SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:02 PM
Hooked on 3DHS
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2009
908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-reevo View Post
I found 3 out of the 4 bolts but I will just take one of the canopy bolts from my 72" Extra. Also you said the SFG bolts for 7X planes are different so what do those look like?
the SFG screws for my 74 looked just like the ones from my 58.
lammbn is online now Find More Posts by lammbn
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:29 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,568 Posts
Quote:
I found 3 out of the 4 bolts but I will just take one of the canopy bolts from my 72" Extra. Also you said the SFG bolts for 7X planes are different so what do those look like?
Here is the bag, still unopened...it contains all the hardware for the wings. The four nylon bolts in this bag are the SFG wing bolts. Is this what you are talking about?
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:44 PM
Joined Aug 2010
551 Posts
Yeah thanks.
E-reevo is offline Find More Posts by E-reevo
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:44 PM
Joined Aug 2010
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammbn View Post
the SFG screws for my 74 looked just like the ones from my 58.
Ok
Thanks.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 05:24 PM
Hooked on 3DHS
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2009
908 Posts
Put 5 flights up on the 58 today because it had been neglected since the 74 showed up and the 48 is easier to grab for flying next to my house. I have a total of 10 flights on it now and its pretty much dialed in. I would like a little more elevator authority but thats about it. This plane is a great machine and has got me itching to put my 57 back together. After flying nothing but the 71 and 74 the last few times out the 58 seems really fast. I think its mostly a size illusion but was definitely noticeable. It is nice to be able to put the wings on at home and throw it in the back of my truck for the 1/4 mile ride to the empty culdesac. Wish i could do that with the 7x planes. All in all i am getting comfy with this plane and its going to start seeing a lot more abuse here soon.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:33 PM
Joined Jan 2009
5,568 Posts
Quote:
Put 5 flights up on the 58 today because it had been neglected since the 74 showed up and the 48 is easier to grab for flying next to my house. I have a total of 10 flights on it now and its pretty much dialed in. I would like a little more elevator authority but thats about it. This plane is a great machine and has got me itching to put my 57 back together. After flying nothing but the 71 and 74 the last few times out the 58 seems really fast. I think its mostly a size illusion but was definitely noticeable. It is nice to be able to put the wings on at home and throw it in the back of my truck for the 1/4 mile ride to the empty culdesac. Wish i could do that with the 7x planes. All in all i am getting comfy with this plane and its going to start seeing a lot more abuse here soon.
Great report, Brady! Can't wait to get mine done! I have to redo my motor spacers...the ones I put on last night are about 1/4" too long, so I have to unmount the motor and trim them (they are nylon spacers). I also ran into another interesting problem; I was going to use #8 bolts, but I can't get the head of the bolt onto the x mount...the hole is just a bit too close to the motor casing when it is all lined up...so I had to switch to #6 bolts. I don't know if the attached image really shows the issue or not...also not sure what others have done in this position. Once I get the nylon spacers trimmed, I will have the motor mounted as far forward as the cowl allows.

(this pic shows wood spacers, which I have subsequently removed because they were not long enough.)
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:43 PM
Hooked on 3DHS
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2009
908 Posts
i have had the same problem on other motors. the trick is that you can get them in and down when you can angle the bolt while putting it in. something you cant do with the spacers right there. so what you have to do is put all four bolts in the x-mount, then the spacers over the bolts, and thread them all in a little at a time until tight. I used the same size hardware that came with the plane and still had a similar issue. 4mm if i remember right.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:45 PM
Joined Jan 2009
5,568 Posts
Quote:
i have had the same problem on other motors. the trick is that you can get them in and down when you can angle the bolt while putting it in. something you cant do with the spacers right there. so what you have to do is put all four bolts in the x-mount, then the spacers over the bolts, and thread them all in a little at a time until tight. I used the same size hardware that came with the plane and still had a similar issue. 4mm if i remember right.
Thanks, I'll give that a try tonight...don't know why I didn't think of that?!
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:13 PM
Joined Aug 2010
551 Posts
I seem to have misplaced my 4th SFG bolt. Does anyone know where I can get a new one?
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:44 PM
Hooked on 3DHS
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2009
908 Posts
Quote:
I seem to have misplaced my 4th SFG bolt. Does anyone know where I can get a new one?
I would like to know that too. 3dhs has them listed on their site but they are out of stock. Listed as canopy bolts or something.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:13 PM
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Feb 2011
1,049 Posts
Quote:
I ran into the same problem on my 59 Slick I got nylon spacers from ace that perfectly fit the bolts that came with the plane. When I tried the install they would not make it past the bell without binding on the bell. I simply turned them around and put them through from the back of the firewall first and then put the nuts on the front. If you use the blind nuts this would not work of course.
Mr Big Head is online now Find More Posts by Mr Big Head
Old Mar 01, 2012, 12:54 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Big Head View Post
I ran into the same problem on my 59 Slick I got nylon spacers from ace that perfectly fit the bolts that came with the plane. When I tried the install they would not make it past the bell without binding on the bell. I simply turned them around and put them through from the back of the firewall first and then put the nuts on the front. If you use the blind nuts this would not work of course.
When I mounted my Motrofly motor with the fiber mount, I ended up using a "rat-tail" file to file the holes to a little bit of and angle so the the bolts went in at and angle then straightened out once they were in. And, I had to put all four in at a time instead of one at a time....

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:32 AM
ADC Vinyl
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
Quote:
I would like to know that too. 3dhs has them listed on their site but they are out of stock. Listed as canopy bolts or something.
ADC stocks many PARTS as well
Fliprob17 is offline Find More Posts by Fliprob17
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:46 AM
Hooked on 3DHS
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2009
908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliprob17 View Post
ADC stocks many PARTS as well
ah, your killing me. I always check with you guys for parts too but just never seemed to look for those very hard. I will be better in the future i promise now, if only you had some of those elusive 57 330sc motor box kits....
Old Mar 01, 2012, 10:02 AM
ADC Vinyl
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
I know....I even double checked the other night after looking at the 57 SC thread
Fliprob17 is offline Find More Posts by Fliprob17