HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:14 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
if the plane would have gone nose in, wouldnt motor box should have to be in splinters, to have impact strong enough to snap wingtube? (just thinking from my expirience with 57" where i hit it wing first on the ground, destroyed motor box, broke fuse in half but wing tube was intact...)
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:17 AM
Joined Jul 2011
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
if the plane would have gone nose in, wouldnt motor box should have to be in splinters, to have impact strong enough to snap wingtube? (just thinking from my expirience with 57" where i hit it wing first on the ground, destroyed motor box, broke fuse in half but wing tube was intact...)
I concur.

A nose end crash bad enough to break the tube would be bad enough to destroy the cowl and motorbox surely.
cookci is offline Find More Posts by cookci
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:36 AM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,699 Posts
Quote:
Just throwing out possibilities, since none of us saw what really happened.
Why is the break/bend in the tube facing to the rear of the plane?. Just seems the wings would of been in a V shape not a > shape. Landing gear is broke off, no pictures of Motor box so can't really say from the pictures what is damaged. I've seen tubes bend, but for one of these to actually snap and break? Gentle wall? Sorry not working in my mind. I've tried to break this size of wing tube. Maybe you should try it. Its un-believable the force it takes to bend one. Can't imagine snapping one unless its some short of bunt force trauma. I know people who will say they don't bend, just break. Owell. I've seen em bend. Now granted that wing tube could of had a really bad manufacturing problem. But for the weakest point to be right in the center of the tube, whats the odds of that happening when these tube are made in long lengths and cut to size.
Not saying it couldn't of happened, just being a realist in seeing the pain/ G's I've seen inflicted on these 58 edges.
jsmith285 is offline Find More Posts by jsmith285
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:49 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith285 View Post
Just throwing out possibilities, since none of us saw what really happened.
Why is the break/bend in the tube facing to the rear of the plane?. Just seems the wings would of been in a V shape not a > shape. Landing gear is broke off, no pictures of Motor box so can't really say from the pictures what is damaged. I've seen tubes bend, but for one of these to actually snap and break? Gentle wall? Sorry not working in my mind. I've tried to break this size of wing tube. Maybe you should try it. Its un-believable the force it takes to bend one. Can't imagine snapping one unless its some short of bunt force trauma. I know people who will say they don't bend, just break. Owell. I've seen em bend. Now granted that wing tube could of had a really bad manufacturing problem. But for the weakest point to be right in the center of the tube, whats the odds of that happening when these tube are made in long lengths and cut to size.
Not saying it couldn't of happened, just being a realist in seeing the pain/ G's I've seen inflicted on these 58 edges.
well, noone saw it and noone can proof anything... and even if there would have been a video, noone could say that tube wasnt damaged before... all im saying is that after reading all the things about 3dhs cs going downhill, wouldnt it serve PR a big time, giving him somekind of deal? not nessecary free airframe, but at least something?

but on the other hand, there is a chance that 3dhs is thinking if we will replace his plane, all with crashes will come and ask for a free airframe..... heh, who knows...

from one side im lucky being overseas.. i buy plane, i fly it, when i trash it, i buy new one... cause considering all the shipping and waiting time, its the same as ordering parts...
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:26 AM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,353 Posts
So, I'm putting together my edge with a motrofly 4315-480.....what is suggested for spacers?
JimTMich is offline Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:47 AM
Destructive Tester
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2008
1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTMich View Post
So, I'm putting together my edge with a motrofly 4315-480.....what is suggested for spacers?
Used 1/2 inch nylon from lowes
jimmy34256 is offline Find More Posts by jimmy34256
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:50 AM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
2,995 Posts
Yup. 1/2 in works good.
zmonster97 is online now Find More Posts by zmonster97
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 72" Extra flight
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:51 AM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,699 Posts
Quote:
well, noone saw it and noone can proof anything... and even if there would have been a video, noone could say that tube wasnt damaged before... all im saying is that after reading all the things about 3dhs cs going downhill, wouldnt it serve PR a big time, giving him somekind of deal? not nessecary free airframe, but at least something?

but on the other hand, there is a chance that 3dhs is thinking if we will replace his plane, all with crashes will come and ask for a free airframe..... heh, who knows...

