martin Y is offline Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyfly Fox Glider
Old Apr 13, 2012, 08:24 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2006
3,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonicMan View Post
Is there a supplier that you place your order by phone to get some help with componets?
I know tim at ready made rc is good for answering the phone..
paintz2007 is offline Find More Posts by paintz2007
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:54 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,306 Posts
Future hobbies is also pretty good with phone orders. He's been around since 2005.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:52 PM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,460 Posts
email future hobies and ask a question, I have had problems in the past, maybe he has better service now
see how fast he replies

one thing I would rcommend to everyone is to land is some time seems strange as was before normal, as maybe a conector has become loose or something

I have had problems a few times with the antenna and actual video tx due to vibrations or landings effect range servirly

I also should mention planes that are gliders without ailerons or flaps sometimes can be almost impossable to land if the conditions are nice

i will now not use gliders with out ailerons or flaps as landing can or is very hard to do

i flew a plane today and it was a real chore to get it to land, not fun at all

you would think a glider that flies forever it great but trying to land one is a pita

you got to have some spoilerons or flaps other wise it just does not land even with a high pay load
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:11 AM
Joined Sep 2009
148 Posts
I was wanting a 1280 system, Future Hobby carries one with no mame. That's not making me feel all that good.

Alex, wow dude! I've herd about you on many of thread, watched your videos and herd you on one of my podcast not long ago. You are for sure the first friend of FPV.

Am I going to need ferrited rings on my servos?
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:55 AM
Joined May 2010
297 Posts
To keep to the thread: I wish someone had told me this:- If your eyes ,with age, require magnifiers close and at distance, then the picture in your goggles will be blurred too. BUY SOME CHEAP GLASSES THAT MATCH YOUR MIDDLE AND LONG VIEW AND FIX THEM OVER THE SCREENS ( I removed the arms and tied them in). I at first tried close- up reading specs that were too strong, until I realized that the focus point is 2 plus meters. A cheap enough experiment and a great improvement!
foufly is offline Find More Posts by foufly
Old Apr 18, 2012, 03:58 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by faststick View Post
Very helpful, now if I could only come up with the money to outfit, I'd give it a shot! I've got several platforms, just not the moola!

George
this is a big issue. Easy to get influenced by the low price of components, but to put a complete high quality system together with all the bells and whistles ... easily can cost $4 grand. That is about what I have spent so far to get the kind of system that does everything and is fun to use with a couple planes. However even my first super simple UMX FPV plane really cost about $800 by the time I was flying with it - no OSD, 2.4 radio, and a backpack ground station w goggles.

I think the new generation of truly ready to fly and all in one FPV systems will bring the prices down a lot for newbies, though. Might also bring in the wrong kind of pilots, however. Today I know of nobody in my city of 350k who does FPV - mainly because of the cost barrier/uncertainties of building the system. I belong to an FPV club of 1 member.
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:11 PM
..in a Johnny Cash voice.
Canada, NS, Beaver Bank
Joined Aug 2010
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
Today I know of nobody in my city of 350k who does FPV - mainly because of the cost barrier/uncertainties of building the system. I belong to an FPV club of 1 member.
Same here. Good words on the rank amateur buy-ins also.
FPV-NS has one member btw
Vintabilly_NS is offline Find More Posts by Vintabilly_NS
Old May 03, 2012, 04:02 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianshell View Post
----------------------
Lesson 7) A little understanding of RF theory goes a long way. Thank heavens I came into this with tons of ham radio experience, so I understood simple concepts like why you don't want to run a transmitter without an antenna, why the orientation of the antenna matters so much, or why 500mw on 5.8ghz is less effective than 200mw on 900mhz. Get your ham radio license and really understand what's in the test rather than just memorizing the Q&A.

A side note on this. My first real deal FPV flight with my new video transmitter from Range Video resulted in a crash. I knew which 10 acre field it was in, but the grass was over my head in some places. I used a little RF knowledge to find it.

I had a whip on my video Rx. I drove to the edge of the field and pointed my Video Tx whip out horizontally and did a few turns. My aircraft was in the direction of where I was pointing when the video dropped out due to the null.

It made the difference between getting the airplane back in 30 mins with a good battery and getting it back after days of searching.
BushmanLA is online now Find More Posts by BushmanLA
Old Jun 18, 2012, 09:52 AM
Joined Jan 2011
8 Posts
1st Lessons Learned

Just wanted to share my lesson in humbleness I learned this weekend.

It was to be the great moment of my 1st FPV flight. At home everything was checked and seemd ok. Off to the field I went.
Nice there are about 10 other Pilots (being the only one with FPV stuff I'm bound to have public). But why is no one but our 3D ace flying? The wind surely isn't that strong is it.

1st a normal flight to find out how my Parkzone Trojan handles the extra weight.
At 3/4 gas I make a groundspeed of 25kmh into the wind. Seems stronger than I thought. But so far so good the Trojan handles the weight and wind without problems. It’s just a little more turbulent.

Second Flight osd stuff switched on and waited for Satellite lock, set home position and after a normal visual Takeoff my son keeps the goggles and reports, picture quality, power etc etc. But after just 5 minutes he tells me to land because we are about to reach 2000 of the 2200 mAh. After landing I check and see we’re using 1A extra due to the FPV stuff and I’m flying with more throttle due to the wind. So I reset the flight timer on my TX to 5min.

3rd Flight, osd check, video check, satellite check, home pos check. Took of Visual and then switched to goggles. My son is spotting the plane. Up I go. 1st problem I can see no Horizon when I gain height so I lose orientation. Continue to climb slowly to 100m and ask my son where I am and regain orientation. It sure looks different from above. I make a few circles around the field and loose orientation just once more my son tells me I’m to the left of the field (note to myself: that is down wind). He says you sure are pretty far away already (approx. 500m I think) I turn towards home and lose video for a second. Next picture I’m upside down. Struggle to get upright have to turn as I’m flying away from home now. Then losing video & trying to regain control happen 2 or 3 times more before I realize I’m not going to regain RC control and the video disappears not to be regained.

The ever so helpful other pilots tell me with a grin “son I think you’ve just lost a plane” Like I would have missed that.

Somewhere behind the neighboring farm behind the golf yard near the 2nd tree row they lost sight. A quick look on the map tells me that that might be any of many tree areas between 1 and 2km away. Most likely the hill with trees after the village that is near the golf. So we pack our gear together and drive off.

At the end of the village I turn right uphill and stop after 200m time to check if we have video. Nothing. My son tells me to give him the antenna and goggles so he can look for video will I drive. I turn and try the other end of the village. With just 3 roads you haven’t much to choose from. Whilst just about 500m away from our last stop he yells I see a lawn, I got video. We park the car and take a look with the directional antenna. That wasn’t used whilst flying Then while I am wondering why I am receiving a picture in any direction a friendly lady walks down from the house we’re parked in front of. Are you looking for a plane? And it turns out to be in the field next to us, we’re merely 50m away. Nose broken (again) and the video antenna bent but further no damage. Thanks to Parkzone for the wonderful flight characteristics of the Trojan.

Google maps told me we are around 1.400 meters away and 48m below from home position.

Lessons Learned:
• If the conditions are less then optimal go home (important one if you plan to get home with your plane)
• Study the terrain with google earth and several nearby test flights.
• Practice the communication with your spotter. Where am I when he says “left of the field”??
• Setup your groundstation on a reasonable stand to improve range
• If you have a double receiver CONNECT the directional antenna and teach your spotter how to use it (or get a tracker).
• Don’t fly downwind of your own position, I was doing 115kmh downwind I found out. So just 30 seconds or so brought me out of RC range.
• Make sure you can see the horizon when you climb.
• Be realistic I’m not a pro (yet) I’m still learning.

No one got hurt, the plane will fly again.
I guess I learned a lot the hardway.

To be continued
hjboven is offline Find More Posts by hjboven
Last edited by hjboven; Jun 21, 2012 at 02:59 AM.