SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 03, 2012, 05:56 PM
Linux Compatible
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Dec 2007
418 Posts
Discussion
Free Flight FC or Multiwii? Also, some first build questions.

I'm looking at building my first multirotor and trying to decide on parts. I'm not new to tinkering being an engineer or RC copter flying, and am trying to find the best FC for FPV flying while not breaking the bank. I'm down to Multiwii or the Free Flight FC from goodluck.

I'm leaning towards the Free Flight because it has built in connections for camera servos, which I can use with the 9 channel Tx and Rx I already have, plus I hate board soldering.

So, I have a few questions and would love for you multirotor heads to answer some questions:

1) Would I need anything control-wise other than the free flight board to have the controls portion of the multirotor good to go? No extra boards for gyros or sensors?

2) Do the Multiwii boards available on good luck still need an arduino to function? I understand they would still need the wii components.

3) Are both stable enough for smooth flying in open air? Are there any quirks unique to each board?

Finally, some general questions:

1) Does picking a motor with a high KV rating (like 1000 or 1200) hurt the quads performance? From reading here a 750KV-ish motor should be enough to power it, but I'm curious.

2) Are there any guidelines for picking props other than what either the manufacturer suggests, or from recommendations here?

3) Are there any benefits to the X configuration versus the + configuration?

This is my winter project (I usually take one each year to keep from getting stir crazy in cold weather) and am far too excited to build one of these after watching FPV videos and realizing after years quads are finally buildable and affordable. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
machina is offline Find More Posts by machina
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2012, 06:14 PM
Suspended Account
UK, Buckinghamshire, High Wycombe
Joined Feb 2007
4,133 Posts
its late and im just off to bed but short answer is free flight runs stm32 multiwii runs atmega 328

stm is about 6 times better than atmega

get the free flight for 1st buiold as there is less to setup so not much to learn

get the multiwii if you fancy learning about how and why these flight controllers fly

both fly great multiwii takes more brains to setup right though
n3m1s1s is offline Find More Posts by n3m1s1s
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 04, 2012, 02:50 PM
Spain, CN
Joined Dec 2011
300 Posts
One video is better than a thousand words....

I have put FF in the frame, with all default settings, here is the result:

Xc450 xQUAD FF Free Flight controller First Flight (1 min 58 sec)
apejovic is online now Find More Posts by apejovic