SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 03, 2012, 06:29 AM
Vilnius, Lithuania (EU)
Joined May 2009
594 Posts
New Product
Inertial camera stabilization

The first model of Ecilop aircraft (2 min 45 sec)

The key advantages of Ecilop drones compared to other commercial light multi-copters (the list was compiled at the end of 2011):

1. The use of an onboard battery as a counterweight for the camera unit enhances the stabilization effect.

2. The use of a counterweight enables the implementation of a compact, lightweight and rigid rotation mechanism.

3. The relocation of the battery to the stabilized platform produces a favorable effect on the maneuverability of the drone.

4. Absence of a hard connection with the servo-unit prevents camera jerks and jitter.

5. Adjustable fixtures make it possible to easily obtain accurate balancing of the camera gimbal in three dimensions.

6. Precise balancing of the camera mount makes it possible to use lightweight and fast servo-units.

7. Electronic gyroscopes are installed on the stabilizable part of the camera mount and prevent swaying.

8. Soft shock absorbers suppresses vibrations in a wide range of frequencies.

9. Shock absorbers are installed on the same level with rotation axis, which prevents camera swaying during maneuvering.

10. Onboard electronics is installed on the platform with shock absorbers. The increased weight of the platform makes it more stable.

11. Autopilot accelerometers are better protected from vibrations and therefore produce more accurate results.

12. The matching of the vertical center of mass of the drone with the rotor rotation plane decreases drone swaying during maneuvering.

13. The leaning of rotor blades towards of the drone's center improves stability and widens the camera's viewing angle.

14. The camera is fastened using a lens clamp. This type of fixture is more reliable, compact and weighs less than an underlying platform.
Zaitsevsky is offline Find More Posts by Zaitsevsky
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Zaitsevsky; Jun 11, 2012 at 05:12 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2012, 06:47 AM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Well, you've already got a camera on it, where are the onboard shots?
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Jan 03, 2012, 06:59 AM
Vilnius, Lithuania (EU)
Joined May 2009
594 Posts
need some free time and a good weather. Temporary data will not be demonstrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamnitpete View Post
Well, you've already got a camera on it, where are the onboard shots?
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 03, 2012, 07:02 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Finally, some innovation.
What about flight control electronics? Also custom?
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 03, 2012, 08:04 AM
Vilnius, Lithuania (EU)
Joined May 2009
594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
Finally, some innovation.
What about flight control electronics? Also custom?
It was tested with Arduino, MK and one new "no_name" controller.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 03, 2012, 08:27 AM
Joined Jul 2011
123 Posts
This is Steadycam for copter, and Steadycam Patents expired in the 90`.
Do you have a link to your registration, I would like to see what
exactly has been patented.
Hypam is offline Find More Posts by Hypam
Old Jan 03, 2012, 09:06 AM
Vilnius, Lithuania (EU)
Joined May 2009
594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypam View Post
This is Steadycam for copter, and Steadycam Patents expired in the 90`.
Do you have a link to your registration, I would like to see what
exactly has been patented.
Inertial camera stabilization system was invented one century ago. Stedycam is a brand only. They patented a body supported mount. Priority date for my invention is 2011 june. It is published in lithuanian only. PCT patent (WO) must be published in 2012. Invention - haw to combine inertial and active stabilization.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 03, 2012, 09:17 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Obviously impressive, where the heck are the aerial shots from the copter?
How much$$$$$?
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Old Jan 03, 2012, 10:53 AM
Vilnius, Lithuania (EU)
Joined May 2009
594 Posts
price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarro View Post
Obviously impressive, where the heck are the aerial shots from the copter?
How much$$$$$?
Price for the first commercial model will be known in march. I'm not planing to monopolize this technology. Licensed production will be allowed.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 03, 2012, 10:56 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaitsevsky View Post
Price for the first commercial model will be known in march. I'm not planing to monopolize this technology. Licensed production will be allowed.
Great, I will be looking for it.
Thanks
Old Jan 03, 2012, 11:24 AM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Apr 2006
710 Posts
Agreed, it uses the same principles implemented in gimbal type stabilizers (steadicam, glidecam, etc...)

Advantage:
I already can tell the footage will be smoother than anything out there currently. I have a steadicam, and that's how a correctly balanced gimbal will behave.

Disadvantage:
Camera setup and balancing is going to be a PITA. You have to dedicate a camera and battery weight combination. Change anything, and you will be out of balance and have to rebalance.

It shouldn't be too expensive, since it relies on good mechanics and physics application rather than software or electronics. I'd say sub-$500 is definitely possible.
chris24g is offline Find More Posts by chris24g
Old Jan 03, 2012, 11:36 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris24g View Post
It shouldn't be too expensive, since it relies on good mechanics and physics application rather than software or electronics. I'd say sub-$500 is definitely possible.
I don't know about sub $500, you have to use that copter frame as well so you are buying the whole system. Not just the camera mount.
Old Jan 03, 2012, 11:36 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
I really dig that frame. For many reasons. Infact I think I'll make one myself for a next project.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Old Jan 03, 2012, 11:39 AM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jul 2004
2,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaitsevsky View Post
http://vimeo.com/34380349

The key advantages of Ecilop drones compared to other commercial light multi-copters (the list was compiled at the end of 2011):

1. The use of an onboard battery as a counterweight for the camera unit enhances the stabilization effect.

2. The use of a counterweight enables the implementation of a compact, lightweight and rigid rotation mechanism.

3. The relocation of the battery to the stabilized platform produces a favorable effect on the maneuverability of the drone.

4. Absence of a hard connection with the servo-unit prevents camera jerks and jitter.

5. Adjustable fixtures make it possible to easily obtain accurate balancing of the camera gimbal in three dimensions.

6. Precise balancing of the camera mount makes it possible to use lightweight and fast servo-units.

7. Electronic gyroscopes are installed on the stabilizable part of the camera mount and prevent swaying.

8. Soft shock absorbers suppresses vibrations in a wide range of frequencies.

9. Shock absorbers are installed on the same level with rotation axis, which prevents camera swaying during maneuvering.

10. Onboard electronics is installed on the platform with shock absorbers. The increased weight of the platform makes it more stable.

11. Autopilot accelerometers are better protected from vibrations and therefore produce more accurate results.

12. The matching of the vertical center of mass of the drone with the rotor rotation plane decreases drone swaying during maneuvering.

13. The leaning of rotor blades towards of the drone's center improves stability and widens the camera's viewing angle.

14. The camera is fastened using a lens clamp. This type of fixture is more reliable, compact and weighs less than an underlying platform.

Optimization of the construction is still under way. Material shot in motion will be added soon.

Absolutely BRILLIANT!!!! Your creativity and engineering skills are amazing!!
AlanFlorida is offline Find More Posts by AlanFlorida
Old Jan 03, 2012, 11:40 AM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Apr 2006
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarro View Post
I don't know about sub $500, you have to use that copter frame as well so you are buying the whole system.
ok, add the cost of 6 pieces of aluminum tubing and some screws
chris24g is offline Find More Posts by chris24g