HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by brianshell, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:44 AM
United States, MN, South St Paul
Joined Dec 2011
550 Posts
Alex,

Very true, that is why i figured if i can get 1+mi out of it i woudl be lucky, i just thought it was interesting that they can get 6mi out of it at all.
Saqueeb is offline Find More Posts by Saqueeb
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:09 AM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCoen View Post
I emailed Hitec yesterday to ask them what the range was on their A9 and Oprima Rx's. Mike M. from Hitec responded with:

"Dave,

A recent independent test showed our system to have over 50% more range than our closest competitor… up to 6 miles with unobstructed line of sight!"

so if i can get 1-2 miles out of it i will be thrilled!
Like Alex said....maybe in a perfect world. If you are flying an airplane or quad, without the ability (RTH) to fly home you want to keep it closer than a mile.

Here is a perfect example.

When I was first getting into FPV I installed a simple FPV setup on my Sons EasyStar which is equiped with a Spektrum full range Rx. I was using a 200 Mw 900 Mhz Tx with the antenna on the tail of the aircraft. On the first flight, at no more than 300 yards the Rx locked out for just a second or two. I was still flying LOS so this wasn't that big of a deal but was a sign of things to come. The second flight, which I should have never made, I started LOS but quickly switched to flying FPV via my screen. I was about 500 yards out when I lost complete control of the aircraft. Being I was flying a EasyStar I had time to look up from the screen and hold the Tx above my head in an attempt to regain control. I had the failsafe set for the aircraft to circle which it did, right into a lake.

I went to recover the model which was only about 30 ft from the shore so I figured rolling up my pants would be good enough to not get wet. Well, not really. Only 10 ft from the shore the bottom droped out and the water was over my head (I'm 6'7") so I swam to get the thing. Soaking wet I called for a ride.

So, as many experianced FPV guys will tell you, if you plan on flying anywhere near a mile get a UHF system. It will be the best money you ever spend considering how much good FPV gear costs AND keeping you and everyone (public) safe from uncontrolled aircraft.
Mike Freas is offline Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:04 PM
Un Registered User
Canada, BC, Chilliwack
Joined Feb 2013
176 Posts
Great thread man! I am just getting into FPV as well
Doodie is offline Find More Posts by Doodie
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:04 PM
Joined Dec 2011
550 Posts
thanks for all the help guys, i have my 1.2 system on order, storm osd, camera, etc....and i'm looking to take my Technicians test this saturday. then i need to look into a UHF system.

I figured with the RTH on the Storm OSD i could get away with out the UHF right at the moment and then add that in a month or so.

Can you guys recommend a UHF system? i have looked at dragon link, and EZUHF. i am using an Aurora 9 Hitec TX will both of these work with my TX? Any distinct advantage to one over the other?

thanks
dave
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:15 PM
KK4NOP
Joined Aug 2005
3,387 Posts
Quote:
thanks for all the help guys, i have my 1.2 system on order, storm osd, camera, etc....and i'm looking to take my Technicians test this saturday. then i need to look into a UHF system.

I figured with the RTH on the Storm OSD i could get away with out the UHF right at the moment and then add that in a month or so.

Can you guys recommend a UHF system? i have looked at dragon link, and EZUHF. i am using an Aurora 9 Hitec TX will both of these work with my TX? Any distinct advantage to one over the other?

thanks
dave
Both UHF systems are good but I like the DL over the Ez based on support of the product. I also have a A9 and it is a plug and play setup.

Highly caution you in relying on the RTH to bring the bird back in case of loss of radio. Flying a airplane you will very quickly reach the limit of the A9.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:58 PM
Joined Dec 2011
550 Posts
i am not planing on using the Hitec system outsice of Visual LOS. i am going to start slow and just use a screen to get a feel for this while i build my HMD.

i believe i should still have plenty of controll so long as i can see the airplan withthe naked eye, I would think ( or my spotter can see it with the naked eye). does this sound correct?

i am running a 1.2ghz Vtx/Vrx. with a low pass filter on the Vtx.

i dont plan on flying past V-LOS until i have a UHF system.

i am planning on using this time to get a good feal for things before going past V-LOS, and as an oppertunity to get my OSD/RTH configured propperly.

thoughts?

