HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2012, 04:48 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,995 Posts
Question
Ace Nautical Commander radio question for the Ace guru's

I am helping a friend get a boat refurbished. He purchased it used and has no knowledge or history of it. Everything has been handed over to me to try to figure it out.

I was just looking at the Ace radio. It has more sliders and toggle switches than I have seen before. It is labeled the "Deluxe Version". It has a 7-channel receiver.

My question is based on the fact it is a dual frequency radio! It has tags riveted to the outside of the case, showing the freq's. Inside it has two seperate boards, each with it's corresponding crystal. It has both 75Mhz and 27Mhz AM frequencies in it.

The 27Mhz board though, has nothing connected to it. But it certainly looks like it was factory installed.

Anyone familiar with these old Ace radios and know about the dual freq option and what it was used for?
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2012, 10:18 PM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
2,174 Posts
Kmot

I have a 5ch, second generation radio. What it is, is basically a 3ch. with 4 sliders , for ch 4-7. Read, winch, bowthruster, etc. Mine is 3ch + 2sliders. I have herd of that version, they were special order, from what I remember. The idea was that you could convert the radio to 27, without having to send it back to the factory. There was not a switching system, because the radio would have to be retuned, for the specific channel being installed. CaptLee, and I are still trying to see if there is a 2.4 convertion, for the AM (first & second gen.) radios. The third, and last run, were FM, and compatible with Futaba gear of that time. CaptCB
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Jan 03, 2012, 11:45 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,472 Posts
The dual radio option could only use one frequency board at a time.
All that was required was switching the power cable from one board to the other.
I have one of those transmitters around here somewhere. Picked it up as people were
letting their older radios go, and updating to newer equipment.

Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Jan 04, 2012, 01:03 AM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,995 Posts
Fascinating! Thanks for the info Charlie and Aimee!
Old Jan 04, 2012, 09:32 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,276 Posts
If anyone wants to part with a Nautical Commander I would be interested.
Regards,
Gerald.
steamboatmodel is offline Find More Posts by steamboatmodel
Old Jun 01, 2012, 02:12 AM
ir3
Joined Dec 2007
294 Posts
Hi Gerald,

Just posted an add for a NIB Nautical Commander Gold, complete, in the RCGroups Boat Classifieds.

Iran Ausley

IR3
ir3 is offline Find More Posts by ir3
Old Jun 01, 2012, 10:37 AM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,051 Posts
I have two of those dual freq 7 channel radios. I am not willing to part with them, but if you need pics or have questions I will try to help. And Umi is corect, all you need to do to swap between frequencies is move the plug around in the box. I am not sure about the rx side, though. The two I have (one is from my father) have always been on 75mhz.
Prinz has gone through a 2.4G conversion on his 5 channel, I believe. I will let him know about this thread.

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Jun 01, 2012, 11:00 AM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,819 Posts
I did see this Dave. jshander virtually did a Frankenstein on my NC. I installed the Assan Hack Module (easy to do) but the radio still didn't work. jshander found the encoder board was bad so he did a transplant from a old radio he had. When delivered back to me he demonstrated it and it worked fine. When I went to install it into the Badger the rx wouldn't bind. jshander is going to check it out again. His hack has worked good.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Jun 01, 2012, 11:35 AM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,995 Posts
Just a WAG, but I suppose if you had a boat set up on the second freq with it's own dedicated receiver installed then you could just swap the plug inside the Tx and then operate the second boat.

Of course, this is now ancient technology and todays 2.4G Tx's can control numerous different models without having anything to do except turn them on.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 08:41 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ir3 View Post
Hi Gerald,

Just posted an add for a NIB Nautical Commander Gold, complete, in the RCGroups Boat Classifieds.

Iran Ausley

IR3
Unfortunately I have recently bought a mini mill and that has left my hobby funds flat or I would grab it.
Regards,
Gerald.
steamboatmodel is offline Find More Posts by steamboatmodel
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:48 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boater_dave View Post
I have two of those dual freq 7 channel radios. I am not willing to part with them, but if you need pics or have questions I will try to help. And Umi is corect, all you need to do to swap between frequencies is move the plug around in the box. I am not sure about the rx side, though. The two I have (one is from my father) have always been on 75mhz.
Prinz has gone through a 2.4G conversion on his 5 channel, I believe. I will let him know about this thread.

Dave
Dave: Is there a user manual for my nautical commander by ace r/c?

Bob
Bob Don is offline Find More Posts by Bob Don
Old Jul 11, 2012, 02:08 AM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
2,174 Posts
Manual for Nautical Commander radio

Pretty much, self explanatory. Just plug in what you want to operate, on the correct channel pins, plug in a 4.8-6.0v battery pack, and turn it on. One of us probably has one somewhere though. CaptCB
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:39 PM
太刀風
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Jan 2003
1,107 Posts
Thank you Kmot, I have two of these units and still do not have a manual for them.
Tachikaze is online now Find More Posts by Tachikaze
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:02 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,051 Posts
Thanks Kmot for posting the manual. I would have had to dig mine out of deep storage. And CaptCB is right. These units are from the 'before time', no programming needed. Plug in your stuff and go.

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave