HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2012, 11:29 PM
Joined Aug 2009
259 Posts
Jeff you bought wing mounts? May I ask why? You do realize your stiffing up the rear end. If you do this the wing wire will act as a sway bar. By doing this it will give you less rear traction. The karts are notorious for their great rear traction so your actually killing the design. I guess you could loosen up the muffler mounts but not sure how that would work.

Cart Miester
Cart Miester is offline Find More Posts by Cart Miester
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:20 AM
United States, AL, Dothan
Joined Dec 2011
102 Posts
On my wing mounts, I had to grind the bottom of the mount that goes next to the motor down so it would fit in between the chassis rails, did not alter the chassis. Admit that I have not raced it yet; but kart appears to handle real well.

WoodyT
larc is offline Find More Posts by larc
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:45 AM
Joined Dec 2004
239 Posts
here is some video of larc running his kart with the wing mounted.

cavier is offline Find More Posts by cavier
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:19 AM
Team Edge
Joined Oct 2011
924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart Miester View Post
Jeff you bought wing mounts? May I ask why? You do realize your stiffing up the rear end. If you do this the wing wire will act as a sway bar. By doing this it will give you less rear traction. The karts are notorious for their great rear traction so your actually killing the design. I guess you could loosen up the muffler mounts but not sure how that would work.

Cart Miester

It won't cause the kart to loose traction. The wing wire isn't stiff enough CM. Trust me we of all people should know. True one could loosen up the muffler support screws and yes, it is a way for many of us to adjust more or less traction but adding the wing wire and mounts? It won't act as a strut bar or as you call it sway bar, and by the way there is a difference between the two CM......... LOL. Once again, your being one of those who always tries to make the karts more difficult and more advance than what they are, Stop it CM. And even if it the wing wire causes some stiffness lets say, what? maybe a mere 3% less traction if that? Chances are even with your driving skills you wouldn't notice the extra stiffness. Try installing the mounts as he did, it looks darn good in the handling department if you ask me. Larc did a fantastic job we think.

Robert
Team Edge RC is offline Find More Posts by Team Edge RC
Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:26 AM
EatenDirt
TN
Joined Jun 2009
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavier View Post

You guys some cheap garden hose and run a track outline. Many of us do it for practice on Sundays. Run the hose straight out the day before so its not all curly. I forgot one weekend and the hose wouldn't stay laying flat. Another thing is chalk taped to a stick? Use it as a marker on the pavement for a track outline. It washes off easily to. Both of these ideas are not pvc or clic a trac but it works for a instant track to run on.

Eatendirt
EatenDirt is offline Find More Posts by EatenDirt
Old Mar 22, 2012, 08:28 PM
Me Toby You?
Jacksonville FL
Joined Jan 2011
423 Posts
Wanted to let everyone know I just bought some wing mounts, 8.95! heck of deal guys!

Toby
Toby Warren is offline Find More Posts by Toby Warren
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:00 PM
Joined Nov 2009
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Warren View Post
Wanted to let everyone know I just bought some wing mounts, 8.95! heck of deal guys!

Toby

What? You of all people decided to go with the mounts instead of the tubes? I'm was thinking about it just to be different. Please post a pix or two for me when you get them on ok? Someone else has them in here other than Larc or Cavier but refuses to post their pixs. Not sure why, its not as if its top secret.

NSX
NissanNSX is offline Find More Posts by NissanNSX
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:44 PM
Joined Dec 2011
102 Posts
What do you use or how do you secur the pinion to the motor shaft?

WoodyT
Old Mar 31, 2012, 01:52 PM
Me Toby You?
Jacksonville FL
Joined Jan 2011
423 Posts
Do you have a real Hobby Wing? Many fakes out there Larc. Even though most fakes do have branding stating otherwise. Did you get it from Robert and Todd? If the pinion is loose, take and apply super glue after slightly scruffing the shaft. Apply it on the motor shaft then slide your pinion on. Allow it to dry well before powering up your kart. The shaft? It is 2mm? You might want to ask Robert or Todd but if my memory serves me correct, the pinion should go about 1/8th of a inch from the outer endbell or can. Don't hold me to it but I think thats right. I haven't had my motor out since I put it in. I really couldn't be positive Larc.

Toby
Toby Warren is offline Find More Posts by Toby Warren
Old Mar 31, 2012, 05:27 PM
Out side of Destin FL.
Joined Sep 2009
339 Posts
Try fluxing it good and like he said, make sure the shaft is roughed up. Slip on your pinion 1/8-1/4 inch from your endbell. Next sweat it using a good screaming hot iron. Mines never came off yet. Your solder should flow right under your pinion for a good bond. If not use the glue. It also works good.

JB'
djskiptonic is offline Find More Posts by djskiptonic
Old Mar 31, 2012, 07:07 PM
number6
Alabama / Arab Al
Joined Apr 2009
213 Posts
+1 on the glue. Its easiest and a pinion puller will remove it if need be.
Number6 is offline Find More Posts by Number6
Old Mar 31, 2012, 07:08 PM
number6
Alabama / Arab Al
Joined Apr 2009
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavier View Post

Look like your getting the hang of it by using the parking lines. Good idea bro.
Number6 is offline Find More Posts by Number6
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:39 PM
Team Edge
Joined Oct 2011
924 Posts
******Woody, your pinion should be installed to the tip of the motor shaft. Personally, when when we build one of our karts for racing, we find the gears to show no wear with 1/16th of an inch of the shaft showing through the pinion. I also have the same on my personal kart and the gears are going on to their 5th year including my pinion and the diff. Hope this is what you're wanting to know. Sorry about the earlier email, Toby didn't explain much about your question. Sorry.......

Robert
Team Edge RC is offline Find More Posts by Team Edge RC
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:42 AM
Joined Dec 2011
102 Posts
Two more questions - The rules that I recieved indicate that the Front tire width is 8.5 inches. When I measure mine, it is right at 8 inches. First question is the 8.5 a max figure to allow some leway in the setting for personal preference? How wide do most of you have your front tires?
2nd question - Rules indicate that the kart wheel base - 8 inches. Mine measures 6 7/8 inches from center of front to center of rear wheels. Is that a miss type in the rules or am I measureing it wrong?

WoodyT
Old Apr 01, 2012, 07:22 PM
Always were your sun glasses!
Joined Oct 2010
321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larc View Post
Two more questions - The rules that I recieved indicate that the Front tire width is 8.5 inches. When I measure mine, it is right at 8 inches. First question is the 8.5 a max figure to allow some leway in the setting for personal preference? How wide do most of you have your front tires?
2nd question - Rules indicate that the kart wheel base - 8 inches. Mine measures 6 7/8 inches from center of front to center of rear wheels. Is that a miss type in the rules or am I measureing it wrong?

WoodyT

I'll try to help out larc.

The rules that I recieved indicate that the Front tire width is 8.5 inches. When I measure mine, it is right at 8 inches.

REPLY: YES, mine is set at 8 to. Anything more is sloppy IMHO. You'll see drivers pushing the envelope at 8.5 but personally its sloppy entering the turns.

Rules indicate that the kart wheel base - 8 inches. Mine measures 6 7/8 inches from center of front to center of rear wheels. Is that a miss type in the rules or am I measureing it wrong?

REPLY: Interesting, Don't recall seeing it in the rules but, you can't change wheel base that I know of. Don't see how and if you could. If you did steering would be off and very slow. Karts need quick steering to get in and out of corners fast. Your kart should handle like a 10th scale pan car but with front end push like a real kart. I'll measure mine later or if someone else wants to post their wheel base finds. We all have the same that I'm aware of.

Lead
Leadhauler is offline Find More Posts by Leadhauler