HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by brianshell, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 07:42 AM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzdecat View Post
it wasn't earlier capiche?
i don't mean to be a nit picker, or to split hairs, and i don't care really, lol, but it was sticky'd by the time you posted. you prolly already had the page open tho, no biggie
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2012, 08:06 AM
Smoke me a Kipper
Cedar Grove North Carolina
Joined Oct 2006
1,214 Posts
I don't care either
fritzdecat is offline Find More Posts by fritzdecat
Old Jan 14, 2012, 09:01 AM
I think it'll work this time!!
399 feet above Roanoke, VA
Joined Jan 2007
3,461 Posts
Great stuff, Brian!

I love the KISS approach. I was testing one of IBCrazy's antennas that I had made for my video transmitter about a month ago. I rigged up my FPV pod and put it on my deck to transmit, and I needed to do a quick-and-dirty range test. So I grabbed a VRX, stuck a rubber ducky antenna on it, hooked it up to a little monitor I had handy, and carried it down the street in my hands.

About half way down the street, the LIGHT WENT ON!!!! And presto, I realized that I was carrying all I really needed for a simple ground station. Since then, I've made a new antenna for it (Thanks, Alex!) and put the little kit into a bag that I take to the field.

So YES, KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Thanks for distilling so much about FPV into this handy little list. It's great!

Bob
Chairwolf is offline Find More Posts by Chairwolf
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:16 AM
TREX 450 FPV Holy Grail
Central Texas
Joined Apr 2009
437 Posts
I second all of these lessons! I've been through basically all of the myths and learning process they speak to. I wish that this was the first set of pointers I'd encountered as I started FPV 3 years ago. And I should have come back and re-read it periodically. Whether this is a sticky or incorporated at the top of a "getting started" thread we owe it to newbies to get this information in front of them.

-Sia
sia100 is offline Find More Posts by sia100
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:56 PM
^Its what I do^ - FPVholic
USA, MO, Slater Flying Club
Joined Nov 2007
269 Posts
Humility is everything. Being humble means knowing your limitations and admitting your lack of knowledge. Then, people WILL help and are glad to.

Great sticky
The Flying Farmer is online now Find More Posts by The Flying Farmer
Old Jan 16, 2012, 06:07 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2006
3,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairwolf View Post
Great stuff, Brian!

I love the KISS approach. I was testing one of IBCrazy's antennas that I had made for my video transmitter about a month ago. I rigged up my FPV pod and put it on my deck to transmit, and I needed to do a quick-and-dirty range test. So I grabbed a VRX, stuck a rubber ducky antenna on it, hooked it up to a little monitor I had handy, and carried it down the street in my hands.

About half way down the street, the LIGHT WENT ON!!!! And presto, I realized that I was carrying all I really needed for a simple ground station. Since then, I've made a new antenna for it (Thanks, Alex!) and put the little kit into a bag that I take to the field.

So YES, KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Thanks for distilling so much about FPV into this handy little list. It's great!

Bob
nice! i have a question does your range get effected any by being carried around? and being near your tx? i am thinking of putting mine on my tx tray

also is that a prism tv? i just picked one up at cvs for dirt cheap used it a couple day ago for the first time, seemed to work good, may need a hood though
paintz2007 is offline Find More Posts by paintz2007
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 16, 2012, 06:28 PM
I think it'll work this time!!
399 feet above Roanoke, VA
Joined Jan 2007
3,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintz2007 View Post
nice! i have a question does your range get effected any by being carried around? and being near your tx? i am thinking of putting mine on my tx tray

also is that a prism tv? i just picked one up at cvs for dirt cheap used it a couple day ago for the first time, seemed to work good, may need a hood though
Well, so far I've only tested this system once due to my schedule and the cold/windy/rainy weather we've had lately. But to answer your questions,

Range - According to Google Earth, and my video, I've had this out to a good 2000 feet with great video performance. As far as it being carried around, I think it's an advantage so far, because if I feel I need to move the antenna, all I have to do is adjust the direction I'm facing.

My RC system is 2.4, and my video system is 900mhz, so I am not aware of any issues with the rx being close to my tx. Again, I've only flown it one time so far, but I've not heard of anyone having a problem with that.

