Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 02, 2012, 07:03 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,361 Posts
Well, I finally got to the point where I could balance and check the CG.
I have to admit, I'm disappointed. The batteries are still further forward than I'd like them to be. It looks like I will have to add an ounce or so of nose weight after all. I was hoping the motor would be enough weight to enable easier positioning of the batteries. If I had NOT gone with the lightweight X mount, it might have balanced better. I was thinking when ordered the lightweight configuration that the extra weight of the motor would be enough. In hindsight, I should have gone with the stock configuration on the 4315-480. I contacted Ken and he said he could reconfigure the motor for me, no problem. He also observed that it is dead weight either way, so I could reconfigure the motor or just add lead weight and leave the motor alone. I think I will leave the motor alone. With this motor, I'm sure an ounce or so up front won't even be noticed, so it's no big deal, I was just hoping this configuration would be "cleaner". Haven't checked the watts yet; ran out of time last night; will do that tonight or sometime this weekend. Weather sure doesn't seem like it will be nice enought for a maiden flight any time soon. I uploaded a few pics of the configuration.
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Last edited by SnowDog1974; Mar 02, 2012 at 07:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:43 AM
mdv
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2009
420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
Well, I finally got to the point where I could balance and check the CG.
I have to admit, I'm disappointed. The batteries are still further forward than I'd like them to be. ...a maiden flight any time soon.
I'm a little bummed to hear this since I just received the same motor for my 58".

SnowDog, what size batteries? Maybe a little larger battery might help?
mdv is offline Find More Posts by mdv
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:56 AM
Joined Jan 2009
5,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdv View Post
I'm a little bummed to hear this since I just received the same motor for my 58".

SnowDog, what size batteries? Maybe a little larger battery might help?
mdv, the batteries are 2x3s2800s from Value Hobby. These are 8.3oz each, so battery weight is 16.6oz.

Yes, a larger battery might help. I'm not worried about the ounce or so of nose weight that I'll have to add, just a bit disappointed. Did you get the lightweight x mount, or the regular mount for your 4315?

I'm going to investigate further tonight; based on the fact that the 4315 is an ounce or so heavier than the 3620 that others used, and they had to add an ounce of weight, I figured this would work out fine. It was late last night; maybe I missed something?

Maybe I'll try some of these batteries:

http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...1-1v-lipo.html

Old Mar 02, 2012, 09:53 AM
Team 3DHS
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Nov 2008
1,412 Posts
Quote:
mdv, the batteries are 2x3s2800s from Value Hobby. These are 8.3oz each, so battery weight is 16.6oz.

Yes, a larger battery might help. I'm not worried about the ounce or so of nose weight that I'll have to add, just a bit disappointed. Did you get the lightweight x mount, or the regular mount for your 4315?

I'm going to investigate further tonight; based on the fact that the 4315 is an ounce or so heavier than the 3620 that others used, and they had to add an ounce of weight, I figured this would work out fine. It was late last night; maybe I missed something?

Maybe I'll try some of these batteries:

http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...1-1v-lipo.html

I'm not sure you need to add the lead weight. My setup is the A40-10s (7.43 oz) and a 4s 4000 (15.2 oz). The motrolfly site says the 4315 weighs in at 9 oz without x mount. If I use that number and your battery weight, I figure that I have 2.57 oz. less weight up front then yours.

I glued a piece of a plywood up front to shove the battery under and I used epp foam to give it some padding. This way I can just slide the battery in and simply stick a strap around the back of it. With this setup, the plane is perfectly neutral and flys great. If you build the little box to slide the batteries into so you can slide them all of the way forward you should be able to obtain a slighty nose heavy cg without the lead weight.
joesmith285 is offline Find More Posts by joesmith285
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2012, 10:03 AM
Joined Jan 2009
5,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesmith285 View Post
I'm not sure you need to add the lead weight. My setup is the A40-10s (7.43 oz) and a 4s 4000 (15.2 oz). The motrolfly site says the 4315 weighs in at 9 oz without x mount. If I use that number and your battery weight, I figure that I have 2.57 oz. less weight up front then yours.

I glued a piece of a plywood up front to shove the battery under and I used epp foam to give it some padding. This way I can just slide the battery in and simply stick a strap around the back of it. With this setup, the plane is perfectly neutral and flys great. If you build the little box to slide the batteries into so you can slide them all of the way forward you should be able to obtain a slighty nose heavy cg without the lead weight.
Thanks Joe, I'll give that a try. I think Bivens did something similar; sounds like that's the approach for success with this airframe. Now I just need some good weather for a maiden!
Old Mar 02, 2012, 10:07 AM
Team 3DHS
Joined Nov 2008
1,412 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Joe, I'll give that a try. I think Bivens did something similar; sounds like that's the approach for success with this airframe. Now I just need some good weather for a maiden!
Not a problem. If you try pushing the packs forward then you will definitely have a safe cg for a maiden. If you still don't like the cg after flying, then adding weight will be fine. You'll never notice the added weight.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2012, 10:17 AM
Joined Jan 2009
5,361 Posts
Quote:
Not a problem. If you try pushing the packs forward then you will definitely have a safe cg for a maiden. If you still don't like the cg after flying, then adding weight will be fine. You'll never notice the added weight.
Yeah, I didn't think the ounce or so would make much difference...just make it easier to manage the battery packs.

Can you send me the component that will allow me to fly even half the maneuvers you do with this plane as well as you do in your video?

Hey...aren't you supposed to be in school today?
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:19 AM
Team 3DHS
Joined Nov 2008
1,412 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, I didn't think the ounce or so would make much difference...just make it easier to manage the battery packs.

Can you send me the component that will allow me to fly even half the maneuvers you do with this plane as well as you do in your video?

Hey...aren't you supposed to be in school today?

Lol, it's a special mix in the radio, I can't give it out though

I'm in my web design class
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:25 AM
CHOO CHOO
Northern Indiana
Joined Jan 2009
4,126 Posts
Quote:
Lol, it's a special mix in the radio, I can't give it out though

I'm in my web design class
So RCG is just research?

BTW: My 4315 (lightened version) was 298 grams with x mount and prop adapter installed.
6L6Amp is offline Find More Posts by 6L6Amp
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:41 AM
Team 3DHS
Joined Nov 2008
1,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6Amp View Post
So RCG is just research?

BTW: My 4315 (lightened version) was 298 grams with x mount and prop adapter installed.
Of course

That means he has an additional .5 oz up front from the previous number I posted.

A total of 3.07 oz
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2012, 05:17 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
2,995 Posts
So I should buy the 4315 with the normal x mount?

Also, Snowdog, what standoffs did you use with the 4315?
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 72" Extra flight
Old Mar 02, 2012, 06:45 PM
Joined Jan 2009
5,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
So I should buy the 4315 with the normal x mount?

Also, Snowdog, what standoffs did you use with the 4315?
I used "custom" standoffs...they are 7/16" in length; I'm pretty sure a 1/2" length would work just fine too...you can find nylon spacers at your local hardware store. This was just what I had on hand.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 07:14 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
Joined May 2011
2,995 Posts
Quote:
I used "custom" standoffs...they are 7/16" in length; I'm pretty sure a 1/2" length would work just fine too...you can find nylon spacers at your local hardware store. This was just what I had on hand.
Thanks. Thats the lightweight mount, right? Would the motor length change with the different x mounts? I should go with the normal x mount, right?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2012, 07:15 PM
CHOO CHOO
Northern Indiana
Joined Jan 2009
4,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
Thanks. Thats the lightweight mount, right? Would the motor length change with the different x mounts? I should go with the normal x mount, right?
Why do you want the heavier one? What's the rest of your setup?
6L6Amp is offline Find More Posts by 6L6Amp
Old Mar 02, 2012, 07:17 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
Joined May 2011
2,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6Amp View Post
Why do you want the heavier one? What's the rest of your setup?
Because snowdog said he still needed nose weight with his. And I will be using 2x3s 2200mah batteries so they are pretty light.
RCG Plus Member