HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2012, 10:19 PM
Santa Cruz, CA
Joined Feb 2006
203 Posts
Discussion
Fun Build 5 - 48" Convair 240

I've been itching to build a model as of late, and for a long time I've been wanting to do a Convair 240/340/440. I love the propliners of that era, and for the most part they are terribly under-modeled. I noticed the Fun Build 5 thread and thought "hey, that'll keep me motivated" so I figured I would build it as an entry for that.

I have an excellent 3-view, lots of good documentation, and many excellent color schemes to choose from. This will be a "stick and tissue" build to the hilt. Keel and former construction for the fuselage, all built up flying surfaces, covered in silkspan. No landing gear, to keep it light and simple. I'll either use some of the small Himaxx motors I have on hand from when I was still selling kits, or an IPS setup. I'll be CNC machining all the plugs for sparks to make the engine nacelles and cockpit cabin cover/windshield from.

I'll probably deck it out in either Mohawk or Braniff colors -I have decal sets from both airlines that I stashed away years ago.

Size is going to be around 40", so that it can easily be doubled and become a stick and tissue giant scale model. I really like the whole giant scale stick and tissue stuff D-Rock is doing these days, but don't have the time to build something that big, so I'm going to at least make it easy to turn it into that if wanted.

-Sky
AcmeAircraft is offline Find More Posts by AcmeAircraft
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2012, 10:23 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,941 Posts
I've always liked the smooth, streamlined look of the Convairs. Tempting!
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Jan 03, 2012, 10:45 PM
Joined Feb 2006
97 Posts
I am very excited about your build. I had the pleasure of flying as Captain on CV-440's in the late 1980's for Trans Continental Airlines, AKA call sign "TransCon". Some Jokesters also called us "TrashCan". I also flew the CV-240/T-29/C-131 for another operator during a furlough from my major airline job in the early 1990's. I hold 8 type ratings for transport category aircraft. The Convair type is my proudest one. I've got the MAN plans for a Convair, but have yet to have time to build it. I look forward to watching your build.

Jim
CV440pilot is offline Find More Posts by CV440pilot
Old Jan 04, 2012, 05:01 AM
It flew once before...
Northwood , New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
Awesome subject and size Sky ! Always wanted an airliner ( just not a big one ) Looking forward to your build

-John
jofrost is offline Find More Posts by jofrost
Old Jan 04, 2012, 05:50 AM
Malanda, QLD Australia
Joined Jul 2004
973 Posts
Nice choice! I'm sure it will be a terrific flyer.

Rich
Zephyr41 is offline Find More Posts by Zephyr41
Old Jan 04, 2012, 11:13 AM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,663 Posts
Subscribed!

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Jan 04, 2012, 11:32 AM
pilot
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Mar 2007
124 Posts
Cool. Great subject.
My first flight on an airplane was on one of those Convairs during a commercial flight from Florida to Pennsylvania.
I was about 4 or 5 years old.
Part of the flight was at night and I remember staring transfixed for hours at the flames coming out of the exhaust.
Jeff
jeffh22037 is offline Find More Posts by jeffh22037
Old Jan 04, 2012, 11:34 AM
Santa Cruz, CA
Joined Feb 2006
203 Posts
Thanks guys! I've been scurrying away documentation and itching to design/build this one for a long time, so I'm very excited.

As for being an excellent flyer....well I'm going to try my best to keep it very very light. The high aspect ratio of the wing means very low Re's, given the size I'm building it at, and a very narrow acceptable cg range. Let's just say I'll make sure we have a camera on hand for the first flight, to make sure the "in flight photo" requirement is met

-Sky
Old Jan 04, 2012, 04:30 PM
It flew once before...
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
Will this be a ROG for this one Sky ?

-John
Old Jan 04, 2012, 05:47 PM
Santa Cruz, CA
Joined Feb 2006
203 Posts
John -

It'll be a "chuck and skid" model. I'll at least put the wheel locations in the drawings though, in case anyone wants to convert it to ROG. If I had more free time these days, I would make it giant scale and use those fancy shmansy new electric retracts. But, considering how busy things are for me these days work wise, I figure I need to keep this project in line with the amount of time I can devote to it. So....chuck and skid for me it is.

-Sky
Old Jan 04, 2012, 07:06 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,941 Posts
I enjoy scale-like taxiing, takeoffs, and landings, don't mind gear and gear doors hanging out to avoid weight of retracts.
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Jan 04, 2012, 07:29 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
I'm looking forward to this build.

At 40" I would think it could carry two ounces of electric retracts if the rest was light. It would add another level to the model.

Len
LenBFP is online now Find More Posts by LenBFP
Old Jan 04, 2012, 08:03 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,243 Posts
Great to see you returning to model aircraft - and in a big way! I'll be watching!

Geoff
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Jan 04, 2012, 11:13 PM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Sonoma County CA!
Joined Jul 2007
1,337 Posts
Nice! I've wanted to do a T29 for awhile as a tip of the hat to my dad who trained as a B52 nav in them. Got to admit that the old commercial schemes are more interesting, though.

Have fun!

Paul
Longhorne is offline Find More Posts by Longhorne
Old Jan 05, 2012, 04:47 AM
It flew once before...
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
Chuck & Skid works for me