SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:36 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Well of course if you draw little purple eyes on it it does!!

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:45 AM
Joined Jul 2011
437 Posts
From what models you have I'd go with the mxs 64 or 58 edge depending what kind of deal you can get.

They look to fly very similar. Which is cheaper?

The 74 edge also looks awesome however these size frames cant be thrown around quite so much
cookci is offline Find More Posts by cookci
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:26 AM
Byron C
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2011
722 Posts
Quote:
I've got a 48" Super Vyper, had a 48" Edge but recently sold it, 51" Slick, 71" Slick and 57" SC. And like I said... I got to fly a 58" Edge for a short while before I had a mechanical failure and.... well, it wasn't pretty.
Might just get another 58" ~ 60" Edge, especially since you've already got the "stuffings" on hand. No one should be without an Edge
3DeltaFly is online now Find More Posts by 3DeltaFly
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:04 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,692 Posts
Went out and flew both my 58" Edge, and my 74" Edge today, both in the red color scheme..

So...here's what you don't do....My 74" Edge, has plenty of power, but my 58" Edge has monster power....So....after flying the 58" first...I flew my 74...and, I'm like "what the heck"...no power....Then I realized what was going one....just the difference in size. Once I put it back into perspective, it was back to having plenty of power....

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:15 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
One reason why my ef 60" has nearly 1700w! no such problem when going from 48 to 60...
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:51 PM
StevieT.
United States, NC, Cary
Joined Apr 2011
354 Posts
Has anyone flown both this plane and PA's Katana MX? How do they compare?
Randino is offline Find More Posts by Randino
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:44 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,442 Posts
I used to have a PA extra MX 58......I'd take the edge any day. Never flown a Katana though, but I DON'T think you'd be disappointed in the 3dhs frame. For sure.
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:18 AM
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Mar 2011
707 Posts
The mxs is less expensive. You can thrash that 74 as hard as the 60" planes, really you can throw around everything up to 100cc really hard, the 40%ers do not like it quite as much, but I still do almost everything except for hard walls and fast blenders with my 122" extra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookci View Post
From what models you have I'd go with the mxs 64 or 58 edge depending what kind of deal you can get.

They look to fly very similar. Which is cheaper?

The 74 edge also looks awesome however these size frames cant be thrown around quite so much
nebwake is offline Find More Posts by nebwake
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:19 AM
Joined Jul 2011
437 Posts
I used to love the way the PA's flew.

They seemed to fly slower and be more predictable when learning 3d however now I have learn't a little I MUCH prefer 3DHS.

The 58" edge is an excellent frame and probably my favorite.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:22 AM
Joined Jul 2011
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebwake View Post
The mxs is less expensive. You can thrash that 74 as hard as the 60" planes, really you can throw around everything up to 100cc really hard, the 40%ers do not like it quite as much, but I still do almost everything except for hard walls and fast blenders with my 122" extra.

I'm yet to see a video of the 70+ frames flying quite so insanely as the smaller 60" ones.

Certainly in my hangar the 70"+ just don't have the same pitch authority or "chuckableness" however they aren't edges so thats not entirely fair.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:28 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
I'm yet to see a video of the 70+ frames flying quite so insanely as the smaller 60" ones.

Certainly in my hangar the 70"+ just don't have the same pitch authority or "chuckableness" however they aren't edges so thats not entirely fair.
I tend to agree with this but all I have to go on is a 57" SC, 58" Edge, 51" Slick and a 71" Slick. My 71" Slick is not NEARLY as violent as my other planes. It's still an awesome plane in it's own right but it's just not as violent. I can still sling it around but it's just not quite as crazy.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:39 PM
StevieT.
United States, NC, Cary
Joined Apr 2011
354 Posts
Quote:
I tend to agree with this but all I have to go on is a 57" SC, 58" Edge, 51" Slick and a 71" Slick. My 71" Slick is not NEARLY as violent as my other planes. It's still an awesome plane in it's own right but it's just not as violent. I can still sling it around but it's just not quite as crazy.
The reason smaller models seem more "violent" is because time runs more slowly for larger planes.

Understanding Scale Speed
Randino is offline Find More Posts by Randino
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:42 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randino View Post
The reason smaller models seem more "violent" is because time runs more slowly for larger planes.

Understanding Scale Speed
Ok. Maybe theoretically. But let me gather 50 people that know nothing about this theory and then have them watch me tumble my 51" Slick and then tumble my 71" Slick and then ask them which one was more violent.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:40 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,692 Posts
Quote:

Sometimes I think when we see a larger plane fly, even though it is really being thrown around, it doesn't appear so, as the plane is just larger.

On Saturday, I went out to fly and took my 41" Edge, my 58" Edge, and my 74" Edge (the latter two having the same color scheme)... I flew the very powerful 58" first, and hucked it to the best of my ability (granted, I am not that great at 3D)....I then flew my 74", and from the first moments of the first flight, I thought something was wrong, it seemed like it didn't have any power (and this plane also has plenty), and my timing was off..etc...On the second flight , it seemed better, but still not up to what I was used to. before the third flight, it dawned on me, it was a matter of perspective, as the 74" is just larger.....The third flight was great, as I had it back in my head what I was looking at....As noted, it was all perspective.... It kind of makes me wish I had gotten a yellow 58" now....but it just tells me not to take those two planes to the field on the same day......take orange 71" Slick, and red 58" Edge, or red 74" Edge and red 59" Slick, or 70" Velox and any of my other planes...

Basically what Randino was saying....

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:45 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,692 Posts
Quote:
Ok. Maybe theoretically. But let me gather 50 people that know nothing about this theory and then have them watch me tumble my 51" Slick and then tumble my 71" Slick and then ask them which one was more violent.
Watch Losi thrash a 71".....looks pretty violent to me....

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member