Yes, that's a Prism tv. My video goes from (1) my VRX to (2) my Aiptek MPVR to (3) the tv, which gives me good static and only goes to "blue screen" if the whole thing loses signal. When testing this system, I noticed that the Prism went to blue screen when the Aiptek went to static. So I figured I'd feed the tv from the Aiptek for better low-signal performance. It's working GREAT so far!

If you look closely, you can see that I threw a little black foam in my ground station pack to give me a little bit of a hood. I have not flown this in direct sunlight, so I don't know how it will perform yet. The theory is that with the Skew Planar Wheel antenna being as great as its reputation, I should be able to move my position around so the sun doesn't bother me too much while still keeping a great signal. The SPW antenna's reputation is THAT GOOD, so I'm banking on it delivering on it! I'm also toying with the idea of putting the antenna and the VRX up on a mast for even better reception and range, but we'll see if that's necessary first.

Hope this answers your questions!

Can you tell us about your system?

Bob
Chairwolf is offline Find More Posts by Chairwolf
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:58 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2006
3,332 Posts
yes i can.

Basically a stock 900/500 system from range video, with their dipole antennae on both sides. A Futaba 9c on 72mhz with a 3rd joystick for pan and tilt. Basically im still at the KISS stage that this thread talks about. I usually fly at about a half mile max but most of my stuff is just buzzing around overhead.

On the rx side i have a dual output rx that goes to the screen or goggles depending but im liking the screen betteras i feel less reliant on the video if something goes wrong. on the other output it goes to a roxio easy vhs to dvd capture card and into my laptop. i did some testing in my apartment with the video signal and the tv seemed like when it went to bluescreen it recovered quick enough, but then again i dont push my range to really worry about it. i can usually turn the plane to get better reception.
paintz2007 is offline Find More Posts by paintz2007
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:56 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamnitpete View Post
good find. that's what i've been thinking as well. you could tweak on the contrast, hue & saturation & probably come out with very similar results on about anything that works ok.
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:10 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
at the end of the day, they are all SD transmissions, haha.

that said i do really enjoy the extra image quality of 5.8. It's really subtle, but noticable.

doesn't stop me from flying 900 on my apprentice tho, lol
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Jan 19, 2012, 01:26 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Dec 2011
548 Posts
Such a grate post thx
Artful Owl is offline Find More Posts by Artful Owl
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2012, 03:23 PM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,358 Posts
11. Put your phone number on your plane.
MikeTheCrash is online now Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Jan 19, 2012, 04:22 PM
'scuse me while I kiss the sky
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
•Video Format - NTSC
•Camera - GoPro HD Cable Only (no camera)
•Video Transmitter - 900MHz 1500mW Transmitter
•Receiver - Standard Receiver w/SAW Filter Upgraded
•TX Antenna - 2dBi 900MHz
•RX Antenna - 8dBi 900MHz Patch
•Video Goggles - None
•Batteries - 460mAh RMRC Batteries for TX and RX
•OSD - None

$283

Is this good for a first time setup? w/skysurfer stock?(engine and all)
Do I need anything else?
What range can i expect?

Is it ok to fly with the gopro as fpv camera or is it going to be scary???
Any input welcome. I want to keep it simple.Got the gopro already. Dollars and sense!
Also can a I use easycap and my laptop and get a decent image as my fpv viewing decice?
Lafayette is offline Find More Posts by Lafayette
Old Jan 19, 2012, 05:39 PM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Lon
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheCrash View Post
11. Put your phone number on your plane.
There are advantages and disadvantages to this:
Pro:
People can contact you if someone ever finds it

Con:
If your plane etc happened to loose signal and crash into something causing damage to propety or even injury to someone would you want your phone number on there then? Probably not as your opening a whole can of worms.

If your flying in the middle of no-where then I guess put your phone number on.
malcr001 is offline Find More Posts by malcr001
Old Jan 19, 2012, 06:03 PM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,358 Posts
...of course if you were responsible for any damage you'd do the decent grown-up thing and own up, wouldn't you? Or best not to put yourself in that situation in the first place

Actually I think even if you fly over houses it's pretty hard to land on something you can break or hurt anyway.
MikeTheCrash is online now Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash