Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by brianshell, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:56 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffleman View Post
I am curious. Why does 5.8ghz equipment cost more than say 900mhz or 1.2ghz equipment? Seems wierd to me.
Are you kidding? Is the lowest cost way to have a good FPS equipment, $50 for a 20km setup, is this much ?
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:20 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,977 Posts
Just posting my thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
* Execute 5 perfect FPV landings, on a specific spot.
* Fly a course round certain lamp stands/goal posts/whatever.
* Fly as far as your spotter can see (perhaps 300m if they are good) - do this 3 times, reward yourself with an OSD.
* Fly in formation without losing sight of the other aircraft, through an agreed route (if you have a friend), do this for 3 battery charges returning safely each, reward yourself with a head tracker
* Fly 1km away and safely return
* Fly 2km away and safely return
* Find a landmark on google earth at least 1km away. Safely navigate to it, and back or via another landmark without using your OSD's home indicator.
* Fly until you start seeing static and safely return.. reward yourself with a better antenna.
* Fly again until you start seeing static and safely return.. reward yourself with a diversity.
I'll have to save this.

I've been googling FPV turorials, preparing for my quad build, but most don't actually teach you how to fly. Most are focused on explaining the electronics and build logs, but i only get bits and pieces on how to actually pilot.

I suppose in helicopter terms, these are mostly people explaining helicopter theory, and peoples build videos for their T-rex's. There doesn't seem to be much of anything on how to actually pilot FPV. There are a lot of tutorials on how to fly helicopters and they're so detailed they're usually spread across several articles or videos, and they're staggered in such a way that you get minimal damage from mistakes as long as you follow their training regime and not suddenly fly off randomly (Two weeks of hover practice si boring but it's better than flying off and crashing). MikeysRC and helicoptersarefun are probably the most famous.

The most obvious training for someone coming from a helicopter background, is to redo those helicopter exercises in first person. But most of those are meant to teach you to fly in *third* person. Ascended's post, even tho he probably just wrote it off the top of his head, is probably the first training regime i've come across that's specifically for FPV. And i will be doing them. Most FPV build videos end with the guy flying off with the plane/quad, there's nothing else after that. But Ascended's the first one that suggested making a flight plan on google earth, which now is pretty obvious.

Maybe someone can use this and make a how to fly FPV video series?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754657

Quote:
1. Controlling the Aircraft
- Turns
- Climbs
- Descents
- Loops
- Recover from unusual attitudes
- Take-off
- Landings

2. Navigation.
- Camera work
- Recognizing checkpoints on the ground
- Position keeping over an area
- Navigating to a specified point
- Finding his way home
These are things that would probably help a newcomer and probably a few more. Google gives tons of info on hardware, not much on how to use it.

It'll be a couple of months before i put together my FPV gear (Quad->FPV->Telemetry) so i'm not even a newcomer yet, i'm just researching right now while i get a shopping list together So i've got time to gather all the little hints from all those FPV builds when i finally get the gear.

/thoughts
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:29 AM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
Just posting my thoughts

I'll have to save this.

I've been googling FPV turorials, preparing for my quad build, but most don't actually teach you how to fly. Most are focused on explaining the electronics and build logs, but i only get bits and pieces on how to actually pilot.

I suppose in helicopter terms, these are mostly people explaining helicopter theory, and peoples build videos for their T-rex's. There doesn't seem to be much of anything on how to actually pilot FPV. There are a lot of tutorials on how to fly helicopters and they're so detailed they're usually spread across several articles or videos, and they're staggered in such a way that you get minimal damage from mistakes as long as you follow their training regime and not suddenly fly off randomly (Two weeks of hover practice si boring but it's better than flying off and crashing). MikeysRC and helicoptersarefun are probably the most famous.

The most obvious training for someone coming from a helicopter background, is to redo those helicopter exercises in first person. But most of those are meant to teach you to fly in *third* person. Ascended's post, even tho he probably just wrote it off the top of his head, is probably the first training regime i've come across that's specifically for FPV. And i will be doing them. Most FPV build videos end with the guy flying off with the plane/quad, there's nothing else after that. But Ascended's the first one that suggested making a flight plan on google earth, which now is pretty obvious.

Maybe someone can use this and make a how to fly FPV video series?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754657

These are things that would probably help a newcomer and probably a few more. Google gives tons of info on hardware, not much on how to use it.

It'll be a couple of months before i put together my FPV gear (Quad->FPV->Telemetry) so i'm not even a newcomer yet, i'm just researching right now while i get a shopping list together So i've got time to gather all the little hints from all those FPV builds when i finally get the gear.

/thoughts
Working on a quad at the moment. I could document it in a thread.
scrtsqrl is offline Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:53 PM
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2012
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairwolf View Post
Great stuff, Brian!

I love the KISS approach. I was testing one of IBCrazy's antennas that I had made for my video transmitter about a month ago. I rigged up my FPV pod and put it on my deck to transmit, and I needed to do a quick-and-dirty range test. So I grabbed a VRX, stuck a rubber ducky antenna on it, hooked it up to a little monitor I had handy, and carried it down the street in my hands.

About half way down the street, the LIGHT WENT ON!!!! And presto, I realized that I was carrying all I really needed for a simple ground station. Since then, I've made a new antenna for it (Thanks, Alex!) and put the little kit into a bag that I take to the field.

So YES, KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Thanks for distilling so much about FPV into this handy little list. It's great!

Bob
i see a 2.4 booster !
quadcopter007fpv is offline Find More Posts by quadcopter007fpv
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:45 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
I put my X wifes phone number on mine.
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:15 PM
Australia, SA, Modbury North
Joined Feb 2012
1,139 Posts
Hey guys, I've recently taken the plunge and ordered a skywalker 1680 and am looking to get into a full fpv setup over the coming months. One thing I've picked up from this thread in various posts that alarms me somewhat us the misconception that because the airframes are foam, and don't travel overly fast, that they can't cause much damage!

I'll tell you a little story from first hand experience...
I was flying at a local park about a year ago with a few mates. A bloke came up and had a chat to us as his ortistic son he had along with him was mesmerised by the planes. Obviously we had a good chat with him and did some low passes for the kid. I just touched down on the footpath with my parkzone spitty, doing maybe 25-30kph? This kid jumped out in front of it as I was rolling down the path! I jumped in front of him and dug my heel into the ground and tried to stop the plane with the ball of my foot. I wasn't quite fast enough and the leading edge just cleared my toes and hit me in the shin. It was a bit more painful that I would have thought, seeing that it was only a 960g piece of 'foam'.

The next day I had to call in sick for work as my ankle had puffed up so much I couldn't get my work shoes on and my shin looked like I'd been hit with a baseball bat! I went to the doctor and he immediately sent me for X-rays. Nothing was broken, but there was epic swelling and bruising that lasted for nearly two weeks!

Now you tell me that a 2-3kg loaded fpv foamie falling out of the sky from 1500ft (after an altercation with an angry eagle, or a servo failure, etc) won't seriously mess up the roof of a house if you hit it? Or plough through the back window of a Maserati parked at the shops? If you're silly enough to fly over populated areas, you have the potential to have a reaaaaally bad day!

And as for proving negligence? I'm not sure about the USA, but in Australia, if you damage my stuff you pay up negligent or not! For eg, say I own a Porsche (in a perfect world) and you fly into it, lipo goes up and my car is now toast. "I'm awfully sorry sir, a servo burnt out and I lost it. It isn't my fault!" isn't going to save you when my insurance company bends you over and rapes you for 10 years worth of wages to pay for a car you'll never get to drive! lol
Socratous is offline Find More Posts by Socratous
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:31 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratous View Post
Hey guys, I've recently taken the plunge and ordered a skywalker 1680 and am looking to get into a full fpv setup over the coming months. One thing I've picked up from this thread in various posts that alarms me somewhat us the misconception that because the airframes are foam, and don't travel overly fast, that they can't cause much damage!

I'll tell you a little story from first hand experience...
I was flying at a local park about a year ago with a few mates. A bloke came up and had a chat to us as his ortistic son he had along with him was mesmerised by the planes. Obviously we had a good chat with him and did some low passes for the kid. I just touched down on the footpath with my parkzone spitty, doing maybe 25-30kph? This kid jumped out in front of it as I was rolling down the path! I jumped in front of him and dug my heel into the ground and tried to stop the plane with the ball of my foot. I wasn't quite fast enough and the leading edge just cleared my toes and hit me in the shin. It was a bit more painful that I would have thought, seeing that it was only a 960g piece of 'foam'.

