HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:07 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
steve did you get to try any pop tops? looking at gettting something bigger than my 48"ers and the 58 was on top of the list. pop tops are probably one of my favorites.

want to get something to do slow and low and high energy.
wedoitall is offline Find More Posts by wedoitall
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:13 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,157 Posts
I didn't, but with the way this plane snaps and tumbles, I have no doubt it will do them very well. The weather is supposed to change for the worse here in a few days, and I think a lot of guys came out to get some flights in while the weather was nice....And....we had four guys with over powered 1/4 scale Cubs playing "follow the leader", and were basically in the way as the were doing lots of side slips, low medium speed passes down the run way, and other various things spaced out to where you couldn't really fly between them...and of course the had 2 gallon gas tanks in them....And of course as we have six flight stations, when you have three or four guys doing that....there isn't a lot of time to fly....

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:04 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Maidened mine today...Finally!!!! Outstanding plane, and with the Hacker A50-14XS, Thunder Power 5S 45C 3850 packs, with a Castle ICE100 up front.....the plane balances just very slightly ahead of neutral, which is perfect.for me. First flight with a Xoar 15X8, I used 64% of the pack on a 5.5 minute flight, and the plane was ballistic on speed. I swapped the prop out for a Xoar 15X7, and on the second and third flights I took out 55% and 46% respectively. On the second flight, I thought it needed just a bit more throttle at 1/2 throttle, so boosted it to 55%, and it seemed very good. K.E. spins wonderful, inverted flat spins great....tumbles like a son of a ........Snaps the same.....and I have always had trouble doing belly in K.E. and I was able to do some with this plane today!!

If there was a 15X7.5 Xoar prop, it would be absolutely perfect for me with this motor. You guys that do the low and slow will like either of the Xoar props. I'm wondering if an APC will load the motor just a bit more and give a bit more performance?
Nice! Glad you finally got to fly this plane. I loved mine for the 4 flights I had with it!! And I agree... the KE Spins are sweeeeeet!! In fact, a KE spin was the LAST manuever that I did with this plane!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:42 PM
United States, OH, Sidney
Joined Feb 2011
70 Posts
what size servo arms should I use?
Aklik is offline Find More Posts by Aklik
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:28 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,511 Posts
If using hitec servos....the stock plastic hitec's that come with their 7955 and other giant scale servos work very well....probably near 1" or so with holes down through 5/8" on a fairly tight spacing......

Sorry I have no better answer here....but typically I have LOTS of these arms just laying around from giant scale where we don't use em....and they work so well on this size of plane. When using Futaba servos, you would need something about as long as the "large-circular" plate with no holes.....probably 7/8" or so of length should get you close...

If neither of those answers work out for you....Dubro has some "heavy-duty" aftermarket servo arms in two lengths.....the longer set is perfect. I'd measure mine...but it's out in the trailer on the top shelf. Anybody else got a good answer here?
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:41 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,157 Posts
Large Dubro for me....but then I don't think I actually used the outermost hole, so maybe the smaller ones will work.

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:04 PM
United States, OH, Sidney
Joined Feb 2011
70 Posts
Im using spektrum A5040's and the factory arms are really short. I found some about 1" ill try them out.
Aklik is offline Find More Posts by Aklik
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:50 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aklik View Post
Im using spektrum A5040's and the factory arms are really short. I found some about 1" ill try them out.
I'm using those servos and use these servo arms.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXD669&P=ML
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:05 AM
Bombs Away...
United States, MI, Lambertville
Joined Nov 2009
264 Posts
I asked this before but never received an answer.
Would a Eflite power32 and 60amp esc with an apc 14x7 prop be sufficient for this bird?
AL1EN is offline Find More Posts by AL1EN
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:30 AM
Destructive Tester
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2008
1,344 Posts
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL1EN View Post
I asked this before but never received an answer.
Would a Eflite power32 and 60amp esc with an apc 14x7 prop be sufficient for this bird?
No....
jimmy34256 is offline Find More Posts by jimmy34256
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:47 AM
Bombs Away...
Joined Nov 2009
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy34256 View Post
No....
could you explain plz?

Im trying to use the power setup from this plane
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...arf-EFL4125#t2
Last edited by AL1EN; Feb 07, 2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:23 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
could you explain plz?

It wouldn't be horrible but I think you might be a little underwhelmed. I mean... it would certainly fly the plane and it would probably be fine for sport flying (although a little sluggish perhaps) but you're not going to really love it for 3D.

I think you'll also have a little trouble getting the plane to balance - you'd certainly have to do a push/pull rudder instead of pull/pull which wouldn't be a big deal.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:45 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
could you explain plz?

for starters that plane has 10" smaller wingspan...
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:13 AM
Bombs Away...
Joined Nov 2009
264 Posts
shoot!!!

this is all bad news
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:29 AM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
It wouldn't be horrible but I think you might be a little underwhelmed. I mean... it would certainly fly the plane and it would probably be fine for sport flying (although a little sluggish perhaps) but you're not going to really love it for 3D.

I think you'll also have a little trouble getting the plane to balance - you'd certainly have to do a push/pull rudder instead of pull/pull which wouldn't be a big deal.
+1. But I think you got the balance thing wrong. The power 32 is lighter than other motors so putting the rudder servo in the tail would make it even more tail heavy.
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97