HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 07, 2012, 09:46 PM
FLYINGJUNKY
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
I updated the installation manual for the 55" Edge to cover this version of the airframe and sent it to Arron who said it was acceptable, so I'm going to post it here until such time as the web site gets updated with a link to the manual.

Let me know if you find any issues or have any suggestions to improve the manual.

Ok, RCG says my PDF is too big to attach to the forum post, so I've uploaded it to another website and you can download it from there. Once the official version is posted on the 3DHS web site, I will remove this copy.

http://www.mschulz.net/filedrop/3DH-...l_DRAFT_MS.pdf

Regards,
Mike
Nothing wrong with your copy at all Mike. They should just use as is. Great work,
Eric
eschult is offline Find More Posts by eschult
Last edited by eschult; Aug 07, 2012 at 09:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2012, 09:51 PM
FLYINGJUNKY
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
833 Posts
Took the advice and installed the sfg's. I will try them out on Thursday. The guy I sold my extra MX( to get the edge) to contacted me yesterday to tell me how much he loved the plane. I'll bet not as much as I am liking my edge!!! LOL
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:39 PM
United States, PA, Ephrata
Joined Dec 2005
509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDO999 View Post
Have any of you guys put rudder to aileron mix in your Edge? Just wondering because I got mine to knife edge with rudder only over the weekend but I had to put 30 opposite aileron in one direction and 10 the other. Does that sound right?

I was just dialing my knife edge mix in today and I'm at 14% left aileron compensation for right rudder KE. Can't remember what it is for the left rudder KE. Barely any elevator compensation needed at my CG.

Mike
bikeman is offline Find More Posts by bikeman
Old Aug 08, 2012, 01:51 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,510 Posts
Wow, that is a lot. I have nowhere near that much roll. I don't even mix out my edges. There has to be something going on with your setup if you are seeing that much roll....But I'm not sure what.
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 08, 2012, 02:01 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeman View Post
I was just dialing my knife edge mix in today and I'm at 14% left aileron compensation for right rudder KE. Can't remember what it is for the left rudder KE. Barely any elevator compensation needed at my CG.

Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens View Post
Wow, that is a lot. I have nowhere near that much roll. I don't even mix out my edges. There has to be something going on with your setup if you are seeing that much roll....But I'm not sure what.
lateral balance perhaps?
SnowDog1974 is offline Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Aug 08, 2012, 02:37 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
United States, NY, Alfred
Joined Apr 2009
7,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeman View Post

Mike
check for aileron or rudder warp. I've never needed 14% rudder/aileron for a 3DHS plane, not even a slick.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Aug 08, 2012, 02:50 PM
United States, MN, Cottage Grove
Joined Jul 2010
256 Posts
I figured out why mine needed so much rudder to aileron mix (30%!!!). I started pulling on the wings to check them and two of the bulkheads were moving inside the fuse. Also where the wing bolt goes on the left wing there was a crack that allowed the wing to move so much the anti rotation pin could come out of the hole! I ran some medium CA around the areas that needed it. Now I have 5% in both directions and it knife edges perfect.
UDO999 is offline Find More Posts by UDO999
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:12 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,510 Posts
Quote:
lateral balance perhaps?
Nope. Not the issue...never is...

In KE the wings are vertical and in line with the fuse, so a heavy wing would have no moment arm about the plane's axis.

But a different type of balance can happen....put some fat heavy bush tires on a plane and their weight will resist KE stability because they would want to swing down to the bottom.....

Don't you kind of wonder why the batt tray on some planes is lower than others......
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:15 PM
Joined Jan 2009
5,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens View Post
Nope. Not the issue...never is...

In KE the wings are vertical and in line with the fuse, so a heavy wing would have no moment arm about the plane's axis.

But a different type of balance can happen....put some fat heavy bush tires on a plane and their weight will resist KE stability because they would want to swing down to the bottom.....

Don't you kind of wonder why the batt tray on some planes is lower than others......
hmmm...interesting information...thanks

FYI, you can put a larger picture of that busted up airframe in your avatar since you are a Plus member
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 08, 2012, 08:19 PM
FLYINGJUNKY
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
833 Posts
Quote:
hmmm...interesting information...thanks

FYI, you can put a larger picture of that busted up airframe in your avatar since you are a Plus member
What is that plus member???? Certain amount of posts????
Old Aug 08, 2012, 09:23 PM
Joined Jan 2009
5,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschult View Post
What is that plus member???? Certain amount of posts????
Nope...you just have to email the admin and request it...you get more messages and a bigger avatar...so it seemed like a good idea to me.
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 09, 2012, 05:53 AM
United States, NJ, Clayton
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
Quote:
Nope...you just have to email the admin and request it...you get more messages and a bigger avatar...so it seemed like a good idea to me.
nevermind
keithy4129 is offline Find More Posts by keithy4129
Last edited by keithy4129; Aug 09, 2012 at 05:54 AM. Reason: nevermind
Old Aug 09, 2012, 03:00 PM
FLYINGJUNKY
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
833 Posts
CFG's work great!!!!!!!!! I noticed a big difference on an inverted harrier. i did come accross a problem with the rudder. I went to tighten up my tail wheel today and looking from the top of the plane i noticed that the rudder seems a little off. After measuring I found that the rudder is slightly slanted at a verticle angle. When I completed my build everything was perfect. I am sure that the fuse must be a little twisted by the hor. stab. I have built well over 20-25 planes and this is the first time I seen this happen. Not sure if the heat(from outside) made the balsa swell and then the stab shifted. Never hit it with an iron so i know that's its not the covering. I guess I will have to hit the hor. stab with some de-bonder and then try and open it up a little with an blade. funny part is I could not tell at all with 4 flights this morning. I just hope that I can give the stab a little wiggle room w/o having to remove the rudder hinges. any body ever had this happen????
Old Aug 09, 2012, 04:32 PM
United States, NJ, Clayton
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
If it doesn't effect flight performance I would leave it, unless it is really noticeable visually.
keithy4129 is offline Find More Posts by keithy4129
Old Aug 09, 2012, 05:18 PM
FLYINGJUNKY
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithy4129 View Post
If it doesn't effect flight performance I would leave it, unless it is really noticeable visually.
Yes I can see it when i stand above it w/o using a ruler. I took everything apart and I found that the horizontal stab is completely warped. Not even sure if it can be corrected as the covering was so tight it seemed liked it had been ironed. I took a popsicle and went under the covering to release it from the balsa. Anyone know what I can do to fix this ??? The only way I can think of it by playing the iron game but I am not sure it would work. I am talking about a 1/4 difference when placing a t-square next to the stab.
Thanks for the info,
Eric