SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 09, 2012, 05:15 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,470 Posts
Quote:
...After measuring I found that the rudder is slightly slanted at a verticle angle.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschult View Post
...I found that the horizontal stab is completely warped. Not even sure if it can be corrected as the covering was so tight it seemed liked it had been ironed. I took a popsicle and went under the covering to release it from the balsa. Anyone know what I can do to fix this ??? The only way I can think of it by playing the iron game but I am not sure it would work. I am talking about a 1/4 difference when placing a t-square next to the stab.
Thanks for the info,
Eric
Ok...the Rudder/vertical stab....OR the horizontal stab (the one with elevators on it)...which one is out of place? Both? One post states rudder, the other states horizontal stab....
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2012, 07:31 PM
FLYINGJUNKY
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens View Post
Ok...the Rudder/vertical stab....OR the horizontal stab (the one with elevators on it)...which one is out of place? Both? One post states rudder, the other states horizontal stab....
OOOPs!!! I meant the vertical stab. Horizontal would be an easy flix w/ a shim, but the vertical has me stumped. I took the landing gear off and placed the fuse on a flat table in hopes that the wheels might be off set but no luck. Any suggestions would be great!!!
Thanks, eric
eschult is offline Find More Posts by eschult
Old Aug 09, 2012, 07:44 PM
Destructive Tester
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2008
1,342 Posts
Quote:
CFG's work great!!!!!!!!! I noticed a big difference on an inverted harrier. i did come accross a problem with the rudder. I went to tighten up my tail wheel today and looking from the top of the plane i noticed that the rudder seems a little off. After measuring I found that the rudder is slightly slanted at a verticle angle. When I completed my build everything was perfect. I am sure that the fuse must be a little twisted by the hor. stab. I have built well over 20-25 planes and this is the first time I seen this happen. Not sure if the heat(from outside) made the balsa swell and then the stab shifted. Never hit it with an iron so i know that's its not the covering. I guess I will have to hit the hor. stab with some de-bonder and then try and open it up a little with an blade. funny part is I could not tell at all with 4 flights this morning. I just hope that I can give the stab a little wiggle room w/o having to remove the rudder hinges. any body ever had this happen????
Carefully run a box cutter blade down both sides of the stab into the joints. Then shim it square and hit with thin CA.

BTW I worked on the plane in your avatar (VF-84 USS Nimitz) GO NAVY !
jimmy34256 is offline Find More Posts by jimmy34256
Old Aug 09, 2012, 08:12 PM
FLYINGJUNKY
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy34256 View Post
Carefully run a box cutter blade down both sides of the stab into the joints. Then shim it square and hit with thin CA.

BTW I worked on the plane in your avatar (VF-84 USS Nimitz) GO NAVY !
I already ripped it all apart. Took the elevator off also. I started using a blade to remove the stab and then thought of something else. I hit the joints with some debonder and then used 10 lb. fishing line and ran it through both sides. I then used the fishing line and used it like a saw to work through the ca. Not sure if the shim will work to correct the vert. stab.
Thanks,Eric
Old Aug 09, 2012, 08:35 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
Joined Apr 2010
4,470 Posts
If you were creative enough to remove them with little damage...I'm sure you'll be able to get them in place straight before it's all over...
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:32 PM
FLYINGJUNKY
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
833 Posts
Quote:
If you were creative enough to remove them with little damage...I'm sure you'll be able to get them in place straight before it's all over...
I am sure I will figure out a way. Just like to ask someone elses advice as maybe they have a better idea than what i might be thinking at the time. I think i am going to mix up some epoxy and add some micro baloon filler. I am gonna sleep on it and maybe in the morning I might have a better way.
Thanks for the help.
Eric
Old Aug 10, 2012, 06:58 AM
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Mar 2011
711 Posts
That fishing line trick is nice, it should be easier to ship planes with that one!
nebwake is offline Find More Posts by nebwake
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:02 PM
FLYINGJUNKY
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
833 Posts
All fixed!!!!! Card stock and thin ca work the best for shims. Easier to work with than adding balsa shims. The ca turns the cardstock hard as a rock. Placed the horizontal stabilizer in the fuse and added a few shims to the top left and then a few to the bottom right. ( with the fuse laying flat on the table)Took some painters tape and ran one strip from the top of the vert. stap and stuck it to the side of the table and then did the same thing with the other side. This pulled the vert. stab into place. I then hit both sides of the fuse w/ an iron and then placed some thin ca in the joints of the horiz. stab. Let it sit for a minute and I had a perfectly straight rudder. No more twist in the back of the fuse!!!!!!!!!!! I could of let it go and left the rudder as is but everytime i put the edge in the air i would of been looking at that slant.
Thanks, Eric
Old Aug 10, 2012, 06:36 PM
United States, NJ, Clayton
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
Quote:
All fixed!!!!! Card stock and thin ca work the best for shims. Easier to work with than adding balsa shims. The ca turns the cardstock hard as a rock. Placed the horizontal stabilizer in the fuse and added a few shims to the top left and then a few to the bottom right. ( with the fuse laying flat on the table)Took some painters tape and ran one strip from the top of the vert. stap and stuck it to the side of the table and then did the same thing with the other side. This pulled the vert. stab into place. I then hit both sides of the fuse w/ an iron and then placed some thin ca in the joints of the horiz. stab. Let it sit for a minute and I had a perfectly straight rudder. No more twist in the back of the fuse!!!!!!!!!!! I could of let it go and left the rudder as is but everytime i put the edge in the air i would of been looking at that slant.
Thanks, Eric
congrats dude
keithy4129 is offline Find More Posts by keithy4129
Old Aug 10, 2012, 07:11 PM
Joined Mar 2011
711 Posts
Welp, after some hiccups like forgetting to glue in my aileron hinges and having to land that mess, the plane fly's awesome. I like it much better than the 59" slick. the SFG's do make a big difference but slows the roll rate. Overall I'm very happy and thrilled that it fly's so well.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 08:03 PM
FLYINGJUNKY
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebwake View Post
Welp, after some hiccups like forgetting to glue in my aileron hinges and having to land that mess, the plane fly's awesome. I like it much better than the 59" slick. the SFG's do make a big difference but slows the roll rate. Overall I'm very happy and thrilled that it fly's so well.
did you have to land w/o ailerons????
Old Aug 10, 2012, 08:21 PM
FLYINGJUNKY
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
833 Posts
That reminds me of a funny story. I taught myself to fly with a 3 chanel hobbyzone firebird and the v-tail was installed backwards at the factory. I flew that plane for about 2 months with the left and right pushrods on backwards. Everytime I crashed and had to re-build i installed them on backwards again. I had a freind come over and while i was flying it he asked for the tx to see how it flew. He had been lying for years and as soon as he pushed the stick left and the plane went right he throught the tx back in my hands and asked me what the hell i was doing flying the plane in reverse controls. I had to learn all over!!!!!!! About a year later i got my first balsa plane, greatplanes edge 51. I had gone to the feild one morning and a few guys were flying already. I started talking to them and w/o knowing I must have reversed the airelons on my dx5. I did not do a flight check and then took off. Holy #@%$% I relized what i had did and started to panic. I flew it up pretty high and started to get used to the directions. Because of that stupid hobbyzone being backwards when i first started i was able to fly the plane and land w/o a scratch on it!!!!!!!!!! Funny how things happen like that!!! LOL
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:51 PM
United States, PA, Ephrata
Joined Dec 2005
509 Posts
Quote:
Wow, that is a lot. I have nowhere near that much roll. I don't even mix out my edges. There has to be something going on with your setup if you are seeing that much roll....But I'm not sure what.
Yeah my thoughts as well. I'll have to look into it. I noticed on ailerons the centering seemed off on the servos. Or what I thought was servos. I wonder if I do have a warp and that would explain why at various speeds I'm always trimming ailerons. A couple days ago I had a mishap of the rudder servo arm backing off the servo output shaft during a hover (servo arm screw backed out in flight - a first for me). Plane yawed and when I hit the rudder I got nothing. Managed to roll it level before I belly flopped it down and tore out the gear mount. So, while it's being repaired I'll put a couple incidence meters on the wings and see if I have a warp.

Mike
bikeman is offline Find More Posts by bikeman
Old Aug 11, 2012, 09:32 AM
Joined Mar 2011
711 Posts
The left aileron got stuck in a downward position and I had to feed left hard right aileron in to keep it from rolling, which gave it about 30* of down flaps, I also had zero roll! it was a little harry but she came down in one piece.

Quote:
did you have to land w/o ailerons????
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:11 AM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
Joined Apr 2010
4,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeman View Post
Yeah my thoughts as well. I'll have to look into it. I noticed on ailerons the centering seemed off on the servos. Or what I thought was servos. I wonder if I do have a warp and that would explain why at various speeds I'm always trimming ailerons. A couple days ago I had a mishap of the rudder servo arm backing off the servo output shaft during a hover (servo arm screw backed out in flight - a first for me). Plane yawed and when I hit the rudder I got nothing. Managed to roll it level before I belly flopped it down and tore out the gear mount. So, while it's being repaired I'll put a couple incidence meters on the wings and see if I have a warp.

Mike
#1...Poorly centering servos are almost ALWAYS a problem...causing constant trim changes = not fun.

#2....Incidence on these ARFS is almost NEVER a problem. Sure, there can be a little warp in an aileron or elevator, rarely in the wing itself, and the laser-cut locating pin holes on the fuse are very consistent. THOUSANDS of the planes are out there, and almost nobody building and flying today even knows what an incidence meter is.

#3....It is possible that your elevator joiner is "twisted" somewhat and the elevator halves are a little off center....but even this rarely causes significant trouble.

Take care of the poorly centering servos first....and while you are at it, verify that you have no binding in any control linkages. Run the servos on their maximum allowable voltage too. Let us know what you find out...
RCG Plus Member