Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 03, 2012, 09:16 PM
Captain Murdock Flys Again!
Joined Nov 2011
68 Posts
Discussion
Maybe I'm Just Not Cut Out For Helicoptors

As some of you know, I bought the HK136-M2 some time back. I managed to break the flybar, stablizer bar, or whatever you want to call it bar on the second flight. I ordered 3 replacement bars and got them in the mail today. I put one on and I've spent two battery charges trying to get this thing trimmed. Just when I think I'm close, it does something else stupid. I can't get a stable hover without it moving in one direction or another no matter what I do with the trim buttons. I did get it to stop lurching forward with a combination of the trim and moving the battery back a bit. Other than that, I'm stumped. I've been trying just little incriments at a time with the trims so I don't overshoot my mark but it seems to happen anyway.

Is there a trick to this I'm missing??
WillieB69 is offline Find More Posts by WillieB69
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2012, 09:25 PM
Crash and Burn
Joined Sep 2011
678 Posts
If the flybar broke, perhaps the main shaft or blade grips took a beating also? The larger transmitters have a subtrim setting which provides smaller increments, but I suspect that simply trimming may not be the issue.
lawlist is offline Find More Posts by lawlist
Last edited by lawlist; Jan 03, 2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2012, 09:36 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,481 Posts
Take a deep breath and have a little patience. I have a 450. had a little mishap the other day. Bent flybar,bent spindle. replaced. all together to find out bent main shaft. replaced. all together just to find out I blew out the one way bearing too. I had it together 3 times already and now I have to go buy something else.
Heli's are fun but can have hidden suprizes.

On your trim question. can you get all your trims back to center ? if so, do that and start over because sometimes if you over trim one input, it could wack out another. only trim very small increments at a time.

+1 lawlist said too. It could be something else you broke but not know it.
Dale 813 is offline Find More Posts by Dale 813
Last edited by Dale 813; Jan 03, 2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2012, 09:43 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,417 Posts
I'd be more inclined to suspect you bought junk. Isn't that an MCX knock-off?
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jan 03, 2012, 09:56 PM
Joined Nov 2011
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Possibly?

I bought it from Hobby King.
Everyone seemed to think I'd be OK with it.
I was gonna stick with 3 channels.....
Old Jan 03, 2012, 09:59 PM
Joined Nov 2011
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawlist View Post
If the flybar broke, perhaps the main shaft or blade grips took a beating also? The larger transmitters have a subtrim setting which provides smaller increments, but I suspect that simply trimming may not be the issue.
I really hope nothing else is busted. Nothing else LOOKS busted but what do I know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale 813 View Post
On your trim question. can you get all your trims back to center ? if so, do that and start over because sometimes if you over trim one input, it could wack out another. only trim very small increments at a time.
I'm not sure if I can center them back or not. They're push buttons instead of knobs or sliders. I guess I could always count how many blips from one extreme to the other and go back by half......
Old Jan 03, 2012, 10:54 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,417 Posts
HK helis have proven to be something of a crap shoot. Some are good, some are not. However, before you get too down on it, I would suggest you insure your swashplate is level, the top and bottom plates are together and servo arms have adequate movement. I also don't know what you mean by a "stable hover", but I wouldn't fixate on it anyway. It's never going to be as stable as a 3 channel and what point would it serve? You aren't learning anything if the heli just sits there for 10 seconds all by itself. Learning to hover in one place is a nice exercise for a rank beginner, but I think you are past that stage. When you get into 4 channel and above, you get no breaks with either hand, even for a second. So, get used to it.
Last edited by Balr14; Jan 03, 2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 01:57 AM
Joined Mar 2010
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieB69 View Post
I really hope nothing else is busted. Nothing else LOOKS busted but what do I know?