The next day I had to call in sick for work as my ankle had puffed up so much I couldn't get my work shoes on and my shin looked like I'd been hit with a baseball bat! I went to the doctor and he immediately sent me for X-rays. Nothing was broken, but there was epic swelling and bruising that lasted for nearly two weeks!

Now you tell me that a 2-3kg loaded fpv foamie falling out of the sky from 1500ft (after an altercation with an angry eagle, or a servo failure, etc) won't seriously mess up the roof of a house if you hit it? Or plough through the back window of a Maserati parked at the shops? If you're silly enough to fly over populated areas, you have the potential to have a reaaaaally bad day!

And as for proving negligence? I'm not sure about the USA, but in Australia, if you damage my stuff you pay up negligent or not! For eg, say I own a Porsche (in a perfect world) and you fly into it, lipo goes up and my car is now toast. "I'm awfully sorry sir, a servo burnt out and I lost it. It isn't my fault!" isn't going to save you when my insurance company bends you over and rapes you for 10 years worth of wages to pay for a car you'll never get to drive! lol
That's why you put your ex-wife's number on the plane. for that very reason.
hendrnk is online now Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:39 PM
United States, MN, South St Paul
Joined Dec 2011
533 Posts
hello guys, i'm looking into getting into FPV i currently have a Hitec A9 TX 2.4ghz, does anyone know what the range before losing control is for these?
Saqueeb is offline Find More Posts by Saqueeb
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:21 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,139 Posts
Dave, I fly with an A9 and with the 6ch minima rx I had my radian out do far I needed help of someone who bought binoculars out with them to guide me back!

*lesson learnt, don't try chase pelicans you get very far very quickly! lol
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:01 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratous View Post
Dave, I fly with an A9 and with the 6ch minima rx I had my radian out do far I needed help of someone who bought binoculars out with them to guide me back!

*lesson learnt, don't try chase pelicans you get very far very quickly! lol
No OSD?
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:40 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Feb 2012
120 Posts
Can anybody reccomend a good first fpv plane. I am a competent pilot already and I'm looking for something in the 100 dollar range pnp from the US. So far I have seen a few that I liked I'm just curious whats the best,

Tech one Popwing
FPV Raptor
Sky Surfer
AXN Floater Jet.

Can anybody reccomend any of these over the others or make a better reccomendation
NYbySky is offline Find More Posts by NYbySky
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:44 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,139 Posts
I haven't taken the plunge fully with fpv yet, that was just a casual thermal outing and I got a bit carried away! I've just ordered a SW 1680 so when that arrives (stupid Chinese new year *shakes fist, lol) I'll start figuring what exactly to run in terms of video tx/rx and osd systems. The choices are somewhat overwhelming at the moment! And every system I'm looking into having a 500+ page thread on here isn't making the choices any easier :/
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:32 AM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCoen View Post
hello guys, i'm looking into getting into FPV i currently have a Hitec A9 TX 2.4ghz, does anyone know what the range before losing control is for these?
I have a A9 on my FPV quad (NAZA F450) and got to one mile with it. If you plan on flying something without RTH capability I'd keep it closer than that. Like most I think you will find yourself wanting to go farther quickly so a good UHF system is in your future.

If you are flying a multi rotor on the other hand battery capacity will limit distance.
Mike Freas is online now Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:01 AM
United States, MN, South St Paul
Joined Dec 2011
533 Posts
I emailed Hitec yesterday to ask them what the range was on their A9 and Oprima Rx's. Mike M. from Hitec responded with:

"Dave,

A recent independent test showed our system to have over 50% more range than our closest competitorů up to 6 miles with unobstructed line of sight!"

so if i can get 1-2 miles out of it i will be thrilled!
Saqueeb is offline Find More Posts by Saqueeb
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:39 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,301 Posts
^ Don't forget that these tests do not have a noisy video transmitter onboard screaming in the receiver's ear. Your FPV aircraft does.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member