thanks for all the help guys.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:14 PM
KK4NOP
Joined Aug 2005
3,387 Posts
Quote:
i am not planing on using the Hitec system outsice of Visual LOS. i am going to start slow and just use a screen to get a feel for this while i build my HMD.

i believe i should still have plenty of controll so long as i can see the airplan withthe naked eye, I would think ( or my spotter can see it with the naked eye). does this sound correct?

i am running a 1.2ghz Vtx/Vrx. with a low pass filter on the Vtx.

i dont plan on flying past V-LOS until i have a UHF system.

i am planning on using this time to get a good feal for things before going past V-LOS, and as an oppertunity to get my OSD/RTH configured propperly.

thoughts?

thanks for all the help guys.
2.4 is plenty enough for LOS flying. The challenge and excitement of distance is addicting. Proceed with caution.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:48 PM
Joined Dec 2011
550 Posts
thak you thats what i though tbu tit is good to have some confirmation.

i assume it is ideal to mount the Vtx and RC rx as far from each other as possible.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:40 AM
FPV FTW!!
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Oct 2011
651 Posts
I would highly recommend to go with a UHF system even if you don't plan on flying a mile out. The reason is this: it will provide you far more reliability than any 2.4ghz, 72mhz, etc ever will. Whether you fly close in or far away, you will have total control. I've been flying Dragon Link for a couple years now, never had any issue with a lock out or loss of control. It also doesn't interfere with my video freq. And if you think you're going to be a close in, park flying fpver, you're wrong. Eventually you're going to want to push those boundries a little and if you start pushing boundries with anything but a UHF system, your taking a major gamble. Park flying FPV can be fun, but its a lot more fun to be able to go in a straight line for miles rather than having to turn every couple hundred meters.

Also, get a good RTH system, it will save you A LOT of time and money.
Rexnoobs247 is offline Find More Posts by Rexnoobs247
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:42 PM
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Oct 2011
552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexnoobs247 View Post
Also, get a good RTH system, it will save you A LOT of time and money.
What do you suggest for a good RTH system?
scottieusa is offline Find More Posts by scottieusa
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:00 AM
Joined Dec 2011
550 Posts
I am using a storm osd with Rth
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:04 AM
Australia, NSW, Springwood
Joined Dec 2012
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottieusa View Post
If you want a cheap plug 'n play kit, check out both the Cyclops Storm and Arkbird OSD. I wrote up my comparison of the two on the Arkbird OSD thread, post #47.
ZaksterBlue is offline Find More Posts by ZaksterBlue
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:05 PM
Joined Oct 2011
927 Posts
Know for sure what power loads you're feeding to your camera, VTX, OSD spagetti.

Understand that no, you cannot just "test a circuit for a second" to see it it's OK. Unless you're lost in the woods and want to send smoke signals.

Google, google, google. RTFM. Read the customer comments for products at vendor sites. Find a thread about your new device. Allow yourself to learn from other people's experience. Take your time. Go slowly. Know for sure.

If you have any doubts about the integrity of your soldering job, the soldering job is bad. Cut the cables and re-do it. I actually haven't had to learn this one via FPV, but it's a good rule.

No, you cannot just start flying via a VDT or goggles because "you know your plane", or "you know your terrain". You have to learn orientation all over again. Flying towards yourself over familiar terrain via FPV, your muscle memory will give reverse stick, as if you were eyeballing it. It takes time to develop dual skills.
syzygyQ is offline Find More Posts by syzygyQ
Old Feb 25, 2013, 06:12 PM
FPV FTW!!
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Oct 2011
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottieusa View Post
I use Dragon OSD along with my Dragon Link UHF system. I have hundreds of hours (flight time) on that system and I haven't had any problems (other than ones that were caused by my own ignorance ) I had it mounted in a sky surfer, and currently its mounted in a CTH Deep Reaper, and it works very well. Wings are hard for a lot of AP's to control without an IMU attached, but the DOSD does a good job of bringing her back if I get into a hairy situation.

It is a bit more expensive than other more simple osd's, but its definitely worth the investment.
Rexnoobs247 is offline Find More Posts by Rexnoobs247
Old Mar 01, 2013, 05:23 PM
Joined Feb 2013
1 Posts
Glad of the 10 lessons...signed up, logged on and scared myself silly with the amount that I am going to have to learn. Thought big and have now scaled back. Great forum and jolly good advice with a friendly tone.
Worthawiggles is offline Find More Posts by Worthawiggles