HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:38 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
I just added about 2 ounces of dead weight to the very front of the motor box and then put an oversized spinner on mine. I can now at least get to the batter well enough to strap it in!!

The odd thing is that my Motrofly is actually HEAVIER than the recommended Hacker motors so I'm not sure how anyone ever gets a neutral CG.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:15 AM
Joined Jul 2011
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I just added about 2 ounces of dead weight to the very front of the motor box and then put an oversized spinner on mine. I can now at least get to the batter well enough to strap it in!!

The odd thing is that my Motrofly is actually HEAVIER than the recommended Hacker motors so I'm not sure how anyone ever gets a neutral CG.
I just used a fixed carbon fibre brace toward the front of the motor box. I then slide the battery underneath said brace.

Im using a 280gram motor with a woodie and cg is bob on. The cowl barely overlaps the canopy so the model is as long as it can be
cookci is offline Find More Posts by cookci
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:39 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,063 Posts
Oooooo Cookci has a woodie!!!

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:47 AM
Joined Jul 2011
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Oooooo Cookci has a woodie!!!

SteveT
A big sodding woodie this morning and nowhere to stick it!!

(My yaks 22" struggles to go into the car)
cookci is offline Find More Posts by cookci
Last edited by cookci; Jan 13, 2013 at 03:53 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:11 AM
Byron C
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2011
708 Posts
Quote:
So what is the preferred setup on this plane power wise? I'm currently borrowing my 57" SC setup but I'll soon build another one of those (got one brand new just waiting... My other one perished in a midair) and I can move my Motrofly 4315-714 back over to there and get a new motor for this one.
Had no problem with getting a neutral CG, however my setup uses the Torque 4016T-500 MKII (292g) and a Sky 5S 4000mAH 30C pack. H'm, that may be why the balance is good since the 5S pack weighs 532g.

I have the 5S 4000 pack mounted about an inch from the firewall, but my ESC is just on the fuse side of the firewall to keep from adding wire length. To make the LiPo pack easier to swap out, I cut a square receiver hole in a block of EPP and stuck it right behind the firewall. So the pack "plugs" into that hole, and the aft end of the pack "plugs" into the "U" cut of a second EPP block positioned on the tray at the wing tube. This arrangement holds the pack nice and snug, and one "seatbelt" strap around it completes the mounting. Using the same LiPo mounting arrangement on my 48" Edge.

HTH, Byron C.
3DeltaFly is offline Find More Posts by 3DeltaFly
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:08 AM
Destructive Tester
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2008
1,323 Posts
Quote:
The motor really isn't really a 5s motor. In addition, I do not have any 5s batteries. I guess I'll eventually add some weight to the nose.

Oh right, I have the Motrofly 4315-500 in mine.....
jimmy34256 is offline Find More Posts by jimmy34256
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:39 AM
Riley O'Brien
Waverly, NE
Joined Jul 2008
507 Posts
Quote:

Something is not right.
obrieri is offline Find More Posts by obrieri
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:08 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Mar 2011
328 Posts
Quote:

I was hoping to do the same thing as you and use the same 4315-714kv setup on this one as the 57"SC and avoid adding weight when I built mine.

I thought wamsy had this same 4S setup and it came out fine without adding nose weight?
edf_rookie is online now Find More Posts by edf_rookie
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:55 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Maybe I'm just completely messing up my CG measurement guys. I'll find the real CG once I fly it. I've got a rather ghetto nose weight setup that I can easily remove. I took the rx tray that came with my kit and taped two stacks of pennies to it and then glued that to the front of the motor box.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:31 PM
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Sep 2008
770 Posts
Quote:
I built my 58" Edge today and I'm looking forward to putting several batteries through her tomorrow. I haven't read much of this thread but has anyone else had trouble getting a neutral CG? I've got a Motrofly 4315-714 with an Ice Lite 100 and 4s 4000. I've got the battery ALL the way forward and I'm still a little aft on my CG. I'll add nose weight if necessary but I hate to do that.
I have almost the same setup and am tail heavy. I am running a standard ICE 100 on the motor box. I can't get both straps on without some nose weight. The weather isn't maiden worthy yet. I have 1/2" spacers at the motor and am running Gens Ace 4000 25C. I will add nose weight (as little as possible) to get the battery back a bit for strapping.

Mike
Brownie433 is offline Find More Posts by Brownie433
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:51 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Doh!!! Dang near lost my Edge on its maiden!! The Castle was beeping 5 times so I guess it lost signal somehow?? My RX and satellite were not blinking which makes me think they never lost connection.

I just did another range check and all is good. These issues bug me to death. Any thoughts?

I was coming out of a tumble and I heard a beep and then had no control. It came back as I was in some sort of death tumble. I pulled it out at the last second and put her down pretty hard in the tall grass. Zero damage which is amazing but now I'm nervous to fly again.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:18 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,302 Posts
that sounds like it could be a motor timing issue...have you programmed the esc?
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:21 PM
Riley O'Brien
Waverly, NE
Joined Jul 2008
507 Posts
Quote:
Doh!!! Dang near lost my Edge on its maiden!! The Castle was beeping 5 times so I guess it lost signal somehow?? My RX and satellite were not blinking which makes me think they never lost connection.

I just did another range check and all is good. These issues bug me to death. Any thoughts?

I was coming out of a tumble and I heard a beep and then had no control. It came back as I was in some sort of death tumble. I pulled it out at the last second and put her down pretty hard in the tall grass. Zero damage which is amazing but now I'm nervous to fly again.
Loose connection somewhere maybe. If you are using deans connectors plug in your battery and wiggle the connection and see if the rx powers off.
obrieri is offline Find More Posts by obrieri
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:35 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Yea, I've programmed the ESC. I've used this motor/ESC combo a bit with no problems. It came of a 57" SC that was in a midair. The motor DID pull away from the ESC (bullet connectors, not direct solder) so maybe something got damaged like one of the solder joints? I might pull it off and direct solder it.

I guess a motor wiring issue could cause the issue I had? That would explain why my RX wasn't flashing right??
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:37 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,302 Posts
Quote:
Yea, I've programmed the ESC. I've used this motor/ESC combo a bit with no problems. It came of a 57" SC that was in a midair. The motor DID pull away from the ESC (bullet connectors, not direct solder) so maybe something got damaged like one of the solder joints? I might pull it off and direct solder it.

I guess a motor wiring issue could cause the issue I had? That would explain why my RX wasn't flashing right??
that could definitely be the case
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption