HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:58 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,070 Posts
At least he can't spell "tenacity" and makes us all try a little harder.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:40 PM
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Mar 2012
92 Posts
If I we're a rich man.............sing it with me.

Ok maybe if I was a financially stable is more like it but, one can dream.

I manage a local hobby shop and the owner is a "ground pounder" otherwise id run it past him. Beautiful work. Not much can be said that hasn't already except maybe the work is but a vessel of the builder. Imagine the tremendous effort that goes into these. I think the models speak volumes about the builder. A true treasure.

Bravo!
lostinthesun is offline Find More Posts by lostinthesun
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:43 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,737 Posts
Yep, not a rich man but I could not go on without one of Rob's creations in my house for at least a little while.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:54 PM
bangor, maine
Joined Jan 2008
330 Posts
spad finished cockpit

hi fella's, your going to have to forgive my spelling, i spelt(is spelt even a word?) dog (daug) the other day and thought that was right, a mind is a terrible thng to waste, this your brain and this is your brain on morphine. the cockpit is finally finished, i got the suround rvited on and with a little enginuity i got the fuel and( i believe it's oil) cap turned and assembled. the leather combing is attached along with the cabane struts. i also provided a couple of pics of the cockpit with the interior lights on. i'm working on the cowl and vertical louver vents right now and will post pics as soon as its completed. i did get the wings camo'd but forgot to take pics. BTW charlie i seem to be putting in a lot more detail than i antisipated at first so it's taking a bit more time. i'm going to try like heck to make a video of all the working functions and the plane taxiing around. you could probably achieve flight with this plane although i don't think it would handle to well, being a animated static model i was not worried about the weight.
Rob
spikkkkkkkk is offline Find More Posts by spikkkkkkkk
Last edited by spikkkkkkkk; Apr 25, 2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:50 AM
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,605 Posts
Wow, Rob! You've really outdone yourself with this one.

I don't think any of us will have to worry about charlie attempting to put this into the air. A glass case on his mantle will probably be about as far as it gets.

The LEDs are a nice touch. They are nicely hidden too.

-Mike
Stone1295 is online now Find More Posts by Stone1295
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:51 AM
United States, KY, Bowling Green
Joined Jul 2011
1,075 Posts
ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!!!

As I understand it this piece of Art will not be flown.

Please, when the Spad is all buttoned up and done, take a nice long detailed Hidef video showing all the control surfaces moving and pan and zoom on all of the wonderful detail.

I'm sure that would be greatly enjoyed by all that have followed this great build!!

Bill
Bill Smudge is offline Find More Posts by Bill Smudge
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:05 AM
bangor, maine
Joined Jan 2008
330 Posts
spad exhaust

some quick updates, i finished airbrushing the exhaust and installed them and i also made the rear stab braces and installed. right now i'm drawing the windscreen and all the cowl parts and louvers and getting them ready to etch, i'll have some more updates in a couple of days.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:09 AM
Pencil grip
Olympia, WA
Joined Feb 2008
1,233 Posts
Hey Rob,

As it appears you're getting close to wrapping this incredible build up, I've sent you a PM concerning another project.

-Matt
hoffboy is offline Find More Posts by hoffboy
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:52 PM
No dear, That isn't New!
USA, IL, Urbana
Joined Nov 2006
820 Posts
What a jewel! What do you think your going to be looking at for AUW? She sure is sweet!

Jim
pattypilot is offline Find More Posts by pattypilot
Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:17 PM
bangor, maine
Joined Jan 2008
330 Posts
spad grill

ive been working on the grill and really didn't know how to go about fabricating it. i dont have a replicraft spad plan set but do have portions of those pages in a folder. i decided i'd make them like the full size aircraft. this is an undertaking in itself especially at this scale. i made the frame out of 1/16" brass tube and rounded it on a wooden jig and useing a piece of 3/32" brass tube for a joining collar. the horizontals are made from 2 pieces of 0.016 inch brass sheet and soldered together for strength as there is going to be quite a few holes in them. i soldered the assembly together and drilled holes around the inside of the ring but only through the inside wall and then used a piece of 0.025 music wire cut to length to make the vertical rods, these will rotate in the holes. i'm in the process of making the louvers which will be made from 0.008 litho plate, two sides for every vertical rod. i made a jig from the same music wire i used for the verticals and place the wire in the middle of the precut piece of litho plate on a hardwood block with a channel cut into it and with a hardwood back i clamp them in a vice to form the round channel, about 0.012 in depth. these will be cold welded around the vertical post and will have a working louver when dry. that was pretty long winded, for me anyways. once it's all finshed the hole piece will screw down to the inside of the cowl, when i reach that stage i'll have some more pics. i treated the brass frame with brass black to give it a wheatherd look. i think it would be pretty cool if i hooked up a control wire to the throttle servo or a seperate servo tied into that rx channel and when you give it throttle not only does the throttle quadrant work in the cockpit but the louvers wood open and close again as you bring down the speed, just a thought.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:53 PM
Pencil grip
Olympia, WA
Joined Feb 2008
1,233 Posts
If you make those louvers work with the throttle, I will fall out of my chair in amazement.
hoffboy is offline Find More Posts by hoffboy
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:29 PM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jul 2011
161 Posts
Quote:
If you make those louvers work with the throttle, I will fall out of my chair in amazement.
I've been on the floor in stunned admiration since before the completion of his Sopwith Strutter. ( http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1319543)

The intense detail and perfection in craftsmanship leaves me more bewildered every time I visit a spikkkkkkkk thread.

I wish I had the means.... I would give anything to own a spikkkkkkkk masterpiece!

Bill
Billinaz is offline Find More Posts by Billinaz
Last edited by Billinaz; Apr 30, 2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old May 01, 2012, 06:23 PM
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,605 Posts
If you want to see some of Rob's earlier work, check out DCFlyer001 on RCUniverse.

Rob hung out there before coming here and there are at least 3 of his planes that site I believe.

Here's a link to his N-11 over there for example:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_98...tm.htm#9852263

-Mike
Stone1295 is online now Find More Posts by Stone1295
Old May 04, 2012, 05:44 AM
bangor, maine
Joined Jan 2008
330 Posts
spad cowl

hi all, i know on my last post i mentioned putting a servo to the cowl louvers and although doable because of the 70 to 80 hrs of work involved i decided against it. i thought it more important to get this plane done while i still can but would have loved to incorporate this feature in this build, sorry matt. in any case its an achivement in itself to have working metal lovers in a build of this size, something you don't see in alot of the larger builds and am sure you all can appreciate the front of this cowl as it is. i turned the radiator drain plug on my dremel( i have a 6 inch lathe that charlie had given me but its a little to big to do something this small or maybe it's my own inexperience with a lathe) and made a radiator out of alum.. the inner core are two pieces of aluminum mesh on top of each other , 1 vertical and 1 a t45 degrees to give it a semi corrigated look. the inner center section was achieved by stacking 3 layers of 0.16 alum. sheet and etching the shape and bonding together. all and all it was a definite project with in itself but didn't come out half bad. hope you like what ive done with everything so far charlie.
Old May 04, 2012, 08:08 AM
free flight or micro RC ???
Greece, Central Macedonia, Thessalonika
Joined May 2006
460 Posts
Rob, excellent work...

I hope you do not mind us repeating ourselves...

I have a favour to ask, if you could post some pictures of the underside of the fuselage, where the lg attaches and where the tank is.

I have to make it removable, to access the electronics and have not found enough photographic documentation for that, so I thought I could use your model...

Thanks,

George
g_kandylakis is offline Find More Posts by g_kandylakis