from one side im lucky being overseas.. i buy plane, i fly it, when i trash it, i buy new one... cause considering all the shipping and waiting time, its the same as ordering parts...
I'm just stating my point of view/ opinion nothing more. Joe has his 58 set up to pylon race. It is really fast, if a wing tube was going to snap from over G'ing it, he wouldn't still be grinning ear to ear when he flies his.
Did a wing tube failure cause the plane to go in from a gentle wall?, I'd have to see it to believe it. You would too if you watched the behind the scenes testing that is done.
jsmith285 is offline Find More Posts by jsmith285
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:00 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith285 View Post
I'm just stating my point of view/ opinion nothing more. Joe has his 58 set up to pylon race. It is really fast, if a wing tube was going to snap from over G'ing it, he wouldn't still be grinning ear to ear when he flies his.
Did a wing tube failure cause the plane to go in from a gentle wall?, I'd have to see it to believe it. You would too if you watched the behind the scenes testing that is done.
doooh... i was just stating that every truth has 2 sides..... but better i will just shut up...
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:11 AM
3DHobbyShop.com
S. Lancaster County, PA
Joined Jun 2006
2,527 Posts
Normally, no good comes from us responding to customer service issues in a public forum.

Bottom line is, this was a garage sale item sold as-is that was resold and damaged in shipping to the second buyer. The second buyer then contacts us for a replacement airframe or parts to fix the damage. We said no. The airframe is then flown and crashes on second flight and again the second buyer would like to discuss this (receive a replacement airframe).

As you all know, had the shipping damage occurred to the original buyer we would have replaced it. No questions. A claim would have been filed with UPS.

To address the wing tube failures... we thankfully do not see many. Normally a customer will find a weak spot and we replace it.
horton is offline Find More Posts by horton
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:27 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Last edited by rimaarts; Jan 10, 2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:36 AM
Riley O'Brien
Waverly, NE
Joined Jul 2008
507 Posts
Out of all of the airplanes I have put together I have only seen one weak cf tube that shipped with a kit. It was a cheap chinese kit. But it is possible I guess.

One of two things happened here.

Either:
The plane was crashed and the owner broke the tube and set it up that way for the picture in an attempt to get a free or cheap replacement.

Or:
Just got a weak tube and didn't check it when assembling the airplane.

I check my wing tubes before putting the wings on every trip to the field. By check I mean I try to bend them with quite a bit of force.

I doubt an impact with the ground would break a good tube in that way without doing more damage to everything else and a good tube certainly wouldn't fail in the air.

Just my opinion of course...but, I would have a hard time holding a manufacturer responsible for a wing tube failure.

Also my opinion is that these matters should ALWAYS be handled/discussed privately with the manufacturer...if they don't answer the phone you can email them and be patient or send a pm on one of the various forums. When these situations are posted online(and especially the ones that are cross posted and plastered on multiple sites) it often comes off as an extortion attempt rather than an honest attempt to work with the company.

I am sorry to see that though, either way...I hate broken airplanes.

After Nolls post I am going to have to say I don't feel like it is 3dhs's responsibility whatsoever.
obrieri is offline Find More Posts by obrieri
Last edited by obrieri; Jan 10, 2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:21 AM
Joined Jul 2011
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by horton View Post
Normally, no good comes from us responding to customer service issues in a public forum.

Bottom line is, this was a garage sale item sold as-is that was resold and damaged in shipping to the second buyer. The second buyer then contacts us for a replacement airframe or parts to fix the damage. We said no. The airframe is then flown and crashes on second flight and again the second buyer would like to discuss this (receive a replacement airframe).

As you all know, had the shipping damage occurred to the original buyer we would have replaced it. No questions. A claim would have been filed with UPS.

To address the wing tube failures... we thankfully do not see many. Normally a customer will find a weak spot and we replace it.
I just don't see how 3DHS would be at any loss doing him a good deal on the spares.

There are some companies out there who will send the pilot free spares with no questions asked!

For probably no loss to 3DHS you would have a pilot singing your praises rather than telling fellow pilots at his club to fly extreme flight.

I don't see how it matters where the model came from. You made it and its quite clearly been sent out with a defect which in my opinion can't possibly have been damaged in the post

Just my 2 pence... I will stop now!
cookci is offline Find More Posts by cookci
Last edited by cookci; Jan 10, 2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:25 AM
Riley O'Brien
Waverly, NE
Joined Jul 2008
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookci View Post
I just don't see how 3DHS would be at any loss doing him a good deal on the spares.

There are some companies out there who will send the pilot free spares no questions asked!
WHO??? I need some uhh..."spare parts"
obrieri is offline Find More Posts by obrieri
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:29 AM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by obrieri View Post
WHO??? I need some uhh..."spare parts"
im with you on that..
rcbirk21 is online now Find More Posts by rcbirk21