HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by brianshell, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 06:14 PM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Lon
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheCrash View Post
...of course if you were responsible for any damage you'd do the decent grown-up thing and own up, wouldn't you? Or best not to put yourself in that situation in the first place

Actually I think even if you fly over houses it's pretty hard to land on something you can break or hurt anyway.
You dont have to be flying directly over houses to cause it. If your flying a plane and your near houses for example then its possible that the plane would land on someones property. The moral thing is to own up to it yes but would you honestly do it when it could financially ruin you as no sort of insurance would cover something like that.

If you had a phone number on your plane and didnt see where it crashed you just know it will be in the back of your mind for a number of days just hoping it didnt cause any damage to someone or property.

I guess it depends if you knew if you were doing something stupid in the first place or not so I guess if your a good FPV'er that flys only in wide open fields you have nothing to worry about!
malcr001 is offline Find More Posts by malcr001
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2012, 06:33 PM
'scuse me while I kiss the sky
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
IMHO, we should all respect the pleasures this hobby provides and make a conscious effort not to ruin it for others.
Now, I am sure that anyone can find interesting challenges and obstacles to conquer other than in populated areas!
Which brings me to: Is there ever going to be some sort of sanctioned competition for obstacle course fpv flying?
The Red Bull of FPV.
Wouldn't that be cool?

In any case, when you screw up, stand like a man an earn up.
Accidents happen, and sometime out of our control, loss of signal, plane flies in town...Still our responsability. So let's do all we can to look good and enjoy this great hobby, and make it more popular than frowned at.

The Red bull of FPV? I AM IN!!!
Lafayette is offline Find More Posts by Lafayette
Old Jan 19, 2012, 09:23 PM
I think it'll work this time!!
399 feet above Roanoke, VA
Joined Jan 2007
3,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafayette View Post

In any case, when you screw up, stand like a man an earn up.
Here, here! Like the sign says, "You break it, you bought it."
Chairwolf is online now Find More Posts by Chairwolf
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:41 PM
FPV Browncoat
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Mar 2011
1,470 Posts
One thing to keep in mind, even if your plane does crash and damage something, they'd still need to prove in court that you did something negligent to cause the crash in order to "financially ruin you" as someone put it. That's generally judged by what a reasonably prudent person would do in similar circumstances. If you weren't flying in a particularly dangerous manner and something just happened, you might not be found liable for negligence. Of course, liability for FPV crashes is a totally untested area of the law, so who knows what a court would consider reasonable or not reasonable. FPV itself could be considered unreasonable or inherently dangerous, so who knows.
prelator is offline Find More Posts by prelator
Old Jan 22, 2012, 06:26 PM
Bill
United States, NE, La Vista
Joined Jul 2007
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelator View Post
One thing to keep in mind, even if your plane does crash and damage something, they'd still need to prove in court that you did something negligent to cause the crash in order to "financially ruin you" as someone put it. That's generally judged by what a reasonably prudent person would do in similar circumstances. If you weren't flying in a particularly dangerous manner and something just happened, you might not be found liable for negligence. Of course, liability for FPV crashes is a totally untested area of the law, so who knows what a court would consider reasonable or not reasonable. FPV itself could be considered unreasonable or inherently dangerous, so who knows.
If you didn't follow the AMA, FAA, NTSB, Homeland Security, State or local ordinances, you WOULD be found negligent. Voice of experience. I was the one hit by a .60 size pattern ship. The jury will be asked the question, what if your child were the one hit?
HiFlyer371 is offline Find More Posts by HiFlyer371
Last edited by HiFlyer371; Jan 23, 2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 07:15 AM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,969 Posts
1) the AMA is an insurance agency (and magazine & plan publisher)
2) currently the FAA does not regulate what they term hobby aircraft
3) the NTSB does not have anything to do with hobby aircraft
4) Law Enforcement agencies have nothing against hobby aircraft, however regardless of what any law said enforcement agents want to drum up to dissuade you. you SHOULD aby by whatever they ask you to do. (Fight the popo in the courts, not real life. theyll crap down your neck)

yes, local municipalities can make their own laws about hobby aircraft (tho i know of no state or federal regulation against them)

so... youll have to try a little harder to make a case against model aircraft.

currently about the only thing you can do ILLEGAL with hobby stuff is the obvious crap. harassment/intimidation, WILLFUL destruction of property, attempted/assault homicide.
or be found in violation of the FCC for our electronic equipment.

frankly.... you'd never convince a jury of being negligent. no prosecurter in the country knows squat about the subject, would waste time & money calling expert wittnesses & virtually any newbie in the hobby could simply claim "oops. unforseen system failure".
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Last edited by Toysrme; Jan 24, 2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 04:19 PM
Bill
Joined Jul 2007
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toysrme View Post
1) the AMA is an insurance agency (and magazine & plan publisher)
2) currently the FAA does not regulate what they term hobby aircraft
3) the NTSB does not have anything to do with hobby aircraft
4) Law Enforcement agencies have nothing against hobby aircraft, however regardless of what any law said enforcement agents want to drum up to dissuade you. you SHOULD aby by whatever they ask you to do. (Fight the popo in the courts, not real life. theyll crap down your neck)

yes, local municipalities can make their own laws about hobby aircraft (tho i know of no state or federal regulation against them)

so... youll have to try a little harder to make a case against model aircraft.

currently about the only thing you can do ILLEGAL with hobby stuff is the obvious crap. harassment/intimidation, WILLFUL destruction of property, attempted/assault homicide.
or be found in violation of the FCC for our electronic equipment.

frankly.... you'd never convince a jury of being negligent. no prosecurter in the country knows squat about the subject, would waste time & money calling expert wittnesses & virtually any newbie in the hobby could simply claim "oops. unforseen system failure".

My comment was in regard to negligence and only negligence, not what is legal or not. A prosecutor would be appointed for a criminal offence. Property damage or personnel injury would be in a civil court with lawyers for the injured party and the defense. Civil trials require much less proof than legal trials, just ask OJ. I love flying, all types of flying. I've been flying single engine aircraft and balloons for more than 40 years. I've been flying R/C for almost as long. Back in 1980 the guy that hit me with his model plane was found negligent and had to pay all my medical bills. If I hadn't been in the Air Force he would also have had to pay my lost wages. In the event of a Model Aircraft injury, at the trial, EXPERT witnesses would be called to give OPINIONS. The agencies I listed could be among those called. Back in the 1970's an R/C pilot lost control of his plane and it injured a little girl badly. Real big news back then. The pilot had homeowners insurance but they declined to cover his expenses. The AMA paid part of his legal expenses but also declined to pay the $750,000 jury judgment because he was found guilty of GROSS negligence. He was flying in a vacate field about 100 yards from a housing development (not an approved flying site). If you're flying FPV beyond Line of Sight and you lose control and your aircraft causing injury, you will be found negligent. Most likely gross negligence for failing to follow manufactures printed warnings.
Last month in Colorado a young woman walked into the propeller of an aircraft that was just sitting there with its motor idling. The lawyers on both sides are circling their wagons and the case will go on for years. Seven years ago I lost 3 friends in a helicopter accident. Guess what, $4M awarded so far but it's not over yet. The simple test for negligence is, "was EVERYTHING possible done to prevent this accident?" Could you have flown somewhere else or done something different? I carry a 1 million dollar umbrella policy and have it in writing that ALL my flying activities are included. I'm covered for SIMPLE Negligence but not GROSS Negligence. Read the consumer warnings that come with your equipment. Look at the warnings that come on a ladder! Can you guess why they are there? Yep, lawyers out to make a buck and juries "feeling" the pain of the injured.
BTW, When a model aircraft collides with a full size aircraft, the R/C pilot is always wrong, at fault, Grossly Negligent and up the creek without a paddle!
Last edited by HiFlyer371; Jan 25, 2012 at 05:20 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 09:03 PM
CEL abuser
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Dec 2010
392 Posts
Lawyers have made common sense an endangered species in the united states.
pr0ject42 is offline Find More Posts by pr0ject42
Old Jan 26, 2012, 04:25 PM View Post
Toysrme
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Personal Attack. Show it to me anyway.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 04:08 AM
Bill
Joined Jul 2007
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toysrme View Post
you sound like a panzy. as a teen i took a .60 sized trainer in my side that got in a big crosswind, crossed the flight line WOT into the pilot boxes and shrugged it off
Did you have a broken ankle and a concussion? Spend 4 days in the hospital?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:42 AM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Maitland
Joined Apr 2011
2,109 Posts
I know a woman that was awarded $4mil US for trying to sip coffee through her nose. it was too hot and burned her.

She spent 4 days in the hospital with a broken ankle.
chatch15117 is offline Find More Posts by chatch15117
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:19 AM
Bill
Joined Jul 2007
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatch15117 View Post
I know a woman that was awarded $4mil US for trying to sip coffee through her nose. it was too hot and burned her.

She spent 4 days in the hospital with a broken ankle.
I think I heard about that in the news.
She was bicycling across the Grand Canyon on a tight rope while flying a Sky Surfer and video taping herself (FPV). She stopped in the middle where her husband (in the Goodyear Blimp) gave her the cup of coffee that he had just bought from MacD's.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 06:40 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2006
3,332 Posts
..and i have to tell people about anti-tip brackets on every stove that i deliver to them..

I usually say unless you are prone to dancing on the oven door you should be ok without it.
paintz2007 is offline Find More Posts by paintz2007
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:43 PM
I Like Popcorn
UK, Greater London, London
Joined Oct 2009
2,024 Posts
I'm a bit late to this thread but one thing I should have paid more attention to while getting in to FPV would be having a better master plan with regards smuggling things in to the house past the Mrs!

I'm sure its been said before...

flylite is offline Find More Posts by flylite
Old Feb 10, 2012, 08:25 PM
Bill
Joined Jul 2007
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylite View Post
I'm a bit late to this thread but one thing I should have paid more attention to while getting in to FPV would be having a better master plan with regards smuggling things in to the house past the Mrs!

I'm sure its been said before...

RCGroups needs a "LIKE" button!