I'm not sure if I can center them back or not. They're push buttons instead of knobs or sliders. I guess I could always count how many blips from one extreme to the other and go back by half......
If its pushbutton like mine, it makes a beep (high or low pitch) when you push the button. You can go all the way to the end, then count how many to the opposite end and divide by 2 (i.e. 40 pushes from all the way on one to the other.. 20 clicks would be half which is centered) or listen for the loud abnormal tone when you hit the middle.
jwoodby is offline Find More Posts by jwoodby
Old Jan 04, 2012, 09:19 AM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
Quote:
HK helis have proven to be something of a crap shoot. Some are good, some are not. However, before you get too down on it, I would suggest you insure your swashplate is level, the top and bottom plates are together and servo arms have adequate movement. I also don't know what you mean by a "stable hover", but I wouldn't fixate on it anyway. It's never going to be as stable as a 3 channel and what point would it serve? You aren't learning anything if the heli just sits there for 10 seconds all by itself. Learning to hover in one place is a nice exercise for a rank beginner, but I think you are past that stage. When you get into 4 channel and above, you get no breaks with either hand, even for a second. So, get used to it.
Which HK helis are proven to be a crap shoot?

This helicopter has only a few bad reviews on the HK site, the majority of those reviews are about the charger, not the flight characteristics. In fact just about everything I can find on the helicopter says that it flies great. It seems to me to be a bit on the dishonest side for you to make the claim that all HK helicopters or knockoffs are "junk".
Barak1001 is offline Find More Posts by Barak1001
Old Jan 04, 2012, 04:31 PM
Joined Nov 2011
68 Posts
Quote:
I also don't know what you mean by a "stable hover", but I wouldn't fixate on it anyway. It's never going to be as stable as a 3 channel and what point would it serve? You aren't learning anything if the heli just sits there for 10 seconds all by itself. Learning to hover in one place is a nice exercise for a rank beginner, but I think you are past that stage. When you get into 4 channel and above, you get no breaks with either hand, even for a second. So, get used to it.
It's not an exercise for me. It's for the heli. If I can get it to stay put when I'm not fiddling with the controllers, then I know it's gonna do what I want it to do when I am actually controlling it. It ain't perfect yet but I'm getting closer. Just gotta get the yaw figured out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoodby View Post
If its pushbutton like mine, it makes a beep (high or low pitch) when you push the button. You can go all the way to the end, then count how many to the opposite end and divide by 2 (i.e. 40 pushes from all the way on one to the other.. 20 clicks would be half which is centered) or listen for the loud abnormal tone when you hit the middle.
This is what I did with it. Centered everything back and started from scratch. Just have a slight yaw to the right I gotta clear up.

Managed to snap the ball to the flybar link off one blade. Solved that by flipping the flybar over and attaching it to the ball on the other side. Saved the replacement blades for more serious damage.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 06:25 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barak1001 View Post
Which HK helis are proven to be a crap shoot?

This helicopter has only a few bad reviews on the HK site, the majority of those reviews are about the charger, not the flight characteristics. In fact just about everything I can find on the helicopter says that it flies great. It seems to me to be a bit on the dishonest side for you to make the claim that all HK helicopters or knockoffs are "junk".
It is an MCX knock-off, I didn't say it was junk and wasn't criticizing the flight characteristics. I have read posts that indicate more uneven quality than one would normally expect... not necessarily with this model.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 06:59 PM
Joined Nov 2011
68 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
It is an MCX knock-off, I didn't say it was junk
Old Jan 04, 2012, 08:16 PM
Joined Dec 2011
32 Posts
Hang in their Murdock... Everything is junk if it's not adjusted properly. Lots of brand snobs out there, but most stuff will come around if you tinker with it enough.
jrkull is offline Find More Posts by jrkull
Old Jan 04, 2012, 10:12 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,417 Posts
I didn't think I called it junk, sorry.
Old Jan 05, 2012, 11:11 AM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,588 Posts
I've got the HK-136, got one for my newbie dad and a coworker got one too. All flew perfect from the box. Might just be a bad one?

One thing to check is whether the controls are on low rates. If you've never flown an heli before you're likely to throw it into the wall at high rates...
V-Man is online now Find More Posts by V-Man